U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 01:52 AM

23 posts, read 105,471 times

Advertisements

My husband was recently contacted about a job in Hastings. The job looks to be good and the pay is above par even for a major eastern city. Not being from that part of the country I had no idea where Hastings was located. After some long searches online and reading up, I am wondering if it is worth the move.

We are a family of 5, 3 small children. I am originally from Chicago, he is from Maryland. We both grew up a good part of our lives in Ga and currently reside outside of Atlanta. We are both artists in our own right, me a graphical 3d artist and developer, him a professional chef and author. We are a bit eccentric and a tad on the liberal side. Jumping to a new town is not the big concern for us. We both are used to moving around. (It just came with both our families growing up. Him a Navy Brat, myself a child of a family of medical administrators. You moved where you were needed.)

After reading up here and elsewhere I am wondering if such a big move is actually going to be worth it for us. I have heard tales of Meth problems, racism, sexual harassment and other issues. Now, I am well aware of such issues. Most any town, city or general location has such issues. I am concerned mostly about what type of area it would be to raise 3 children. If it was just the hubby and myself I would have little concern but children changes things.

Can anyone give me further insight to Hastings? And any idea, if we do decide to move out there, of what apartment complexes are best to rent? Commuting is not an issue. Being in Atlanta, you get used to a 30 mile commute taking 2 hours. (I am having issues finding listings for apartments or homes for rent and I find this odd considering the fact it is supposed to be a college town. I would think that there would be plenty of apartment listings.)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated and would be helpful in determining whether this is a move that would benefit the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 AM

704 posts, read 1,617,186 times
Hastings is not the highlight of Nebraska. In fact it's not even the highlight of the tri-cities. (Kearney, Grand Island, Hastings) It's not a bad town, it's safe, fairly clean. But it's small and probably the most small minded of the tri-cities. I'm just not sure how well an artsy liberal is going to like it there. And as a bit of a liberal myself I know that Hastings would rank low on my list of Nebraska places to live.

Best advice I could give is that if you can place a trip and spend a few days there. That's probably the only way you'll get a real good idea. Because you can bet that the next post on here will be someone talking about how Hastings is great and the land of milk and honey.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 AM

6,048 posts, read 5,803,000 times
No, actually I don't know much about Hastings. Except that I have a job interview this morning on the phone with someone from Mary Lanning Memorial Hospital for a technician's position there. I live in SE Arizona right now and just left a position in this little cow town's hospital.

I have seen some of Nebraska's scenery and quite frankly it looks like the cat's meow right now to me. Settling, relaxing looking landscape's. So far I don't see anything particularly scary about Hastings, NE. Would love for someone from there or who currently lives there to fill me in some more about it.

I will know much more about my position out there after this morning's interview.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 AM

475 posts, read 2,040,769 times
Coming from a small town in rural Arizona... it might not be too bad a transition. Although, are you prepared for winter on the plains?

Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the info. As far as liking the place, I am not too worried about it. I am a home body that works online and such. So I am not forced to interact with locals often. LOL This has been a good thing for me over the years.

Just wanting to make sure that it is an okay place to raise children. I know all places have issues. I have seen plenty of drug and crime problems over the years. Doesn't matter small town or big city, it's everywhere. Just wanting to make sure it is at least under some type of control and not every inch of the area is in that state.

The job itself is a great opportunity and will pay more than double what we both are currently making combined. There are just so many other factors to consider. Heck, a big one is the weather for me. Snow, not an issue. I grew up in it. Tornado's on the other hand are a worry for me. Lost too many friends over the years to that in Ga alone.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Well I had my phone interview today and it lasted one hour! Wow! My left arm is now sore from holding the phone up so long!

I did quite well in it...answered all the questions with the right answers and such, technically and even all of the "people person new world order mishmash-type questions we've all encountered" from now and then when job hunting.

Sounds like it's hard ta tell whether I'll be considered or not for the job. She (the interviewer who would be my new Manager) said that sleep studies are actually down in number in Hastings.

I think I still have a good chance at the job. My wife could get a job that's available in the cafeteria kitchen as well. She (my prospective Manager) just needs to meet with the appropriate people and decide if there's enough work to keep me busy. Actually, I respect them more for telling me that. Hate ta move there all the way from Willcox, AZ, and then find a big lack of work, don't ya know.

I remain interested. I feel like I've earned my "golden foot in the door" of their hospital after that long, excruciating phone interview this morning.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:06 PM

Congrats, I hope everything works well for you.

The hubby got through his first interview, has another Monday with them and then if that works out they will fly him out there for the final interview. Ugh... Things are too complicated these days.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:09 PM

Afina79-I hope he gets the job! I would love to live and work in Hastings, NE.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:48 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,584,370 times
Hastings is my home town, and though I've visited, I haven't lived there for many years now. It was a great place to grow up in, though when I was younger I didn't feel that way. I think it would be a great place for raising children; the schools used to be ranked highly, though I've not researched that recently. So my answer is Yes, it's worth the move.

Last time I was there it certainly still had the small town feel which, granted is not everyone's cup of tea. There are several areas of upscale neighborhoods, but I don't think they've ever gotten into the McMansion syndrome, which is a good thing.

Afina, keep us updated on hubby's progress. Sorry my information is so general. If you like, I could try to track down a good realtor; my cousins still live nearby, and hopefully that would be better than just choosing a name. And I know you said renting, but a realtor should have some information there, as well. With what you said about your background & life style, I'd think you'd fit in very well in the Hastings College milieu.

Elko, last I knew Mary Lanning was a great place to work and a highly rated hospital for its size.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 PM

Macrina-that is great ta hear. Like I say, I answered all of their questions correctly. I think Hastings would be a good "fit" for my wife and I and our values and such. The pools at the park look awesome.

My wife loves the water and swimming is very important to her.

A Hastings realtor is going ta send us housing particulars. I have already accepted a position at an Elko, NV, hospital but would break it if Mary Lanning Memorial could keep me busy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska