U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 PM

597 posts, read 522,084 times
I went back and reread the article in the Arnold newspaper about your business. What a great story! Can you tell me more about the Baptist church...that is the church I would probably want to attend. Oh, and in my first job out of college I worked in an office and we used Lotus 1-2-3, so that brought back a lot of memories! I think I need to plan a vacation trip out to Arnold and get a feel for the community. I am thrilled to hear from someone who lives there and I thank you again for sharing!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 06:40 AM

124 posts, read 24,061 times
I grew up on a farm, lived in a town smaller than Arnold for awhile, then a town of about 12,000 people, and am now in Omaha.

I can honestly say that I have no desire to live in a tiny, remote town anymore. However, a week or two on the motorcycle, just meandering around and visiting towns like this would be awesome!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 AM

453 posts, read 541,269 times
These small towns really have a good lifestyle to offer for those who want seclusion and quiet. There are plenty of places in the south with the same thing except trees as well. I was surprised this summer while living in oklahoma that a lot of people on the plains actually dislike trees and feel cramped when they're surrounded by trees. Personally I'd pick trees and humid summers over the isolation of the harsh mid-continent winters

Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 AM

943 posts, read 2,318,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
These small towns really have a good lifestyle to offer for those who want seclusion and quiet. There are plenty of places in the south with the same thing except trees as well. I was surprised this summer while living in oklahoma that a lot of people on the plains actually dislike trees and feel cramped when they're surrounded by trees. Personally I'd pick trees and humid summers over the isolation of the harsh mid-continent winters
Trees or not.. don't bother me.

Id pick a harsher winter and milder summer over a b&^ch of a summer and mild winter.

Cold and snow don't bother me..... I don't mind adding layers to stay warm..

Old 02-25-2011, 01:38 PM

84 posts, read 47,710 times
I lived in Cozad from 1989 to 1995 (originally from Omaha). I used to love driving north of Gothenburg through Arnold and Dunning to the Nebr. National Forest by Halsey. Especially liked driving in the hills just north of Arnold. Though I never stopped in Arnold, it seemed like an nice town.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:24 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,855,838 times
I remember when I first moved out to the Sandhills with my new, cowboy husband. Always one to snap pictures, I started noticing that every picture I took was missing something: Trees!!
I'd gone from eastern Nebraska (where they have trees) to Chadron (where they also have trees) to the Sandhills (where they have trees near major water sources lol).

At first I had a hard time with it, but 20 years later, I'm one of those people that doesn't like being surrounded by trees. I feel very claustrophobic. I need to be able to SEE.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 PM

2,583 posts, read 6,923,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I remember when I first moved out to the Sandhills with my new, cowboy husband. Always one to snap pictures, I started noticing that every picture I took was missing something: Trees!!
I'd gone from eastern Nebraska (where they have trees) to Chadron (where they also have trees) to the Sandhills (where they have trees near major water sources lol).

At first I had a hard time with it, but 20 years later, I'm one of those people that doesn't like being surrounded by trees. I feel very claustrophobic. I need to be able to SEE.
Great post! I used to work with folks on the East Coast. When they came to the Omaha area they'd say where are the trees... I'd tell them they need to experience the Sandhills... then when I'd go see them I'd say how I didn't like it - they'd say why - I'd say that I couldn't see anything - get the trees out of the way.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 AM

167 posts, read 219,012 times
You are absolutely correct! There are WAY too many trees in the East US. I know they have their benefits, but it gets tiring worrying about trees landing on your house or car in an ice storm or in a bad wind storm. Then, there's all the raking.... ugh! My friends call me a tree hater, but everyone has their preferences. I cannot WAIT to move out there and be able to see my surroundings, especially when the storms are coming.

I also went to the Nebraska National Forest on my trip through the Sand Hills. I guess I was expecting something really special, but when I got there, I saw that most of the trees looked like Pine Trees. I thought, eh, whatever .... I can look out my window at home and see the same thing, even in tighter clusters . It really comes down to perspective, I guess. For those who do not get to experience regularly living among trees, I'm sure it is a beautiful place.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:14 PM

252 posts, read 446,750 times
This thread made me think of a question that I have asked: "How, in the world, did they fight the civil and the revolutionary wars???"

Years ago, I left my prairie state and stayed, at length, in VA. Not only were there multitudes of trees, they were so-oo close together. Although I still think it is beautiful, I felt "cleaner," back on the Great Plains--like things ultimately, dry up and blow away.

After touring battlefields, like Gettysburg, then driving back into the hollow where I was staying, I wondered, "How in the world did they find each other for the killings.?" The trees, to my prairie eyes, were so cloistering. Did Rob't E Lee, et al., schedule a time to fight y'all, in a clearing??????? I couldn't see how regimens could have found each other in the thickness of those trees and poison ivy/oak.

Out here, and in the Sand Hills, I think insurgents would be scrambling ducks.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:01 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,855,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geog-fanatic View Post
I also went to the Nebraska National Forest on my trip through the Sand Hills. I guess I was expecting something really special, but when I got there, I saw that most of the trees looked like Pine Trees. I thought, eh, whatever .... I can look out my window at home and see the same thing, even in tighter clusters . It really comes down to perspective, I guess. For those who do not get to experience regularly living among trees, I'm sure it is a beautiful place.
It's not the trees themselves that make the Halsey forest special. It's the fact that it's a forest. On the prairie. And it got there by being hand planted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska