Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,220,760 times

Advertisements

If you don't know what you're talking about? Yes, you SHOULD sit down and shut up! lol

But, hey, that's just me... I have this wacky notion that people should understand what they're talking about before flying off the handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 03:55 PM

209 posts, read 431,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
Maybe someone enjoys the freedom to "go broke," or better yet, watch someone else struggle ??? That's a great freedom!
...how do you spell 'schadenfreud???'
Going broke, struggling, suffering, loosing material effects, et al, are all a part of….. LIFE. Something most of us learned early on. Usually builds character and makes you realize the really important things. I personally, have learned that the hard way on more than one occasion in my adult life. Living in a free society there are no guaranteed outcomes so we pull ourselves up and start over again. We were taught and encouraged during times of fortune to “voluntarily” give generously to church and charity to help others not so fortunate. But during times of scarcity we never expected, much less demanded that government confiscate the wealth of others on our behalf.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
If you don't know what you're talking about? Yes, you SHOULD sit down and shut up! lol

But, hey, that's just me... I have this wacky notion that people should understand what they're talking about before flying off the handle.
I made my remark in jest and you took the bait. However, your mindset does epitomize that of most progressives I debate and unfortunately, those in Washington D.C. as well…. "Sit down and shut up, you don’t know what you’re talking about. We know what’s best for you and we’re going to govern in that manner even if it goes against the will of the majority of the governed."

Thank God we live in a country where our founders had the foresight to see this coming and consequently added the “Bill of Rights” and the first amendment in particular to our wonderful constitution.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:25 PM

BTW, "lol" means "Laughing out loud."

And when people are railing on and on about not wanting to be on the government's health plan, as an example, it proves they're stupid and have no interest in understanding what they're talking about.
That is not some kind of patronization. It's pure and simple fact.

They should either inform themselves or have the courtesy to shut up until they do.
But you're right. Even stupid people are guaranteed the right to free speech.
And I have the right to identify morons when I see them. lol

Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 PM

252 posts, read 731,363 times
I'm going with the prospect that this health care reform will resemble state colleges.

Some of us chose private schools and University where the tuition is higher than Chadron State or Peru State or Wayne State--and, until 1991, Kearney State College. Some of us chose those state schools because they offer excellent programs for less money or because the particular major is superior or, perhaps, some didn't want to go so far from home.

Whatever the reason, the state school option has increased the standard of living for all Nebraskans. Do we even think about fearing someone will get an education at the expense of public funding??

Of course not--as aforementioned, only a moron would begrudge a student an education because he/she didn't "rate," financially. Especially, if the economy benefits.

That option has educated a lot of very productive people who are now on their feet whereas their tuition fees may otherwise have been out of reach.

That's how I see the health care policies coming down the pipes.

Let me anticipate some of the hooting: "It's not the same thing." Yes, it is. "Education is not mandatory as insurance will be." Hey! That's a great idea!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,180,420 times
I, thousands of other Nebraskans and hundreds of thousands nationwide will lose their low cost Medicare Advantage Plans and be forced into the higher cost MediGap policies. However, Floridians get to keep their Medicare Advantage Plans. It remains to be seen how removing $500 billion from the Medicare program will affect those now receiving health care through it. I'm not optimistic that the end result will be good.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Do you have some information to share about this? (Other than right-wing blogs, of course)
This is a handy calculator to see real-time changes: What does the health care bill mean to me? (washingtonpost.com)

And how was it better that millions of Americans should remain un-insured, under-insured, or insured but still at risk of bankruptcy from medical bills?
Or are you one of those people who thought everything was fine so long as it didn't affect you?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:22 PM

Reading today about a branding in Nebraska and I thought this quote was fitting for this thread. "... the early settlers of the sandhills often relied on neighbors in times of need. The resulting bonds were reinforced at church services, weddings, barn dances and brandings. That culture persists in Nebraska's sandhills today..."

Of course I'm sure those ranchers were conservative morons who need to sit down and shut up. (Oh, and BTW I'm LOL)

Old 04-18-2010, 05:31 PM

Ummm....
My husband is at a neighbor's branding today, as a matter of fact. He called me about an hour ago. Apparently he's roping right now.
We
ranch for a living. Our branding is going to be in a couple of weeks.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to let you come visit and you can get a REAL feel for it.
Phooey on reading about one. You need to get kicked once or twice, sit in some calf poop, and absorb the "fragrance" of burned hair to truly appreciate a branding! Top it off with calf fries fresh off the branding stove, a sunburn, a slight hangover and you can say you've experienced it.

That said, while we do indeed rely on the neighbors for a plethora of reasons, health care isn't one of them. (How do you think that would work, out of curiosity? I'll help you pull bulls this week if you do my emergency appendectomy??)
In fact, the cost of health care is one of the factors behind the decline of farming and ranching in our state...

Why do you think the Center for Rural Affairs, the National Farmer's Union, the National Farm Family Coalition, the Nebraska Farmer's Union (and a host of other state's farmer's unions) are so whole-heatedly behind the health care reform laws afterall?

~Erin

Last edited by itsMeFred; 04-18-2010 at 06:14 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Ummm....
My husband is at a neighbor's branding today, as a matter of fact. He called me about an hour ago. Apparently he's roping right now.
We
ranch for a living. Our branding is going to be in a couple of weeks.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to let you come visit and you can get a REAL feel for it.
Phooey on reading about one. You need to get kicked once or twice, sit in some calf poop, and absorb the "fragrance" of burned hair to truly appreciate a branding! Top it off with calf fries fresh off the branding stove, a sunburn, a slight hangover and you can say you've experienced it.

That said, while we do indeed rely on the neighbors for a plethora of reasons, health care isn't one of them. (How do you think that would work, out of curiosity? I'll help you pull bulls this week if you do my emergency appendectomy??)
In fact, the cost of health care is one of the factors behind the decline of farming and ranching in our state...

Why do you think the Center for Rural Affairs, the National Farmer's Union, the National Farm Family Coalition, the Nebraska Farmer's Union (and a host of other state's farmer's unions) are so whole-heatedly behind the health care reform laws afterall?

~Erin
Fred… I was pulling your chain just a little bit. Lighten up. LOL means laughing out loud remember?

Now that you mention it though, I’m not sure I wouldn’t just as soon have my neighbors help me with my appendectomy as the politicians in Washington. Makes about as much sense. However, if you do need an emergency appendectomy as you referenced, there is not an emergency room in the country that can legally turn you away.

However, I have a better idea yet… why don’t we each take responsibility for our own health care – choose our own doctor and hospital and take responsibility for paying same. Come to think of it, I know of no one who has actually been turned away from obtaining care, regardless of their ability to pay. Additionally, there are countless programs to assist those who truly cannot afford it. I know Arizona has several programs for low income folks as does Nebraska. As far as folks leaving the family farm due to the high cost of health care, perhaps you can tell me where they went that health care was less expensive. Moreover, the folks are about 60 – 65 percent against this health care bill, including Nebraskans.

Of course, all this ranting of mine is wasted effort. The health care bill is passed and is the law of the land. And although we begin paying for it right away, the benefits don’t kick in for about 4 years.

Oh, and as far as your comments concerning a REAL branding, let me respond. I just imagine I was stompin in calf poop long before you were a gleam in your Daddy’s eye. Obviously, I don’t know your age nor is it polite to ask, but since you like to communicate using the same lingo that my grandchildren do when texting, I have to assume you are much younger than I.

I’ve never heard them referred to as “fries” I guess that’s again telling my age…I do agree with you that there is nothing like fried nuts, however my hangover days are long since past (with age comes wisdom). And since you mention it yes, I have experienced it. Now I'm content to read and reminisce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska