U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM

8 posts, read 23,379 times

Advertisements

I'm really trying to talk my husband into moving outwest! I've been researching and it seems like Elko or Ely is a good place. How is the severe weather there? Alot of tornados? Also we have a 21 month old and my sister and her husband ( because if we move it would be my family of 3, my sisters family of 3, and my mom and dad) have a 12 yr old girl. Are the schools safe? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 05:48 PM

2,014 posts, read 4,850,385 times
How is the severe weather there?
A few thunderstorms and some winter snow.

Alot of tornados?

None, zero zip, an occasional dust devil.

Also we have a 21 month old and my sister and her husband ( because if we move it would be my family of 3, my sisters family of 3, and my mom and dad) have a 12 yr old girl. Are the schools safe?

Why do people worry about "safe"? How about that kid in Oregon at a nice safe school, and no one has seen him in over a week. Life isn't safe, you live it anyway.

You should love either of these two towns, but, not everyone will, some will think they have died and gone to heaven, some people will think they have died and gone to hell. If you like the out of doors, Nevada is a great place.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 AM

Default Want to move to nevada

I'M TRYING TO TALK MY HUSBAND INTO MOVING TO NEVADA. MY MOM AND DAD LOVE IT, THEY HAVE BEEN 5 TIMES. IT WOULD BE MY FAMILY OF 3 (A 21 MONTH OLD) MY SISTER'S FAMILY OF 3 (A 12YR OLD DAUGHTER) AND MY MOM AND DAD.

I'VE BEEN DOING SOME RESEARCH AND IT SEEMS LIKE ELKO WOULD BE A NICE PLACE, WHAT ABOUT ELY? ALSO HOW IS THE SEVERE WEATHER? IS THERE ALOT OF TORNADOS?

IS THERE ANY OTHER NICE TOWNS, GOOD SCHOOL SYSTEM, LOW CRIME RATE? AFFORDABLE HOUSING? ANY INFO TO SHARE WITH MY HUSBAND WOULD BE GREAT!! ALSO IS THERE ANY KIND OF FEED MILLS OR HATCHERYS?

Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 AM

Default Visiting

WE ARE ACTUALLY DRIVING OUT TO VEGAS IN ONE WEEK FOR A VACATION!!! I THINK ITS LIKE A 20-22 HOUR DRIVE???

Old 06-16-2010, 04:08 PM

6,050 posts, read 5,820,648 times
Hello, babs, my wife and I and our 2 y/o Chow Chow and 6 y/o Pomeranian moved here to Elko on May 17th.

I got a job at Northeastern Nevada Regional Hospital. So far it's a great gig-nice people that understand it while you learn their hospital's system of doing business.

On the housing front expect a small supply of rentals and kind of high rents. We got lucky and scored a one-yr. lease of a small 1BD, 1 BA house with a fenced front yard on one of the "tree streets"(downtown-great walking area for us and the dogs) in Elko. $650 a month but with large amounts of dog deposits and damage deposits required. Still we're happy to get this rental. We aren't ready to buy a house here but if the job works out we may eventually want to.

Elko is isolated but my wife and I like that. It's about 225 south of Boise, 245 miles east of Reno and 250 miles west of Salt Lake City. The weather is clean and crisp with an occasional thunderstorm and not much rain. We haven't been here through one of their winters but I'm not worried much about a titch of snow(OK-I know it will probably be more than a titch of snow!!)...it will not be a problem.

Elko is kind of hilly so if there is any snow that lasts driving could be a problem. No one warns about nasty driving though in Elko-apparently the snow melts pretty quickly.

So far my wife and I are very happy here in Elko. The city data writings are fairly accurate about the small NE Nevada city we now call home. Come on out and stay-I think you'll like it here.

About 7 grocery stores-lots of different restaurants and a decent chunk of stores of different types to shop at. There are no malls but one doesn't need them here.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:43 PM

3,684 posts, read 13,173,479 times
I would go with Elko. It's a nice town but it's far from any big city. The winters don't have all that much snow but it does get COLD. Summers are in the 80's to high 90's, but with low humidity. There are no tornados in northern Nevada.

Nearby, there is the Ruby Mountains if you like hiking and camping HIKING THE RUBY MOUNTAINS and the Ruby Marsh, a wetland with fishing and hunting NevadAdventureS Ruby Lake Refuge, fishing, camping, boating, Elko County, Nevada.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:15 PM

21 posts, read 76,164 times
if you can deal with the state being broke, basically no education budget and major political corruption and some of the nastiest cops in the nation nevada is a great place with nice scenery, and in so nevada is just plain brown everywhere which is just plain ole boring. north of clark county im not sure whats up there in that sense. i never hear of tornadoes on the news often if ever.
i live in vegas, it wasnt a total loss but now that i have a kid i refuse to raise my kid in this corrupt uneducated environment. i think nevada is great if you are adults with no kids.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:16 PM

thanks everyone for your opinions and info. I f you have anymore let me know!!! Also, is there any other towns in northern nevada i should look into??

Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 PM

401 posts, read 1,340,203 times
Ely weather is very similar to Elko. No major natural disasters per say (there was a 7 earthquake in Wells last year). Long, cool winters with lots of snow. We really like the schools in Ely. The class sizes are small and the teachers are very good for the most part (maybe we've been lucky). If you think Elko is isolated, try Ely out for size. If I want to go to Walmart, closest one is Elko. Jobs are most likely easier to find in Elko, but there's a bit of a housing crunch. Ely has housing avalible, but nowhere near the job opportunities of Elko.

If you are comming out to LV, maybe take a overnite trip and see which one is for you. Ely's 250 miles north of LV and Elko is about 175 from Ely.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:37 AM

2,014 posts, read 4,850,385 times
I'll second that, Ely is a nice little town. Some years ago Outside Magazine rated White Pine county as one of the 10 best counties in America for outdoors people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada