Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 6,761 times

Advertisements

On approximately May 10th my fiancee was taken to the hospital via the ambulance services because of chest pains. On April 20th I had lost my license because of a DWI via the ALR hearing. I didn't get sentenced officially until May 12th (at that time I lost my license for a year and got 2 days jail time). Nobody offered to let me ride with him to the hospital and after making several calls to try and find a ride, but having no luck, I drove myself out to the hospital. I made it out there okay, but when they said that he wouldn't be released until at least 8am the next morning, I ended up driving myself home. On the way home, an officer randomly pulled my plates and saw that my license was suspended and he pulled me over. I explained the circumstances and he obviously verified my story and ended up writing me a ticket and towing my vehicle but he did not arrest me. In fact, he gave me a ride home. What can I expect to happen in this situation. I have not been driving, but I did get SR22 insurance in case I can get approved for a work permit. I'm still waiting to see if my job will cover me under their insurance. What kind of jail time and fine should I expect? Will they take my license for another year? I am on probation for 9 months for the DWI. I got that along with the 2 days.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:47 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,460 times
Like anything, it depends on how harsh they want to be. The judge will of course probably wonder why you couldn't call a cab or take the bus, or why nobody was willing to drive you, or why you could not ride in the ambulance. The judge might assume that your friends and family are aware of your suspension and would be willing to drive you under the circumstances. Also that if you were to mention to the paramedics that you can't drive yourself becaues you don't have a valid license, they would probably let you ride.

If you simply were not home at the time, the judge may ask you how you ultimately got home and why you didn't use that method to get to the hospital. You also have to remember that the judge will probably assume that this is not the first time you've driven without a valid license. Even though this is the first time you got ticketed, they usually work off the assumption that a person will break the law many times before they get caught. They also work under the mindset that operating a vehicle is a privilage and not a right.

Driving with a suspended license in Nebraska is a Class II misdemeanor which comes with maximum penalties of 6 months imprisonment, or $1,000.00 fine or both.

You may be able to lower it to a Class III misdemeanor. If that is the case than the maximum penalties for this is 3 months imprisonment, or $500.00 fine or both.

In addition to these penalties, they can of course increase the term of your suspension or add in probation time.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,296 times
I recently got pulled for turning in the farthest lane instead of the closest lane and was under a suspended license for a DUI. I had completed everything and my probation was almost over. I got my license back a week after and spent a day in jail because there was a warrant out for my arrest because I violated my probation-I turned myself in the next day after I found out. Both my lawyer and probation officer said I can mostly likely expect a hefty fine and maybe 30-60 days more probation. Is this what I can expect?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:20 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,460 times
Help me with the time table here. .

So sometime ago you got a DUI and got your license suspended and got probation.

During your suspension and probation you got pulled over for the lane violation? This got you a ticket for driving with a suspended license which ended up getting you a day in jail for probation violation?

If this is the case. If you have a good lawyer you will probably be fined and get some more probation. Depending on the mood of the judge you might get your license taken away for longer. I would think that a deal with the county attorney could take jail or house arrest off the table, but without a deal those are also options.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:48 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lserhan View Post
On approximately May 10th my fiancee was taken to the hospital via the ambulance services because of chest pains. On April 20th I had lost my license because of a DWI via the ALR hearing. I didn't get sentenced officially until May 12th (at that time I lost my license for a year and got 2 days jail time). Nobody offered to let me ride with him to the hospital and after making several calls to try and find a ride, but having no luck, I drove myself out to the hospital. I made it out there okay, but when they said that he wouldn't be released until at least 8am the next morning, I ended up driving myself home. On the way home, an officer randomly pulled my plates and saw that my license was suspended and he pulled me over. I explained the circumstances and he obviously verified my story and ended up writing me a ticket and towing my vehicle but he did not arrest me. In fact, he gave me a ride home. What can I expect to happen in this situation. I have not been driving, but I did get SR22 insurance in case I can get approved for a work permit. I'm still waiting to see if my job will cover me under their insurance. What kind of jail time and fine should I expect? Will they take my license for another year? I am on probation for 9 months for the DWI. I got that along with the 2 days.
A Judge might consider your driving to the hospital an emergency situation and be lenient with you on that. However driving from the hospital to return home will probably be seen totally different. An emergency did not exist at that time. You could have had some other licensed driver drive you home, take a taxi etc. A talk with an attorney might be wise.

GL2

Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,478 times
Talk to an attorney. They might be able to persuade the prosecutor to either drop charges or at least reduce them. Your fate is usually determined not by the judge but by the prosecutor. So, if the circumstances are in fact as you explained them you appear to be a somewhat sympathetic offender. You will need to get an attorney though. I would not suggest just trying to go in and throw yourself at the mercy of the court.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:32 AM

529 posts, read 1,325,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lserhan View Post
I ended up driving myself home. On the way home, an officer randomly pulled my plates and saw that my license was suspended and he pulled me over.
Wow! There must be absolutely no crime in Nebraska if the cops have time to 'randomly' pull your plates to see if your driver's license was suspended.

What if someone else was driving your car with a valid license? Would the cops have pulled him over and gave him the third degree?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:06 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,478 times
actually have my doubts that the person was randomly pulled over because their driver's license was suspended. That doesn't seem to track and I'm not sure if police even have that capability (but I may very well be wrong). As the previous poster noted, what if another family member was driving your vehicle. The suspension of your license does not equal suspension of your vehicle. More likely they pulled you over for some other reason and then ran your name and discovered you had a suspended license. I'd be interested in the precise order of things as that might actually bear on your whether or not you have a case.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:10 AM

144 posts, read 120,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
actually have my doubts that the person was randomly pulled over because their driver's license was suspended. That doesn't seem to track and I'm not sure if police even have that capability (but I may very well be wrong).
They don't. They can run the plates and check for the vehicles status (i.e. Stolen, updated registration, etc.) The officer would have had to of had a reason to pull the driver over and, at that point, run her information.

Either way, driving under suspension is bad news. From everything I have heard, it's quite an irritant to the courts and they don't usually cut any breaks for that one.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:50 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,520 times
I tend to think Matt is right. There's more to the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska