U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:35 PM

9,932 posts, read 22,143,901 times

Advertisements

My info came from someone that had unemployment from one state and moved here. He had to tell the state he was moving from that he was moving elsewhere. If they are sending you the payments in direct deposit like they are doing for everyone else, if you move, won't you be banking there too?
Too confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:53 PM

12,686 posts, read 31,842,139 times
Just to make sure y'all are clear on this:

You can file in Nevada, move to another state, and transfer your claim to that state AS SOON AS YOU GET THERE. Now that is sort of confusing because you really aren't transferring anything except where you report to if told to bring your work search into the local office, or report for additional help with your job search. (They might do a sort of seminar that you'd be required to attend)

If you want to, you can go to another state BEFORE you file a new claim. It would be considered an Interstate Claim against NEVADA.

That goes for ANYONE MOVING TO NEVADA. When you get here, you are supposed to transfer your claim to the local office here. OR you can wait and file the Interstate Claim FROM Nevada against your HOME STATE.

OR if you earned wages during the base period from more than one state, you can file a Combined Wage Claim, and it will be against whatever state you file it in. In other words, if you earned money in Alabama, and Oregon, for example, and then move to Nevada, you can file a Nevada claim by combining the wages into one claim, even if you never worked in Nevada. That gets a little technical, so I wouldn't worry about it, except to just be absolutely sure you tell whoever takes your claim that you have other wages in other states, or you will not get credit, and you might not get your full benefits. They will give you all your best options when they know the facts.

Disclaimer: I know that in this day and age of internet claims filing, some of those steps may not be totally necessary as long as you go on line and let them know where you are and what you are doing. I' wouldn't risk it though. I'd call.

I've heard a lot of stories about how California doesn't much care what you do. I don't know if that is true or not since they have to follow the same rules laid out by the U.S Department of Labor as the other states do. But I do know that when I worked at ESD we considered California pretty much of a joke when it came to unemployment.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
My info came from someone that had unemployment from one state and moved here. He had to tell the state he was moving from that he was moving elsewhere. If they are sending you the payments in direct deposit like they are doing for everyone else, if you move, won't you be banking there too?
Too confusing.
See my disclaimer above.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:47 PM

1,956 posts, read 5,903,913 times
Thanks. I believe i follow what your saying. I just cant believe the wait time to get thru to Nevada's unemployment. 2-3 hr wait. I waited the other day on hold from 10am-1pm then got disconected! Look out for a PM message from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Just to make sure y'all are clear on this:

You can file in Nevada, move to another state, and transfer your claim to that state AS SOON AS YOU GET THERE. Now that is sort of confusing because you really aren't transferring anything except where you report to if told to bring your work search into the local office, or report for additional help with your job search. (They might do a sort of seminar that you'd be required to attend)

If you want to, you can go to another state BEFORE you file a new claim. It would be considered an Interstate Claim against NEVADA.

That goes for ANYONE MOVING TO NEVADA. When you get here, you are supposed to transfer your claim to the local office here. OR you can wait and file the Interstate Claim FROM Nevada against your HOME STATE.

OR if you earned wages during the base period from more than one state, you can file a Combined Wage Claim, and it will be against whatever state you file it in. In other words, if you earned money in Alabama, and Oregon, for example, and then move to Nevada, you can file a Nevada claim by combining the wages into one claim, even if you never worked in Nevada. That gets a little technical, so I wouldn't worry about it, except to just be absolutely sure you tell whoever takes your claim that you have other wages in other states, or you will not get credit, and you might not get your full benefits. They will give you all your best options when they know the facts.

Disclaimer: I know that in this day and age of internet claims filing, some of those steps may not be totally necessary as long as you go on line and let them know where you are and what you are doing. I' wouldn't risk it though. I'd call.

I've heard a lot of stories about how California doesn't much care what you do. I don't know if that is true or not since they have to follow the same rules laid out by the U.S Department of Labor as the other states do. But I do know that when I worked at ESD we considered California pretty much of a joke when it came to unemployment.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:52 PM

5,071 posts, read 9,072,096 times
Quote:
Whoever told you that, I just hope it wasn't a State of Nevada ESD employee. If it was, they'd better be pulled off the phones until they get some training.

First of all, YOU NEVER PAID ONE DIME in taxes for unemployment insurance. It is 100% paid for by your employers, and it is 100% Federal money. Your claim will be administered by the state where you earned the money. You can file your claim from any other state, but it will be a Nevada Interstate Claim. There is one exception to that. If you have earnings in more than one state, you would file a Combined Wage Claim, and the claim will be on the state where you file as long as you move there before filing. Some people with combined wages will move to the state that pays the highest weekly benefits to file the original claim. If you file in Nevada and go to NJ, it will always be a Nevada claim, and you will get whatever benefits you are owed from Nevada. If you only worked in Nevada, it will always be a Nevada claim, no matter where you file it from. You would be entitled to any and all extensions that you would ordinarily be entitled to if you had never left Nevada.

One more thing: If you decide to move back to Nevada, you will need to call or go on line and transfer the claim back to the local office. When something changes and you don't let ESD know, they will hold payments until you contact them and tell them what's going on.
Sorry she didn't say I paid it, just that the taxes were generated due to my employment in Nevada and I am entitled to the funds no matter where I live. She said people who have moved to another state can get extensions approved, but they rarely do get approved. Just was talking from her experience, but it didn't matter because my 6 months ran out the week I got to Colorado during the time the extensions were in limbo due to lack of Congressional approval and then I found a job within about a month of getting here.

Buzz you get so sensitive about this, just relaying my relatively recent experience. If they fire that lady it would be a great disservice, she was very efficient and helpful to me.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I had this happen recently and was told you can continue on regular unemployment out of state from Nevada for your original 6 month period, but they won't usually approve you for the emergency extensions. Since Congress hasn't passed them recently I guess it doesn't matter. But she said technically if you earned the unemployment by paying the taxes in Nevada then you are entitled to them elsewhere, but they do want you to report that you have relocated and give a new contact address. Otherwise if it isn't noted on your account by your case worker when it shows up you are taking withdrawals out of state or logging in with an out of Nevada IP address it could start an investigation because an investigator will assume you are out of state for leisure and not for a job hunt. Now I don't know if this would apply if you immediately moved out of state after losing your job, that might be a problem because you won't be able to go into the office and have your initial interview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Sorry she didn't say I paid it, just that the taxes were generated due to my employment in Nevada and I am entitled to the funds no matter where I live. She said people who have moved to another state can get extensions approved, but they rarely do get approved. Just was talking from her experience, but it didn't matter because my 6 months ran out the week I got to Colorado during the time the extensions were in limbo due to lack of Congressional approval and then I found a job within about a month of getting here.

Buzz you get so sensitive about this, just relaying my relatively recent experience. If they fire that lady it would be a great disservice, she was very efficient and helpful to me.
It sounds to me like you are saying you paid taxes for UI in the post above.

And, I didn't say she should get fired ...I said retrained. But then I couldn't tell from your post if you were referring to an ESD Claims Examiner or just a friend. I was hoping it was a friend. It makes me sad to hear that a Claims Examiner says things like that. But I'd be willing to bet she didn't say all that anyway. I would bet anything that you didn't understand what she said.

I am not picking on you either. I only say that because nobody outside of ESD ever does understand it, and many inside ESD don't get it either because there are layers of experience there. Lots of newbies answer those phones. That's why I keep repeating myself on this stuff. I know how complicated it is, and if you haven't had the training yourself, chances are almost 100% that you won't understand it, and another 100% that you will hear it the way you want to hear it. I'm only saying these things based on years of talking to people about it.

Again, I'm not picking on you, but if I get sensitive it's because I've seen so many people lose their unemployment insurance benefits due to listening to friends, and they can't afford to lose their benefits when they don't have a job. So you can't take shortcuts. It must be done properly, and carefully, or you'll *********rself every single time. That is not an exaggeration.

I always try to make this point whenever I can. Friends NEVER know how it works and WILL ALWAYS GIVE YOU BAD ADVICE. ALWAYS means ALWAYS. EVERY single time someone has told me that so and so told them this or that about UI, IT WAS ALWAYS WRONG. Always!!!! And it ALWAYS screwed up their claim if they listened to the friend's advice. Always!!! ALWAYS, ALWAYS means ALWAYS. So just don't do it.

So what if you have to wait on the phone for a while? If you don't have a job to go to, your job is to do these things correctly and carefully.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 AM

6,021 posts, read 5,762,577 times
Hey, Buzz...I'm seeking marginal legal advice without calling 'Handel on the Law', here.

Can a person open up a claim in Arizona, collect benefits there in Arizona for a while, then, after moving to Nevada for several weeks, go back to work for a few weeks in Nevada, quit that job and then resume a combination of benefits from either Arizona and/or Nevada?

I'd think so but maybe not if you quit and don't get fired from the latest job here in Nevada, huh? Just curious.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Hey, Buzz...I'm seeking marginal legal advice without calling 'Handel on the Law', here.

Can a person open up a claim in Arizona, collect benefits there in Arizona for a while, then, after moving to Nevada for several weeks, go back to work for a few weeks in Nevada, quit that job and then resume a combination of benefits from either Arizona and/or Nevada?

I'd think so but maybe not if you quit and don't get fired from the latest job here in Nevada, huh? Just curious.
Whenever and wherever you open a claim, it is in effect for one year. You cannot have more than one claim at a time within that year. If there is still money in the AZ claim, you can file an additional claim, but if you quit the job you would most likely be disqualified, and would have to go through a process to re-qualify. So I wouldn't file a claim after quitting a job. I'd get a temp job where I was on call. When you are on call you are laid off every time they send you home to wait for another call. I don't remember the law in Arizona, but it's probably similar to Nevada, where if you are laid off from the last two jobs (even if it's the same employer) then you could reopen your claim. Actually, it's called filing an Additional Claim or AC. You would do that through the Nevada ESD even if it's an AZ claim.

If your year is up in AZ, then you could file a claim here if you worked enough since filing the claim in AZ. And if you still have eligible wages in AZ, and wages in NV, yes you could file a combined wage claim. But you have to tell them as they are not mind readers.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 PM

6,021 posts, read 5,762,577 times
Thank you, Buzz!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:59 PM

5,071 posts, read 9,072,096 times
Quote:
It sounds to me like you are saying you paid taxes for UI in the post above.

And, I didn't say she should get fired ...I said retrained. But then I couldn't tell from your post if you were referring to an ESD Claims Examiner or just a friend. I was hoping it was a friend. It makes me sad to hear that a Claims Examiner says things like that. But I'd be willing to bet she didn't say all that anyway. I would bet anything that you didn't understand what she said.

I am not picking on you either. I only say that because nobody outside of ESD ever does understand it, and many inside ESD don't get it either because there are layers of experience there. Lots of newbies answer those phones. That's why I keep repeating myself on this stuff. I know how complicated it is, and if you haven't had the training yourself, chances are almost 100% that you won't understand it, and another 100% that you will hear it the way you want to hear it. I'm only saying these things based on years of talking to people about it.

Again, I'm not picking on you, but if I get sensitive it's because I've seen so many people lose their unemployment insurance benefits due to listening to friends, and they can't afford to lose their benefits when they don't have a job. So you can't take shortcuts. It must be done properly, and carefully, or you'll *********rself every single time. That is not an exaggeration.

I always try to make this point whenever I can. Friends NEVER know how it works and WILL ALWAYS GIVE YOU BAD ADVICE. ALWAYS means ALWAYS. EVERY single time someone has told me that so and so told them this or that about UI, IT WAS ALWAYS WRONG. Always!!!! And it ALWAYS screwed up their claim if they listened to the friend's advice. Always!!! ALWAYS, ALWAYS means ALWAYS. So just don't do it.

So what if you have to wait on the phone for a while? If you don't have a job to go to, your job is to do these things correctly and carefully.
Yeah sure you are not picking on me. I'll leave it to the self-appointed experts and stop posting my recent personal experiences in here. Last time you'll hear from me in the Las Vegas boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada