Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 02:20 PM

13 posts, read 42,532 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I am a 25 year old female getting ready to pick up and move from the Washington, DC area to Lincoln, NE in one week. My boyfriend is in grad school at UNL and we have decided to move in together. I really love DC because all of my friends are here and my family is only a 3 hour drive away, but at the same time, I really want to be with my boyfriend so I'm going to do it.

Has anyone out there recently moved to the area? How do you like it? Have you had an easy time finding things to do/ people to meet? Any ideas on getting involved in the community to meet people? I love going out and being social, as well as finding new things to do and people to meet, etc. I'm a runner, also.

I'm bringing my job with me and I'll be telecommuting from home, so at least I won't have to worry about finding a job out there. And the best part is, I'll get to keep my salary based off of DC living expenses yay

We already have a place until December, but with a BIG dog and two people, I think the novelty of a cozy 1 bedroom apartment will wear off FAST. HAHA. Anyone know of any really nice apartments or town homes in Lincoln to check out?

Thanks for your help Looking forward to trying something new!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 05:54 PM

696 posts, read 1,721,595 times
Well there is lots of info in this thread.

Please Compare Lincoln, NE living to Washington, DC living

Old 08-18-2011, 05:59 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,181,119 times
O St. will be crazy next week when you move there, if your into the bar scene. Check out the new Antelope Valley trail for running. A 220+ million dollar project where the trail follows the new creek the whole way through parks and urban areas. Pretty cool area.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 PM

350 posts, read 738,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
O St. will be crazy next week when you move there, if your into the bar scene. Check out the new Antelope Valley trail for running. A 220+ million dollar project where the trail follows the new creek the whole way through parks and urban areas. Pretty cool area.
Hopefully not paid for by state taxpayer money - I have no idea how someone spends 220 million dollars on a hike/bike trail that sounds obscene. It would be different if people in other parts of the state could use it but its in Lincoln so limited to the Lincoln/Omaha metro populace.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,181,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Hopefully not paid for by state taxpayer money - I have no idea how someone spends 220 million dollars on a hike/bike trail that sounds obscene. It would be different if people in other parts of the state could use it but its in Lincoln so limited to the Lincoln/Omaha metro populace.
The trail is just one part of it. New roads and flood control are the two biggest parts. Multiple new and renovated parks are included with a green belt running the entire length of the project.

It has created urban renewal for the city and created a vital infrastructure upgrade to the city.

And I could argue that Omaha/Lincoln residents don't use the countless state funded projects in central and western Nebraska as well. Not every project will benefit every single resident. That isn't always a bad thing.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 PM

696 posts, read 1,721,595 times
I had to google that. I think it is more then a running/bike trail.

Antelope Valley Parkway

This extensive transportation, flood control and park complex, is the new hub of Lincoln's trails. A trail lines the Antelope Creek flood control channel from Military Road on the north to an extension connection of the Billy Wolff Trail on the South. The Parkway trails and connections to other trails, are made possible by a series of underpasses and bridges. The MoPac Trail intersects the Antelope Valley Project trail between W and Y Streets. The Jamaica North Trail is another of several convenient trails connected through the project.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 AM

13 posts, read 42,532 times
Thank you for the info. JustMe_T3k, thank you for your input (again) and for the link to an old forum I started? Anyhoo... The trail sounds nice. My boyfriend and I are training to run the Marine Corps Marathon and need all of trail advice we can get Does anyone know of any nice apartment communities/town home communities in the area? We are planning on looking at lennox village lionsgate rockledge and tanglewood apartments. Is there anyone out there around my age that could give some advice?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,831,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy2bjewels View Post
Hi Everyone

We already have a place until December, but with a BIG dog and two people, I think the novelty of a cozy 1 bedroom apartment will wear off FAST. HAHA. Anyone know of any really nice apartments or town homes in Lincoln to check out?

Thanks for your help Looking forward to trying something new!
jewels,
There is a huge dog run area just off 70th street across from Holmes Lake. Just to the North of the Dog Run there are several apartment complexes with 2 and 3 bedroom apartments. I don't know what their policy is on pets but I would assume that they are pet friendly being that close to the Dog Run. There are several very nice apartment complexes near Holmes Lake and even during rush hour a commute downtown is less than twenty minutes. A Russ's Market is close by and several fast food and pizza joints. It is quite a ways to a theater and not very many bars in the area that I know of but I don't frequent bars so I may be wrong.

Welcome to Lincoln,
GL2

Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,831,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
The bike/hiking trails were just a bonus for the Antelope project. Flood control was the main benefit and according to the experts without the improvements made there would have been flooding in the area this past spring. It is difficult to put a value on something that did NOT happen because of this project but it may have saved a large part of its cost already so I give the planners of the Antelope project an ATTABOY. The $350 million downtown Arena may not be such a wise expenditure.

GL2

Old 08-23-2011, 02:26 PM

22 posts, read 68,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
The bike/hiking trails were just a bonus for the Antelope project. Flood control was the main benefit and according to the experts without the improvements made there would have been flooding in the area this past spring. It is difficult to put a value on something that did NOT happen because of this project but it may have saved a large part of its cost already so I give the planners of the Antelope project an ATTABOY. The $350 million downtown Arena may not be such a wise expenditure.

GL2
Flood control? What's the last time Lincoln saw a flood? Antelope valley is a complete waste of public $. I can't believe a "fiscally conservative" state allowed this to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska