U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 02:07 PM

18 posts, read 55,632 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move out to Sidney, NE but we are big town folk (Chicagoland). Although my dh grew up in a small town, the closest city was 1/2 hour away. What can you tell me about Sidney now? Are there "good parts" of town? "Bad parts" we should stay out of? We were planning on renting but that looks near impossible from what we could do with our research. Schools are not a concern about safety is. Are there any neighborhoods that are more "liberal" in nature that we may find more comfortable? We are also considering Gurley. Any info about that town would be helpful as well. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 PM

696 posts, read 1,575,184 times
The whole town is smaller then a Chicago neighborhood.

You might want to take a drive out there.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:52 PM

Oh my. I thought with four elementary schools there'd be some sort of range. We're going out all of next week. We'll be meeting with a realtor and of course picking up the paper. Any suggestions for us?

Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM

370 posts, read 1,220,011 times
Sidney is a town of about 5,000 people. While I'm sure there are some neighborhoods that aren't as nice as others, there are really no "bad" parts of town like you may find in Chicago, Denver, or even Omaha.

If you set your home-buying price at $100K or above, you'll be sure to be in a "nicer" neighborhood. Gurley is a very rural town, but has become somewhat of a bedroom community for folks working in Sidney (Cabela's corporate).

You will be in for definite culture shock, but there is nothing wrong with living in a small town. What you lack in shopping or cultural activities, you make up for in small town, small school events (if you have kids), closeness, friendliness, etc.

Just prepare yourself, it will be a big switch--not that there is anything wrong with that. I've lived in Omaha and now live in a town of less than 5,000 people. Wouldn't go back.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:35 AM

370 posts, read 1,220,011 times
Also, as far as being "close" to a larger town, Scottbluff/Gering (25,000) is about and hour and a half away. Sterling, CO (25,000) is about 45 minutes away. Cheyenne, WY is about 1.25 hours, and Denver is about 2.5. Ft. Collins/Loveland (home of the Balloon Boy) is about 2 hours.

If you are into hunting/fishing, there is a ton of hunting land nearby, but you'll need the Cabela's connection as most of it is leased up for a premium price. Excellent fishing can be found an hour away at Lake McConaughy. Plus it has nice sandy beaches for summer fun.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:05 AM

Thank you very much for the help. That helps a lot. I'm not into hunting or fishing my dh sure is and will be happy to get back into it. We'll look at houses in the 100k and up. Its always nice to know the better parts of town when you're raising kids. We could probably afford more than that but we like to live more simply whenever possible. We want a bare minimum house in a good neighborhood. Of course, we had to spend double that in the chicagoland area for "safe".

We are excited to be going out. A change of pace will be nice.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 PM

696 posts, read 1,575,184 times
City Overview

As of 2009, Sidney's population is 6,477 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 1.43 percent.
The median home cost in Sidney is $69,570. Home appreciation the last year has been -3.70 percent.
Compared to the rest of the country, Sidney's cost of living is 23.82% Lower than the U.S. average.
Sidney public schools spend $6,062 per student. The average school expenditure in the U.S. is $6,058. There are about 13 students per teacher in Sidney.
The unemployment rate in Sidney is 4.00 percent(U.S. avg. is 8.50%). Recent job growth is Negative. Sidney jobs have Decreased by 2.60 percent.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:09 PM

24 posts, read 72,843 times
WendyGrace, I don't think you realize just how tiny Sidney is. Walmart is the only department store (besides Cabelas), and it's 1/3 the size of a regular one. For chains restaraunts, there's DQ, Mcdonalds, Runza (a regional fast food chain), Pizza hut, a couple more random ones, and a few local places--and by a few, I mean five or six. For entertainment, there's a one screen second run theater, a few bars, and a bowling alley with twelve lanes. As far as I know there's no night life to speak of (which, on a side note, is perfectly fine with me!) You can drive through the entire city in ten minutes, and you zip by it on the interstate in about three minutes.

I don't care for Sidney, but I don't hate it. There are some nice people there, and you are sure to make good friends if you're friendly back. One more thing I should warn you about is that in the Midwest, people are not usually outgoing and usually won't welcome you into their circle, not because they're unfriendly, just because they don't know how. So it'd be a good idea to take the initiative in friendships and I'm sure you'll be rewarded.

Like others have said, you will absolutely want to visit before you make up your mind to avoid a shock! I hope you like it; if Sidney could grow by just another 5,000 or so it would be a nearly perfect small town.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:57 AM

Thanks for your concern. You are right. I am trying to be upbeat about it. It will be a shock. I nearly cried when I heard the nearest Target is 1 1/2 hours away. I have three that I am a regular around here and at least 7 within an easy drive. Walmarts around here are Supercenters and I have 4 nearby! It will be a shock. I can't even find a consignment store, goodwill or resale shop!

I know making friends will be hard and that is one concern. My dh will get along just fine with the "good ole boy" network. I, otoh, am a bit different then most. Finding friends here was hard enough. I'm sure I'll have a very tough time out there.

Any good "artsy" coffee shops?

Old 10-17-2009, 11:16 AM

29 posts, read 68,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendygrace View Post
We are considering a move out to Sidney, NE but we are big town folk (Chicagoland). Although my dh grew up in a small town, the closest city was 1/2 hour away. What can you tell me about Sidney now? Are there "good parts" of town? "Bad parts" we should stay out of? We were planning on renting but that looks near impossible from what we could do with our research. Schools are not a concern about safety is. Are there any neighborhoods that are more "liberal" in nature that we may find more comfortable? We are also considering Gurley. Any info about that town would be helpful as well. Thanks!
Wendy, I'm serious about asking this, are you out of your mind? Sydney is nothing more than a place to stop for gas, nothing else! There's nothing close to, or after you leave that town. Isolated is beyond a word to describe Sydney. You're leaving a city like Chicago (which has a Alpha world class ranking, same as LA and NYC, the only 3 in America with that title), to a town that almost nobody in America has even heard of. Not to mention the kinda healthcare and all the other crap that goes along with moving to a town that small an isolated. You should seriously rethink your plans and pick somewhere else. I cant imagine the odds if they were 1 in 1 million that someone could make that move, and end up happy in a town like Sydney. Towns like that, in that part of the country, are strictly for people who grew up there. The adjustment is just too great.

Have you ever been out west? The west is a lot different as far as how sparcly populated and how isolated it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska