Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:34 AM

76 posts, read 234,711 times

Advertisements

My brother, sisters, and I and families went to Cannon Beach, Oregon. Some of them went salmon fishing.....very yummy. It would go good with that piece of cake I see on this post! I'd love to taste salmon from the waters of Norway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:55 PM

119 posts, read 150,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Yeah Pikes Place Market has an amazing selection whether it is King Salmon, Coho, Pink, Sockeye - also have a lot of different kinds of fish and ethnic foods. I wouldn't go to Norway unless you paid me - the way the euro is vs the dollar, the sheer cost of things in euros, the new outrageous overseas fares, I have no desire to leave the country other than going to Canada which I can drive too, there is too much quality product and good things to see in our country. Its a pity how expensive things are though, I often find myself eating frozen salmon "wild-caught" in China but its available, fits the budget, and is one of the few types of salmon available in rural Nebraska. It doesn't taste bad but I would rather patronize Idaho, Oregon, Washington State salmon etc.
Norway is not part of the EU and the currency is not Euro (-:

But traveling to Norway is expensive either way. Even tho the salmon is brilliant over here

Old 12-05-2011, 09:50 PM

4 posts, read 7,199 times
Just wanted to check in, as I am the guy who brought up vegetarianism in this thread. I have been living in the Sandhills for 2 months now, and I can vouch for the ability to live a vegetarian diet even in rural Nebraska. I live in a very small (by my standards...about 1,700 people) town, and I am able to get all that I need to live a healthy vegetarian diet, including tofu and veggie burgers ( )and a solid selection of vegetables.

The fact that I am a vegetarian is a non-issue, which is great. It does make going to the community "feeds" a bit of a dietary challenge, but nothing that I can't deal with (the rancher women can make one heck of a potato soup), but no one presses the issue beyond asking me my reasons why I am a vegetarian, which they accept without further inquiry.

I am currently employed at the local grocery store, and therefore am privy to the eating habits of a lot of the town's residents. Sadly, there is substantial obesity and heart disease in the area, though, to be honest, lower than in the South, where I came from. I am not sure what needs to be done in that regards. A lesson in healthy choices in eating could benefit many of the town's residents (no, you don't need to buy 5 bags of potato chips and a 24 pack of Coke each week), but there are also a lot of residents who are conscious of their eating habits and engage in an active lifestyle. The town I am in just hosted a 50 mile relay/10 mile walk which drew a large number of participants. Anyways, the point is, you can easily live a healthy lifestyle in Central Nebraska.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Good to know that things are working out for you! Maybe you will be an inspiration to others!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:34 AM

350 posts, read 740,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidee View Post
Norway is not part of the EU and the currency is not Euro (-:

But traveling to Norway is expensive either way. Even tho the salmon is brilliant over here
Sorry Sidee for my ignorance. Mostly because of plane fares now as well as cost it will keep many of us Americans from being able to visit Norway. Maybe I will make a trip someday but I will have to save up!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:17 AM

Sadly, I am noticing more and more FAT Nebraskans. And, even more disconcerting, many of them are teenagers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska