Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:14 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,619,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer9297 View Post
I am not what people would call "lazy", but I have those days (sometimes consecutive days) when I just don't want to get out of bed or leave the house.

But I am currently looking for work. How is the job market in the Midwest or Nebraska?
I really do NOT think it's a good idea for you to just pack up and move to Nebraska. I think you may have some sort or romanticized ideal in your mind, regarding what the rural Midwest is like.

Take a road trip. Spend some time in Omaha, then in rural Nebraska. You may hate it, or you may love it. But make sure you know what you're getting into BEFORE making a commitment.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 05:02 PM

245 posts, read 544,057 times
Yes, please visit first, my wife just took me without visiting the place first, glad we are out of no diversityville.. Its still a nice city though...

Old 06-09-2010, 12:20 AM

123 posts, read 408,261 times
You definately owe it to yourself to visit the place first. I recently drove to Tulsa to investigate the place to see if I'd like to move there. I had an initial good feeling of the place but after spending a couple days there I hated it. I took a roadtrip back through Arkansas and Missouri and fell in love with northwest Arkansas by total chance. In turn, I am planning on moving there to finish my schooling. What I would recommend is to take a good roadtrip and pull out all the stops you can. You never know what you might find!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:19 PM

252 posts, read 731,363 times
Go to a place, in NE, that you like. Then, ask yourself if you would still like it, there, when the people you like most move away or die.
(In a sparse population, social outlets are not quickly replaced.)

Then, ask yourself if you are planning to change it in some way; you probably cannot.
(The cultural mores' are the result of an agri-centered work force.)

Then, ask yourself if you mind driving 50 to 100 miles or more to the next shopping spot.
(It's a reality on the vast grasslands.)

Of course, this is all true of most places and, you are (mostly) finding out about comfort within yourself. BUT, better to take these tests than invest money that you wish you had back. AND, those of us who like it here, remain heartened more with your decision.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 PM

153 posts, read 308,259 times
OP, I think you should check out Iowa City, IA

Old 06-19-2010, 10:02 PM

20 posts, read 56,454 times
Don't move here, you will regret it.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,075 times
i'm in the exact situation as you dreamer. My family and I can't wait to move from florida.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:04 PM

27 posts, read 72,532 times
Exclamation champions

I just got on a Greyhound and came to Grand Island where my fiance's niece picked us up. Then onward to Loup Cit and it was a frosty night. Sleet, as I remember.
It is lonely because you really don't have friends. Here.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:02 PM

7 posts, read 22,316 times
dreamer9297, did you move to Nebraska?

Old 07-03-2010, 12:23 AM

27 posts, read 72,532 times
I am new, since last October, to Nebraska. I love the small town feel. The sidewalks roll up at 7pm. I am a city girl from Calif. and I do miss some of the excitement but not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska