Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 PM

10 posts, read 38,504 times

Advertisements

I've never actually been to Nebraska, but I love the country-like lifestyle so that's why I'm choosing the state (or at least the Midwest). I'm 19-years-old. I don't mind big cities, but I don't want them TOO big, probably a population of 200,000 or less (I'd prefer less ).

I'm also black, I don't know how important that may be, because honestly, I get along with everyone.

Also, I'm not into politics, so I don't have an distinguished "party" I belong to.

Last edited by dreamer9297; 05-30-2010 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 12:40 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,609 times
Where do you live now? What do you like and dislike about where you live?

Nebraska is definitely a good place to find a country-like lifestyle, but what else are you looking for? Do you want a "small town" feel? Do you want a farm? Do you want to farm? Do you have a climate preference? Summers are hot and humid, winters are pretty cold and snowy.

I don't find people here to have problems with people based off of their race. But, **** anywhere there are a few people around whom are shallow enough to judge people by race.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 AM

I live along the Gulf Coast, actually pretty near the oil spill. I'm also tired of hurricanes.

I'm not interested in farming at this time, and for climate, I'm actually pretty adjustable. I used to live in southern Arkansas, where it would be over 100 degrees and snow in the same year.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:56 PM

123 posts, read 409,106 times
I strongly recommend you check places out before you decide to move there. It's always good to pay a visit (at least a few days). Also, it depends on the person, but you might find yourself at odds since there aren't a lot of black folks that live in Nebraska...there are a lot in Omaha and some in Lincoln. But those mentioned are bigger cities than 200,000 people. If you don't really mind being around mostly white people and Mexicans than you'll be okay. There's not much racism in this state so you'll blend in pretty well. Kearney, Nebraska is an excellent mid-sized town. Pretty close to 30,000 people and has everything ya need. They have a university and a great deal of shopping and still has a small town feel. If you want smaller, I recommend Nebraska City...about 6,000 people and an easy 45 minute drive to either Lincoln or Omaha.

Honestly, if you're tired of crowded places you've picked a pretty good place. But really, I had an in-law come from Indianapolis over the weekend and flew into Omaha. He commented about how quiet and less crowded Omaha is compared to other cities. So even in Omaha you can avoid the crowds and noise.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:00 PM

123 posts, read 409,106 times
I should also mention the weather is much more brutal here than Arkansas. In fact, Nebraska probably has the most bi-polar crazy weather out of anywhere. I work overnights and at 4:30 AM the temperature climbed down to 39 degrees. I looked on the forecast and the high was listed at 83. There can be huge temperature variations. The winter and spring is so windy most of the time. It takes the most amount of adapting to like this weather!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 PM

People have told me that the Midwest has bi-polar weather. It can be 110 in the Summer and then it's below 0 in the winter.

And I've been in situations where my family was the only black family in town, so I'm used to being around all kinds of people.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer9297 View Post
People have told me that the Midwest has bi-polar weather. It can be 110 in the Summer and then it's below 0 in the winter.

And I've been in situations where my family was the only black family in town, so I'm used to being around all kinds of people.
This is true. We've had weeks where one day it'll be close to 75 degrees, then not even a week later, snow.

I wouldn't worry about being black. People here are hard working people and care about that. If you are a lazy person, that leeches off the system, someone is going to say something, but that's regardless of your skin color. I know plenty of white people that are lazy and people are always giving them a hard time.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:55 PM

I am not what people would call "lazy", but I have those days (sometimes consecutive days) when I just don't want to get out of bed or leave the house.

But I am currently looking for work. How is the job market in the Midwest or Nebraska?

Old 06-02-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer9297 View Post
I am not what people would call "lazy", but I have those days (sometimes consecutive days) when I just don't want to get out of bed or leave the house.

But I am currently looking for work. How is the job market in the Midwest or Nebraska?
Nebraska is not in too bad of shape, compared to many other states. We all have our lazy days. I'm just saying if you were to just be a full time slacker and live off of the state. People might give you hard time..

Old 06-03-2010, 10:20 AM

36 posts, read 141,043 times
Also depends on what sorta work your looking for. Even though its slow the railroad is hiring, its a big job player in Nebraska. I lived in North Platte and then Brady,NE (both west of Kearney), and wasnt displeased in the least in any town out there.
And like everyone else said here, I dont think color will be a problem, just majority is white in the smaller towns, not a big deal.Good luck to ya, I think youll like it there wherever there might turn out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska