U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:25 AM

176 posts, read 864,705 times

Advertisements

matt- I'm sure you're already familiar with the Hare Krishna (spelling?) religion. It sounds right up your alley- from what I summed up when visiting one of their temples, they believe that all religions are good, and everyone can have their own god, and everyone's beliefs are correct and will earn them a spot in whatever heaven they believe in. It sounds wonderful, and I wish it were that easy!! And they were some of the nicest people I've ever met. Problem is, as attractive as their religion is, it just isn't correct.
Christianity is all about free will and faith. You've gotta give us Christians a little credit, here!- we're putting our faith in something we can't see or prove (and unbelievers love to point that out); but we feel it from our core and no one can tell us anything different.
Good luck to you with your marriage. I'm guessing your wife isn't too active in her faith, but keep in mind that if she does get active, you guys could have a lot of discontent in your marriage. Just some food for thought. I've never known a couple where one is a strong Christian and the other a strong atheist or agnostic that haven't had HUGE problems. Just some food for thought. Congratulations, good luck, and I wish you many happy years together!
(I don't want to fight either- in case you haven't figured it out, those of us who write the most posts are extremely opinionated and strong in our beliefs- what's important is to voice those beliefs in a respectful way, which you do and I thank you!)

Old 06-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,668,785 times
Matt if you plan on having children that's where the big problems will come in, as long as you're okay with her teaching your children her christian ways then there probably wouldn't be a problem. My husband believes in God, etc. but has no desire to attend church and such, I didn't realize how I would feel about this until we had children and now it's something I have to live with. It's hard for me because I want my daughter to experience the same things I did growing up....

Old 06-19-2007, 11:26 AM

How did this turn into a counseling session, lol?! Earniefan & I can give you free pre-marital counseling any time, matt!!!

Old 06-19-2007, 11:42 AM

292 posts, read 858,645 times
Smile Way to Religious

Again I must say, if it hasn't happened to you, you just flat out don't understand it! Anyways, I'm not here to convince you towards christianity, that's the Holy Spirit's job!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:48 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,643,804 times
Yeah, how did this turn into a counseling session! Its ok....i don't mind the effort.

Actually, my soon-to-be wife is involved in her faith. The reason it works is there is a mutual respect for each other's beliefs. Like you stated Racechick, there is some credit to be given for someone who believes in something they can't see, taste, or touch...and I do. I give christians plenty of credit and defend them on a regular basis. And if anyone would try to encroach on my fiancee's beliefs there would be serious repercussions.

However, my fiancee is also progressive enough to understand that although she believes in God that the Bible is not meant to be some sort of literal handbook. And she respects my doubting Thomas perspective. In a nutshell, is a christian, but not a judging one. In addition, I do believe strongly in the moral backing that a christian upbringing fosters, so, for that reason, I encourage the upbringing of our children in the church. However, when they are older, and we have discussed this, they will be exposed and actively engaged in the other ideas.

I have an interesting story. To show how accepting I am of my fiancee's Catholicism I actually went through the Catholic churches required "marriage counseling", so we can be wed in the church. I was completely open and honest with the priest and he was surprisingly refreshing on the issue. No silly dogma or fundamentalist point-of-views. In fact, we really had a pretty in depth b.s. session and he continually mentioned how he can't stand the fundamentalist's outlook. He said and I paraphrase, "evolution is absolute", "adam and eve did not represent 2 people" and "there was no Noah's arc". In addition, he stressed how he does not feel the teachings of his church was the only true path.

The point is a priest of the Catholic church doesn't believe the bible should be take literally...and that comes from the pope. If you would really start reading theologians study of the bible and other religions you would also find that very few would ever say that christianity is the "true" path.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:35 PM

71,557 posts, read 83,065,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zook View Post
As a new member of this forum I thought I would post my biggest problem with Nebraska.

In my honest opinion Nebraska is right behind Kansas in how religious they are. I am a devout Atheist, aka "Fundamental Atheist", "Confused Agnostic", "That Crazy Satan worshipper", "The Anti-God Freak", "Non-Believer", "That guy with a ticket straight to hell".

The list goes on, For a very long time. The crazy part is when I actually tell people that I am an atheist, They freak. The news spreads like wild fire and I am shunned beyond belief (No pun intended). Every single person I have told has turned their back on me or completely changed their views on me. I am instantly the dirt that they have the right to supposably walk all over. I see items all around me in the town I currently live in (Kearney, NE) and it just depresses me on how I am called the "Crazy Person" when I see Crosses and ten commandments by the roads, In the parks, and even on peoples property. I am told that I am not allowed to speak my opinion. I am told that I have no opinion unless I believe in god, and not just any god, but the one the person believes in. Everyone seems to forget that their are thousands of other religions out there with 1000's of other gods, But since Nebraskans like to act like "Fundamental Christians" if you say anything wrong about their god then your automatically slammed. Everything they say is right, You are wrong. Jehovah Witness's are everywhere, Same with "Jesus Freaks". I am starting to get that profile where if I walk down a certain street I will be able to hear someone preaching, On their lawn.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that has been treated this way, but anyway... Voice your opinion in this thread. I'm willing to hear it.

-Zook
well, I guess it would be time for you to re-locate. I just stumbed on this board while looking for something else; the subject matter interested me so I decided to open up the thread.

You have every right to believe as you choose, or is this case, not beleive, no one can take that away from you. That being said people who have views that differ strongly from the mainstream and choose to flaunt them which could be the case here have to expect some not so favorable feedback. Did it ever occur to you to say little or nothing? We were visiting AR last week, I am certainly not an athiest, in fact quite the opposite, but I am not part of a strong fundamentalist (spelling) religion and I do not wear my beleives on my sleeve. While standing in line getting food at a Western Sizzlin Steak house some nice lady started a conversation (Ar is quite friendly) I mentioned how good the food was and she informed me, when God is in charge everything is good. I could have responded in many ways but choose just to agree with her and go on my way. Did her open comments set me back a little? Yes, but no harm was done. I think you need to either roll with the punches a little better or perhaps find someplace where your views will be accepted a bit easier. That certainly isn't the mid west, Rocky mountain area or the south> NMnita

Old 06-19-2007, 03:12 PM

Nmnita,

The point is he shouldn't have to just "not say anything". If a person's belief system is so fragile that they get offended by hearing an athiest or agnostic talk about his beliefs then there is a problem. The point is, ultimately, there is one truth, but we don't "really" know what it is. This fact leads many to "faith", but it leads me to agnosticism. Why we can't agree to disagree is beyond me. It is the fundamentalists that just want me "to keep my mouth shut" that annoy me.

I've spoken about the topic with priests and pastors and they don't get upset.

I would add that earniefan and racechick seem to be able to communicate on this subject with about being upset about it. They don't seem to feel that there faith is threatened by what I or anyone else says.

On the other hand, I agree there are times a religious debate is not appropriate and its sometimes better just to let it go. But that also goes the other way too. Instead of someone telling me they'll pray for me and my salvation (which is phenomenally condescending) can't they simply keep their mouths shut as well??

Old 06-19-2007, 03:14 PM

Pope-Schmope!! lol- had to throw that in, hopefully no offense taken.

Just wanted to point out that Christianity and Catholicism are two ENTIRELY different things. 'Nuff said.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Nmnita,

The point is he should have to just "not say anything". If a person's belief system is so fragile that they get offended by hearing an athiest or agnostic talk about his beliefs then there is a problem. The point is, ultimately, there is one truth, but we don't "really" know what it is. This fact leads many to "faith", but it leads me to agnosticism. Why we can't agree to disagree is beyond me. It is the fundamentalists that just want me "to keep my mouth shut" that annoy me.

I've spoken about the topic with priests and pastors and they don't get upset.

I would add that earniefan and racechick seem to be able to communicate on this subject with about being upset about it. They don't seem to feel that there faith is threatened by what I say.

On the other hand, there are times a religious debate is not appropriate and its sometimes better just to let it go. But that also goes the other way too.
Just don't get me started on politics, ha ha!

Old 06-19-2007, 03:25 PM

Racechick,

Catholicism and Christianity are the same. Obviously, you're stating this as a protestant. I'd point out I was raised as a United Methodist...just as a disclaimer.

Catholicism existed long before any of the protestant denominations and Martin Luther broke off of the catholic church and the decision was more political then spiritual. That then lead to the ultimately branching of the multitude of protestant faiths...methodist, all the different baptists, all the different lutherans, calvinists...

The differences between catholics and protestants, when viewed globally, are very subtle, especially if you compare say Lutherans to the Catholic church. And they are both rightfully considered christian.

I understand that you're making the distinction as protestant-Catholic rivalry thing...but i just wanted to make some points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or