U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-17-2007, 05:21 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,996,025 times

Advertisements

alright futureTexan, I need to clear a few things up here...
yes we get severe weather here and tornados...however, I have never seen a tornado and am 29years old, also besides the one time I saw hail the size of baseballs, all the hail I've seen was small... The winters can get cold for a period, but not nearly as long as it used to and really the transition into winter makes it alot more bearable, summers seem to have got cooler also, yet every year I think we top 100 degrees on average 1-2 and over 90 about 10-15 days a year... Seriously the football-sized hail is so rare that it has happened twice in recorded history, and 99.99999% of people will never see it who are from this state.
Another is that people from out of state usually come here with the intention of encountering the 4 seasons, and realize that it is not as bad as advertised, and there are benefits to having some cooler days as well as warmer days, we don't get nearly as bad as North Dakota for the cold, nor nearly has bad as Texas or Vegas for the heat.. extremes here will always happen, but the extremes here are most definetely not on a regular basis...
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 06:00 PM

149 posts, read 304,938 times
thanks for the info! we are just looking for a place to live that has severe weather, and is not going to tax us to death...plus low crime....but I also realize that the weather events are only every so often...I realize and accept the fact that I will more than likely never see a tornado, but just want to be where the threat is...you have to understand how boring CA weather truly is for a weather nut...I appreciate the info, and am glad to hear that the heat isn't as bad as I have heard...Texas will fry us for sure...

Old 05-18-2007, 07:21 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,138,175 times
You do know there are people that chase storms right? You may not live right in the path of an oncoming tornado but I know there are groups of people who get together to chase them and take videos and pictures.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:10 AM

yes, have looked into those as well, and might join a tour group in the future, but also plan on chasing on my own.....as I look out the window, it is 59 degrees, sunny, and calm..............blah...............

Old 05-19-2007, 01:55 AM

416 posts, read 1,797,253 times
You need to respect mother nature. You could be killed in a heart beat. When I moved to Phoenix area in 03, my son was almost killed by lightning! No joke, weather is no joke at all!

Old 05-19-2007, 08:46 AM

yea you are right...in CA you can sit outside, in a metal lawn chair, and talk on the phone and still be ok during a t-storm.....
my uncle used to live in show low, and he saw a man killed by lightening, and his wife badly injured....but i would still have to be out in it...that is just me..

Old 05-19-2007, 04:22 PM

Smile ..

I have seen some SPECTACULAR cloud formations though, Severe weather can be some of the most beautiful events in nature... Every year there are many severe storms that roll through that are breathtaking... There are ALOT of wind storms here, golf-ball sized hail is not uncommon here either, I have not seen a tornado touch the ground, however I have seen many wall clouds, and funnel clouds (tornados in the air that do not touch the ground), what you see in the photos on the internet of the breathtaking views actually happen here and is even more breathtaking in person!! It's by far the best free show in my opinion..

Even people who are not the weather obsessed get into an awe state when this type of weather rolls in.. You'll see people in parking lots, on the side of the road, on their fron porch it is awesome, and in the winter sometimes we get thunder snow which is cool, also the scenery after a snow fall is awesome too, however it usually melts within days

Last edited by ehenningsen; 05-19-2007 at 04:58 PM..

Old 05-19-2007, 09:32 PM

thanks for telling me about what you get to see out there!!..it only makes me want to move all the more....a few times a year we get t-storms here, but they are pretty lame...one time I saw a funnel cloud with the large inflow jet, and lightening...it was in the southern end of the san joaquin valley...the news said a funnel briefly touched down, then lifted...always an F-0, but it was still exciting for me to see..

so another question....I have always heard that omaha has a bad gang problem and lots of crime...is this true??

Old 05-19-2007, 09:43 PM

Smile ...

Omaha is becoming a large city, so gangs will exist here from now until the utter destruction of the city :-)... however, compared to other cities in the US the crime rate is actually quite low! There is crime here, no doubt, however, if you don't roam the streets at 3AM wearing a mini skirt that is revealing with gold and diamond jewelry in a drunken stupor yelling profanities at a gang of just recently broke people coming off of a month long meth high... then your chances of not being a victim of a crime here are REALLY good

Look at it this way, I have no fears wandering the streets of Omaha because I know that I am not attracting attention and at the same time I know that this is one of the safest cities in america, people here are generally on the nice side compared to the coasts and are more forgiving...

Last edited by ehenningsen; 05-19-2007 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-19-2007, 10:24 PM

ok, that's good to know!...so many places to check out..in your opinion, what is a better area to retire to...omaha, lincoln, kearney or grand island???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska