Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 06:23 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,749,445 times

Advertisements

Why is it that you never see homeless people standing on corners holding up signs saying Will Work for Food in small towns. Or why in poor neighborhoods you don't see people milling about drinking, drugging, and up to no good. And these poorer areas they aren't all trashed and run down, just not fancy.

I live in McCook, NE and own a rental trailer in a not nice part of town and we completely remodeled it and have several who want to rent it including several people that own nice homes and said they would rent it if they were looking. We did rent it to a section 8 mother and her 17 yr old son that were recommened and she is so excited about it. We also could rent it out for alot more but feel better about renting for less so people of less income can afford it .

I am sure there are less desireables (sp) here but it is not what you see on a day to day basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,206,495 times
You won't see it everyday, but at least once every couple of months someone is sitting on their car hood in the parking lot on the south side of Sears (facing the highway) with a "Need work/will work" sign.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:12 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,534,917 times
In the town of 2000 (population) that I guess I know of a couple people who are homeless, one younger man moves from family to family who offer him shelter and food, he also works when he can. The other you may see in town again for a couple weeks sleeping in his car and then he moves on to the next town. He pretty much has no desire to work it seems and makes due with the bare necessities to say the least.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 PM

704 posts, read 1,863,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
Why is it that you never see homeless people standing on corners holding up signs saying Will Work for Food in small towns. Or why in poor neighborhoods you don't see people milling about drinking, drugging, and up to no good. And these poorer areas they aren't all trashed and run down, just not fancy.

I live in McCook, NE and own a rental trailer in a not nice part of town and we completely remodeled it and have several who want to rent it including several people that own nice homes and said they would rent it if they were looking. We did rent it to a section 8 mother and her 17 yr old son that were recommened and she is so excited about it. We also could rent it out for alot more but feel better about renting for less so people of less income can afford it .

I am sure there are less desireables (sp) here but it is not what you see on a day to day basis.
It's because the good old boys already dragged them out of town behind their pickups.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,997,150 times
There are two reasons you don't see homeless in small towns. 1) statistically you're just less likely to see them. With a town of 2000 people its just very unlikely that someone will become homeless. 2) homeless people tend to migrate to larger cities where food programs, shelters, and more jobs exist.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:42 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,749,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
There are two reasons you don't see homeless in small towns. 1) statistically you're just less likely to see them. With a town of 2000 people its just very unlikely that someone will become homeless. 2) homeless people tend to migrate to larger cities where food programs, shelters, and more jobs exist.
I agree, but there are still very poor people here and they seem to have more respect for their property or rental and take better care of it. Now there are exceptions to that like my rental unit has neat trailer on one side and trashy yard on other side with a mom and 16 yr old kid that quit school and smokes and does not work. Oh but he does have enough energy to steal and do community service.

I lived in Indianapolis,IN for 10 yrs and 95 % of poor neighborhoods were trashed and had people milling about selling drugs etc. and killing every night. I don't want to make Race part of it but it was mostly nonwhites that lived there. McCook,NE is bigger than 2000, it is 9,000.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM

704 posts, read 1,863,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I agree, but there are still very poor people here and they seem to have more respect for their property or rental and take better care of it. Now there are exceptions to that like my rental unit has neat trailer on one side and trashy yard on other side with a mom and 16 yr old kid that quit school and smokes and does not work. Oh but he does have enough energy to steal and do community service.

I lived in Indianapolis,IN for 10 yrs and 95 % of poor neighborhoods were trashed and had people milling about selling drugs etc. and killing every night. I don't want to make Race part of it but it was mostly nonwhites that lived there. McCook,NE is bigger than 2000, it is 9,000.
Explore the "Broken Windows" theory in criminal justice.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:54 PM

30 posts, read 103,132 times
I live in North Platte...just a short hour from McCook. We have those people with signs all over the place. And we do have neighborhoods with people loitering, selling drugs, and not working. All I can think of is that McCook just isn't a destination for people who are down on their luck or whatever. We have a homeless shelter here and several resources that can be utilized, so that may be part of it as well...and we're on the interstate, which I am sure plays into it too. As for the druggies, the ones here are just a bunch of small time tweekers, and those are everywhere. They're in small towns too but in smaller places they just lay low more because they'd be more noticeable.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,648 times
I think the thing about moving to larger towns to get services is true. I also tend to think smaller towns also have a greater sense of community and much better support networks in families. I work with a homeless project in Omaha and it's amazing how many homeless were/are professionals, etc. Most had a loss of job and didn't recover in time, a divorce and got thrown out of the home, an addiction that took over their life, or a mental illness and was shunned by family and friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: