Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:35 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,322,511 times

Advertisements

I've been! What a wonderful state if where I went was anything to go by.

Travelled by road with a friend and we passed through Big Springs and Brule to Ogallala, then up to Arthur where we stayed Wednesday night at the motel there. Fascinating town and it was around 1pm Thursday when we finally left after hanging around so that we could have a second visit to the bar there - great food!

So much to see in such a small town and on our way in to town on Wednesday evening we saw some of the local youngsters practicing their horseback lariat skills on calves. Thursday morning we saw inside the old, tiny County Jail, the old courthouse and the church - the latter two both made of baled hay. There's also a 19th century log cabin which was built for Buffalo Bill which you can go into, the doors are left open.

The scenery between Ogallala and Arthur reminded me of parts of upland England, on the moors. Many photos taken but I have more than 2 weeks still in the US so it will be a while before I can post photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 09:06 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,208,816 times
Good to hear!

Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,150,153 times
Oh wow!! I'm so glad this thread was revived. I missed it the first time. I live south of McCook near the KS border and this sounds like a wonderful one or two day outing!

So happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to Nebraska, Bernice. And, yes, if/when you return to Nebraska DO make time for a full day at Pioneer Village in Minden. I've been there 3 times and never get tired of it. It is perhaps the largest collection of pure Americana in the entire country and equally remarkable is the story of the museum, itself. I took some visiting friends to it several years ago and they insisted we go back again the next day because we didn't see it all the first time. It is far and away the BEST museum of its kind I have ever seen.

Although I haven't been to the Archway Monument in Kearney, everyone who has visited it tells me how much they enjoyed it so keep that one in mind, too.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,322,511 times
We were SO impressed by the friendliness of people we met. Everyone had time to stop and chat. I'll definitely be returning to Nebraska.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:14 PM

187 posts, read 465,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Thanks for the responses. Provisional schedule - I'll be driving from Denver up to Pine Bluffs WY and then east through Kimball and Sidney on the 30 (Highway?) to Chappell, up to Berea, and then on to Ogalalla where I'm thinking of staying one night.
Second day, on to Roscoe (Paxton is a possibility), up to Arthur and down to Imperial to stay the night there. And the next day back to Denver via Benkelman and St Francis KS.
Lots of small town photo opportunities for me! Arthur is going to be one of the highlights of my US visit - the only church in the world built of bales of straw.

Many thanks for the info on Minden, I'll keep Kearney County in mind if I return to Nebraska sometime.
If you're taking that general route, I'd recommend going thru the Wildcats! it's beautiful & will get you close to Chimney Rock & Scottsbluff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska