U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:29 AM

11 posts, read 62,465 times

Advertisements

You know what, is it just me or anyone else out there too but I've lived in seven different states and Omaha nebraska has been by far one of the racist city I've ever encounter. I feel unsafe! hey if you got a problem or question ask me why I think this. I've got many stories to tell. I am asian/ pacific islander and GEEEEEEEEZ I really think this is a big issue.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:35 PM

416 posts, read 2,330,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneperson View Post
You know what, is it just me or anyone else out there too but I've lived in seven different states and Omaha nebraska has been by far one of the racist city I've ever encounter. I feel unsafe! hey if you got a problem or question ask me why I think this. I've got many stories to tell. I am asian/ pacific islander and GEEEEEEEEZ I really think this is a big issue.
What happened? Did you encounter some skin heads? Trust me, it's racist wherever you live except Hawaii. Where else did you live? I'm curious because my daughter's half Samoan. She receives very welcoming attention in prodominantly white neighborhoods. Do you look Mexican? Maybe they think you are Mexican. Right now so many people are anti Mexican and would give very negative attention to anyone who looks Mexican. My daughter does not look Mexican - by far she looks Polynesian. But some islanders look Mexican.

I don't condone racism. I think we need to resolve our differences with Mexico, and teach young americans to become more tolerant of others. Some are receiving hatrid messages from their parents and peer - negative images and assumptions of Mexicans.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:44 PM

47,305 posts, read 45,103,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneperson View Post
I'm not shocked that you said Omaha is the most racist city you have lived in. Omaha's history is checkered with racial violence. Omaha has had many race riots during the 20th century. Here is a link. It may offer some explanations:Timeline of Racial Tension in Omaha, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-10-2007, 04:02 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,402,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_evergreen View Post
I'm not shocked that you said Omaha is the most racist city you have lived in. Omaha's history is checkered with racial violence. Omaha has had many race riots during the 20th century. Here is a link. It may offer some explanations:Timeline of Racial Tension in Omaha, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What! 2007 and this stuff is still happening...sounds like the 60's all over again:

2007 - In February unknown assailants robbed, firebombed, and spray painted a racist epiphet on the side of an East Omaha grocery store owned by an Ethiopian immigrant. The crime is unsolved.[36]

Old 06-10-2007, 05:05 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,809,958 times
I've lived in OMaha my whole life and have not seen this as an issue...
as a matter of fact most businesses have affirmative action measures, and everybody I know are not racist..

Every city will encounter weird people, Omaha is not a small city anymore and yes Omaha's history a long time ago is a bad one for racism, but I do not see racism as a problem here, as a matter of fact international in-migration is the top reason for our population growth here, including hispanics, african-americans, middle-eastern people, and lots of asians, the growth of the white population actually is the slowest growing out of ALL the races that are measured.

What gets me is that oneperson has a grand total of 1 post, and that is to just inform all of Omaha that it's a racist city

Old 06-10-2007, 07:58 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,643,529 times
Ehenningsen,

I would have to agree with you. Of course there is racism in Omaha, but one person's testimony that Omaha is the most racist place he/she has been hardly is fair. There is racism everywhere and from everything i have every heard Omaha is on the brighter side of this issue. Plus, you make a valid point with the fact that the poster has posted one time.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:58 PM

No, I don't look like mexican. I am asian. I get alot that I look like korean, viet, chinese japanese or whatever. But I am none of those. I have friends or all race and I love that fact because everybody's different.But Welll, yes I have encounter several problems. One time I was enrolling at metro and the counselor refused to talked to me and put me in ESL because she assumed I couldn't speak english or is from out of the country. I've been here since I was a baby. So basicly, english is actually my first language and I can speak two others too. I was so pissed off that I never went back to metro again. Other time I went to burlington coat factory and I had a lady working there followed me for a good 45 minutes. I stop to look at the comforter and she asked if i need anything I said no I was fine. You would assumed that she would say if i did need any assistance she'll be around or something like that but she just stood next to me, not talking and waiting for me to go. and that was 15 minutes just standing next to me looking at me and at what I was gonna do. I mean i don't like a kind of homeless person or anyone who most people would misteaken to steal things. beside I'm 5'0 ft, tiny person standing next to a 9 ft shelves. At first I thought, it was the older generation but now I'm starting to see a lot more younger people. especially in the area of oakview.( I believe that's west side ) Well, there were other times where me and my friends got kicked out of skateland because a Caucasian 13 boy claimed that one of my friend had a knife. This boy was making racist comments to my friend's cousin and so my friend went up to this boy and asked why he was making these racist comments. anyway, the security guard came to all of us and didn't do no search or ask any question. Just came to my group of friends and kick the whole crew out and assumed all the other asian who we didn't know were to be kicked out too.Which was nonesense. There were many time where I often here people call other asian around me and myself included CHINKS, SAY" CHING CHONG or talk to me in vietemese or other asian sounding language because they think it's funny. I shouldn't care what others have to say but I;m sorry, I don't feel safe. If anybody defends what these people have done, I gotta say you have to become another race in order to actually experience what it really feels like to be of a different race.But yes, there are also many good and respectful people in this area too. I just never had experience as much racial issue as I do here. The other day I was watching the news and they said race issue has become worst then years before.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:14 PM

EHENNINGSON,

I did not meant to tell the whole wide world know that omaha is a racist place. I was actually asking for other people's opinon. beside what is your race? The people who don't usually face racist issue and are of different race are usually people who try to act and blend in with everyone who society consired normal people. If you don't believe me look around you, sooner or later you'll see. Yes there is racist everywhere but I have encounter far more here and so second or third opinon helps me know what anyone else would think of this topic.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:20 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,643,529 times
Oneperson,

No, I certainly won't defend any of the idiots you mentioned. Sorry to hear that stuff has happened to you. And you're probably right when you say, "we need to be another race to understand". I am white, so I don't understand a lot of the everyday things that happen...like being "tailed" in the markets and stores. I still would like to think that Omaha is no worse than any other place, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist in Omaha. It just means every place has a long way to go.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:22 PM

besides, does anybody know how that one law they wanted to pass out seperating race in school is still on? That's the craziest crap I've ever heard! That just proves my point of omaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or