U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 PM

15 posts, read 39,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich lankford View Post
I lived in Palmer for 20 years.there are friendly folks and not so friendly .Most all that live in Palmer NE are related one to another.Palmer is mostly a farming community. I heard in the resent past that Palmer was interested in outoftowners moving there.As far as black/Hispanic&other races that live there,they live there because someones son or daughter either married or is dating them. If you are friendly,honest and can contribute economically to the village of Palmer NE,I believe you would enjoy living there!
Thank you for the info. I was hoping that I would eventually here from someone that lives or lived in Palmer. Can you tell me more about the town both good and bad. I assume driving is must there. I'd really like to here about it and it's people from the eyes of someone has lived there as I begin making my decision. Researching online just isn't the same as word of mouth, sometimes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 03:59 PM

13 posts, read 17,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
I would offer you that as in most small Nebraska Communitities people would not go out of their way to act negatively towards minorities. We practice the behind closed doors kinder gentler type of bigotry. It's not even that we really dislike African-Americans, most small town Nebraskans just don't know how to react to them. They probably only encounter African American's a couple times a year if at all. You'd be more likely to encounter racial insensitivity based on incompetance than outright racism.
Even a white person moving to Palmer will still be treated like an outsider. Palmer isn't any different from other small towns, they need the infusion of new people and yet will hold you at arms length because you aren't at least third generation local bred.

Small town people may say they like change, but they really don't. If you come to live and you're white, they will be suspicious of what changes you might try to bring. You come to town and you're black, you just brought change with you for sure.

So, it isn't whether you are black or white, small town people just will have problems letting you be part of them. Be prepared to be an outsider forever.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:58 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,735,743 times
That's entirely untrue. First, if you live in a big city there is no difference between "outsides" and "insiders." So its not like cities are superior in this way. They simply don't have that sense of a tight knit community. If i move into downtown Chicago its not like that community "takes me in" in anyway. I'm simply anonymous, which is fine, but it can't be compared to life in a small town in that context.

Now, in a small community you might feel like an outsider at first, but that's to be expected. Its no different than being the new kid at school. Of course it'll take some time. It'll take you time to get used to the community too. Its really just common sense.

But the idea that you will "always" be an outsides is just untrue. I grew up in a town not too far from Palmer and of similar size and demographics. There were a number of new people who moved in while i was growing up and ALL of them were treated well and became members of the community. And, yes, that also included minority families.

I think in most cases the "outsider" feeling that people talk about is more a statement of the mental state of the person moving in than the actual treatment received. If you are a nice person who is active in the community with a positive attitude you will have no problems at all. I don't care if you're white, black, brown, red, purple, or orange.

I do wonder how many of the people giving opinions about living in a small town have actually lived in one.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:55 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,858,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
But the idea that you will "always" be an outsides is just untrue. I grew up in a town not too far from Palmer and of similar size and demographics. There were a number of new people who moved in while i was growing up and ALL of them were treated well and became members of the community. And, yes, that also included minority families.

I think in most cases the "outsider" feeling that people talk about is more a statement of the mental state of the person moving in than the actual treatment received. If you are a nice person who is active in the community with a positive attitude you will have no problems at all. I don't care if you're white, black, brown, red, purple, or orange.

I do wonder how many of the people giving opinions about living in a small town have actually lived in one.
I tend to agree.
Having moved to no less than 10 small towns (and villages) in the last 20 years, I can say that you aren't an outsider forever.
You are indeed treated a bit stand-offish-ly for a while (how long depends upon community), but with time and your own demonstration of interest in the community, that fades.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:06 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,735,743 times
That said, I'm not saying a move from NYC to Palmer will be easy. The lifestyle is entirely different and the adjustment might be difficult. All I'm saying is the problem won't be due to people accepting you. The problem will lifestyle changes and the change in lifestyle pace.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:11 PM

8,294 posts, read 14,027,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
I've lived in several small towns (one was under 500 people), and now live in Omaha.

The one defining thing that I've found to be different is actually very simple: People in smaller towns pay a LOT more attention to each other than do people in cities.

This is both good and bad - but mostly good. However, if you're from a big city and move to a small town, it is going to be quite a shock the first time a neighbor says, "Say... See ya got home pretty late last night."

Old 03-13-2010, 12:33 PM

3,284 posts, read 1,031,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I've lived in several small towns (one was under 500 people), and now live in Omaha.

The one defining thing that I've found to be different is actually very simple: People in smaller towns pay a LOT more attention to each other than do people in cities.

This is both good and bad - but mostly good. However, if you're from a big city and move to a small town, it is going to be quite a shock the first time a neighbor says, "Say... See ya got home pretty late last night."
I, too, have lived in a very small town, and yes, everyone has to know everone's business. People get bored...

Personally, I would be very reluctant as a white person to move to a town of 1000pop of all blacks and I wouldn't expect it to be any different for the OP.

Most would be just fine, but you always have your racist a-holes that have to make their opinions known. This goes for all races, hence the reason why I'd never move to an all black small town myself.

Good luck though, that is my 2 cents.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Wow, I didn't think of that. lol But you never know, it could've been like that scene in that Truman Show movie where they blindly put their finger on the map to decide where they move next and it turns out to be Fiji. Maybe the OP is tired of New York and just randomly came across Palmer, NE.

But that was a clever observation of yours.
Actually my fiance was living there while she was settling a custody dispute. I am a born and raised New Yorker that grew up with in the East New York/Brownsville section of Brooklyn along Pitkin and East NY ave. I would like to thank all those that added to this post.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
I, too, have lived in a very small town, and yes, everyone has to know everone's business. People get bored...

Personally, I would be very reluctant as a white person to move to a town of 1000pop of all blacks and I wouldn't expect it to be any different for the OP.

Most would be just fine, but you always have your racist a-holes that have to make their opinions known. This goes for all races, hence the reason why I'd never move to an all black small town myself.

Good luck though, that is my 2 cents.
Thanks and I completely,agree with you. I will be visiting Palmer in May because I finally have enough off work time to spend a week there and get the vibe of the town. I am hoping for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska