Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 06:56 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,835,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I have been in local restaurants in central Nebraska and every one was speaking German. However they do speak perfect English, but it is obvious that for some of them Germen is their first language. During WWII German POW's were sent to Nebraska to work in the fields. When the war was over a large number of them stayed.
Nebraska had a lot of German-Americans long before even WW1, because of immigration from the 1840s-1890, or so. My own family was part of that wave...

Old 07-15-2016, 07:38 PM

889 posts, read 1,043,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallombrosa View Post
On the misery index, which is worse - Texas summers or Nebraska winters?

Nebraska winters, easily......I'll suffer through 110 degree Summers over 20 degree winters (and snow/Ice) anyday......and its not like Nebraska dont get hot during the Summers, mostly 90's but some 100 degree days as well.....Texas (DFW anyway) rarely gets 20 or even 30 degree days in the Winter, and Snow/Ice is not typical...and when it does snow or ice, it melts the next day.....unlike in Nebraska where you can sometimes still see snow on the ground in March, that fell in November, and its all dirty and nasty looking....

Old 07-15-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp1 View Post
Touche. There is something for everyone in this grand USA. BUT....: LBJ: Vietnam; GWB: Iraq; and if you want to include WWII...Dwight David Eisenhower was born in Denton TX. I asked a retired Naval officer cab driver why it appears that Texas starts all our wars? His reply: "They like to fight." Enjoy your 'warmongering' state.

Denison, not Denton....

Old 07-15-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Here's the difference,

Nebraska has 1.8 million people.

Nebraska is forecast to have 1.9 million in 5-10 years

Texas has 30 million but 28 million of them are in Eastern Texas.

Estimates are that if current population continue that Eastern Texas will be the most populace state in the country in 10-20 years with about 40 million

Eastern Texas and Nebraska are about the same size.

Texas is forecast to be a liberal state in the next 5-10 years, in fact Texas is referred to as a purple state now. I cant wait!, and Nebraska aint far away either, with Omaha and Lincoln growing and the rural areas dying

Texas has less water available for farming. meh, Water de-salination will be perfected sooner or later, and we have the Gulf. Ogallala Aquifer wont last forever for yall, which we also have part of BTW

The soil quality sucks in Texas. Flat out FALSE.

It's way too hot in Texas. It's way too Cold in Nebraska

Nebraska has more cattle then Texas. That orginally came from TX, so yall are welcome

The Eastern half of Nebraska is rich farming soil. Western half is sand color

Nebraska is Green and Texas is sand color. NOPE!

The rivers in Texas are the same size as creeks in Nebraska. Other than the Missouri, Nebraska rivers aint any bigger than TX Rivers.

Nebraska doesn't have insect problems because of hard freezes in the winter. Nebraska towns near those big ol nasty cow farms have some of the worst fly problems Ive ever seen, and skeeters are just as bad as in TX

Texas has lower taxes.

Nuclear weapons are manufactured in Texas.

Nuclear weapons are launched and delivered to their targets from Bellevue Nebraska (STRATCOM)

Fixed some things for ya.....

Old 07-15-2016, 09:19 PM

26,373 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallombrosa View Post
On the misery index, which is worse - Texas summers or Nebraska winters?
Texas summer weather for anyone that prefers the climate of the northern 2/3 of the US. The intensity of the sun and higher/ more direct sun angle in Texas can never be underestimated, it is beyond brutal. I would never consider moving to the state just because of that fact alone.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:18 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,296,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
Fixed some things for ya.....
It's obvious you have never been to Nebraska.

At the current rate of growth in Nebraska, we won't be liberal for another 50 years.

Where desalination is used it is only for personal use only but not for farming or commercial use because of the price. It doesn't matter is they perfect it, the cost to produce one gallon of drinking water is 500 times more expensive then nature occurring fresh water witch Texas will not have enough for the accelerated population growth.

Why do we ship 1000's of tons of baled grass feed to Texas for ranchers and farmers if Texas has such great farm land?

The soil in Western Nebraska is not sand colored, it is sanding soil. There is still corn farming going on there, but it is mostly grass land.

The colder temps in Nebraska are a good thing, it keeps the wimping people out.

The only place in Texas that has any soil that's good for anything is the few hundred miles of the Eastern side, that's it. I have been to every corner of Texas and the soil quality is super poor.

The rivers in Texas are the same size as creeks in Nebraska. Other than the Missouri, Nebraska rivers aint any bigger than TX Rivers This is one of the stupider comments, you have definitely never been to Nebraska. I have a creek just a mile from my house that has more volume of water flowing down it 12 months a year the Texas has flowing down the Rio Grande "river". Why Texas calls it a river is amazing.

Again, I need to say that a trip to Nebraska would open your eyes. Come in the middle of summer when every thing in Texas is burnt out and Nebraska will be green. I here astonished comments all the time from Texas people here on vacation or just passing through about how green it is here when Texas is dry and brown.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
It's obvious you have never been to Nebraska.

At the current rate of growth in Nebraska, we won't be liberal for another 50 years.

Where desalination is used it is only for personal use only but not for farming or commercial use because of the price. It doesn't matter is they perfect it, the cost to produce one gallon of drinking water is 500 times more expensive then nature occurring fresh water witch Texas will not have enough for the accelerated population growth.

Why do we ship 1000's of tons of baled grass feed to Texas for ranchers and farmers if Texas has such great farm land?

The soil in Western Nebraska is not sand colored, it is sanding soil. There is still corn farming going on there, but it is mostly grass land.

The colder temps in Nebraska are a good thing, it keeps the wimping people out.

The only place in Texas that has any soil that's good for anything is the few hundred miles of the Eastern side, that's it. I have been to every corner of Texas and the soil quality is super poor.

The rivers in Texas are the same size as creeks in Nebraska. Other than the Missouri, Nebraska rivers aint any bigger than TX Rivers This is one of the stupider comments, you have definitely never been to Nebraska. I have a creek just a mile from my house that has more volume of water flowing down it 12 months a year the Texas has flowing down the Rio Grande "river". Why Texas calls it a river is amazing.

Again, I need to say that a trip to Nebraska would open your eyes. Come in the middle of summer when every thing in Texas is burnt out and Nebraska will be green. I here astonished comments all the time from Texas people here on vacation or just passing through about how green it is here when Texas is dry and brown.
I have lived in Nebraska...Omaha, Lincoln and Norfolk

Didnt Nebraska already split its electoral votes in the last POTUS election, thanks to Omaha's growth? namely, liberal growth...it's happening faster than you think...

like I said about de-salination, in time it will become affordable for all uses.

who said anything about farmland? you said "soil"...well we might not have the land a whole mess of corn and soybeans, but big whoop...we grow a wide variety of things here.....

freezing cold temps are never a good thing.....and yall still get the hot summers

again, youre dead wrong...the only part of TX with poor soil is West TX, the other half of the state is just fine, and rich in East and Southern TX...

youve obviously never seen the Comal, Brazos, Guadalupe or Colorado (the other Colorado) Rivers....

Again, Ive lived in NE, its not naturally green, takes a whole lotta waterin and lawn care.

Nebraska flat out sucks...boring, land locked, hot summers AND cold winters, dusty, windy. stubborn as hell flies everywhere. Only good thing about Nebraska is the 4th of July and the week leading up to it, when just about everyone is settin off fireworks....

bottom line, Nebraska has corn, soybeans and beef, thats it....Texas has a helluva lot more and contributes a helluva lot more to the Nation.....

Most Nebraskans even hate Nebraska, cant wait to leave... you're one of the very rare ones who actually likes it and defends it...when I lived there the first thing literally everybody asked me when they found out I was from TX was "well why in the hell would you ever move here?!", same goes for WV where Im currently at lol....but when I lived in Seattle? nope.....speakin of, you wanna see natural green in the summer? Washington state and WV....certainly not Nebraska lol.....

Old 07-17-2016, 01:19 PM

232 posts, read 300,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
I have lived in Nebraska...Omaha, Lincoln and Norfolk

Didnt Nebraska already split its electoral votes in the last POTUS election, thanks to Omaha's growth? namely, liberal growth...it's happening faster than you think...

like I said about de-salination, in time it will become affordable for all uses.

who said anything about farmland? you said "soil"...well we might not have the land a whole mess of corn and soybeans, but big whoop...we grow a wide variety of things here.....

freezing cold temps are never a good thing.....and yall still get the hot summers

again, youre dead wrong...the only part of TX with poor soil is West TX, the other half of the state is just fine, and rich in East and Southern TX...

youve obviously never seen the Comal, Brazos, Guadalupe or Colorado (the other Colorado) Rivers....

Again, Ive lived in NE, its not naturally green, takes a whole lotta waterin and lawn care.

Nebraska flat out sucks...boring, land locked, hot summers AND cold winters, dusty, windy. stubborn as hell flies everywhere. Only good thing about Nebraska is the 4th of July and the week leading up to it, when just about everyone is settin off fireworks....

bottom line, Nebraska has corn, soybeans and beef, thats it....Texas has a helluva lot more and contributes a helluva lot more to the Nation.....

Most Nebraskans even hate Nebraska, cant wait to leave... you're one of the very rare ones who actually likes it and defends it...when I lived there the first thing literally everybody asked me when they found out I was from TX was "well why in the hell would you ever move here?!", same goes for WV where Im currently at lol....but when I lived in Seattle? nope.....speakin of, you wanna see natural green in the summer? Washington state and WV....certainly not Nebraska lol.....
Both of you guys are pure blather. Colt I don't even know why you post here living in WV? Did you look at Texas in your rear view mirror as you left? I just moved to Scottsbluff and yes I agree, people here go nuts on the 4th: non stop firecrackers! It reminds me of when they were legal in most states where I grew up. "Black Cats" (tied together) were fun, but I wonder what business the ER did here the night of the 4th? It's quiet now. The only difference (if you really want to know) between East and West in this country is WHERE the AIR changes. Google "The West Begins Here" in Huron SD and read about it on a "Wayfarer Marker." I made a huge mistake moving back to my roots last year (MN) and now thankfully I'm back West. The only 'alarming' thing I've noticed here in Scottsbluff is the dogs roam free despite the fact we have a "leash law." Fat lazy couch potatoes (ie who don't want to exercise their pets or 'pooper-scoop' them as in larger cities) IMO ignore the law. I didn't move here to get bitten or mauled by a gd dog! Otherwise Nebraska is what I expected: I kept an eye on the weather all last year so there will be no surprises this Winter. The only remarkable thing is the WIND and being next to Wyoming, that is also no surprise.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:04 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,296,514 times
It's even more obvious now that you are just making stuff up.

2012 Presidential election was a landslide for Romney (60% to 38%). Obama only won 1 county in Nebraska, (Lancaster) by 1200 votes.

You don't understand desalination if you are hanging your hat on that one.

youve obviously never seen the Comal, Brazos, Guadalupe or Colorado (the other Colorado) Rivers You haven't done your home work.

Note; all these flow rates are per the USGS streamflow rates web site and are current. Also, rates are from non reservoir/lake locations to better represent actual constant flow rates.

Comel river (could not find info)
Guadalupe river at Sattler TX is 400 CFS (Cubic feet per second)
Brazos at Rosenburg TX is 33 CFS
Colorado at Austin TX is 400 CFS
(For all practical purposes all these RIVERS are almost dry)

In Nebraska
Platte river at Elkhorn is 1440 CFS
Elkhorn River at Elkhorn is 2000 CFS
Big blue river at Barneston is 400 CFS
Wahoo CREEK at Ithaca is 300 CFS
Maple CREEK at Nickerson is 300 CFS
Omaha CREEK at Homer is 180 CFS

Again let me say that the rivers in Texas are barely any more then what Nebraska calls CREEKS.

Nebraska is half the size of Texas but only has 6% of the population. Population is a killer when it comes to natural resources.

Nebraska is the home to 87 corporate headquarters, Texas only has 65.
So what does Texas contribute?

The next time you post, please state some facts and not "what you think of feel".

Old 07-17-2016, 02:39 PM

Fortune 500 Companies- TX 54 NE 5 lol

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

If we're goin by CFS....my idea of how "big a river is" is by average width...

Brazos River
River in Texas
The Brazos River, called the Rio de los Brazos de Dios by early Spanish explorers, is the 11th-longest river in the United States at 1,280 miles from its headwater source at the head of Blackwater Draw, ... Wikipedia
Length: 840.1 mi
Discharge: 8,387 cubic feet per second
Source: Blackwater Draw
Mouth: Gulf of Mexico
Cities: Waco, Richmond, Dallas, Bryan, College Station, Fort Worth, Lubbock, Abilene, Graham, Calvert
Bridges: Waco Suspension Bridge

Guadalupe River
River in Texas
The Guadalupe River runs from Kerr County, Texas to San Antonio Bay on the Gulf of Mexico. It is a popular destination for rafting, fly fishing, and canoeing. Wikipedia
Discharge: 1,201 cubic feet per second
Length: 230 mi
Basin area: 1,257 mi²
Source: Canyon Lake
Mouth: San Antonio Bay
Cities: New Braunfels, Kerrville, Seguin, Victoria, Boerne, Gonzales, Cuero

The Colorado River in Austin, as seen from Mount Bonnell.
Country United States
State Texas
Source
- location Dawson County
- elevation 3,280 ft (1,000 m) [1]
- coordinates 32°40′47″N 101°43′51″W [2]
Mouth Matagorda Bay
- location Gulf of Mexico, at Matagorda County, Texas
- elevation 0 ft (0 m) [1]
- coordinates 28°35′41″N 95°58′59″WCoordinates: 28°35′41″N 95°58′59″W [2]
Length 862 mi (1,387 km)
Basin 39,900 sq mi (103,341 km2) [3]
Discharge for Bay City
- average 2,609 cu ft/s (74 m3/s)
- max 84,100 cu ft/s (2,381 m3/s)
- min 0 cu ft/s (0 m3/s)

Rio Grande
River in North America
The Rio Grande is one of the principal rivers in the southwest United States and northern Mexico. The Rio Grande rises from south-central Colorado in the United States and flows to the Gulf of Mexico. Wikipedia
Length: 1,896 mi
Discharge: 2,401 cubic feet per second
Basin area: 182,202 mi²
Mouth: Gulf of Mexico
Sources: Rio Grande National Forest, San Juan Mountains, Canby Mountain, Continental Divide of the Americas, Colorado
Countries: Mexico, United States of America
Bridges: Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, More

The Red River, or sometimes the Red River of the South, is a major tributary of the Mississippi and Atchafalaya rivers in the southern United States of America. The river was named for the red-bed country of its watershed. Wikipedia
Length: 1,360 mi
Discharge: 57,000 cubic feet per second
Sources: Buck Creek, Prairie Dog Town Fork Red River
Mouths: Atchafalaya River, Mississippi River
Cities: Shreveport, Bossier City, Wichita Falls, Denison, Texarkana, Arkansas, Fulton, Elmer, Newlin, Texas

Using your own site, USGS...Platte River is currently at 7,340 http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=06805500

Brazos River is currently at 13,100 http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=08108700

The next time YOU post, please state some facts that are accurate and not "what you think of feel".

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 08:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska