U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2010, 03:32 PM

1,869 posts, read 3,997,810 times
Default Can i move out of Nevada and collect unemployment?

I'm new on umemployment, only 3 weeks in. Can I move out of Nevada and still collect from Nevada ? I'm in las vegas NV. There is no work here for me. I have a much much better opportunity to get a job back east where my family has a business. But i cant land a job back east until i arrive there.

So how does that work?

Move and still file the same weekly? If unemployment/Nevada state finds that i moved to the east coast will they cut off my unemployment? Or can i still collect out of state?

I did call unemployment, was on hold for 2 hrs! My call was dropped! unreal! No time to keep calling them.

Please help

Thank You
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 PM

15,380 posts, read 22,500,812 times
why not?????you dont have a job......

Old 07-26-2010, 04:27 PM

8,789 posts, read 14,909,246 times
You will have to let Nevada know that you are going east for work. And then I guess you would have to apply again back east to continue getting your checks until you get work.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:37 PM

16 posts, read 22,347 times
I moved here from Ca and have been collecting unemployment from CA. You file in the state you were laid off from, so you will still get your unemployment from NV.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:06 PM

1,869 posts, read 3,997,810 times
Thats where i get confused. If i was laid off recently here in Las Vegas, and then i move back east. Why would i have to apply in my new home state for unemployment? Or can i move to lets say NJ and apply online for my unemployment there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
You will have to let Nevada know that you are going east for work. And then I guess you would have to apply again back east to continue getting your checks until you get work.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 PM

11,396 posts, read 19,749,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
I'm new on unemployment, only 3 weeks in. Can I move out of Nevada and still collect from Nevada ? I'm in Las Vegas NV. There is no work here for me. I have a much much better opportunity to get a job back east where my family has a business. But i cant land a job back east until i arrive there.

So how does that work?

Move and still file the same weekly? If unemployment/Nevada state finds that i moved to the east coast will they cut off my unemployment? Or can i still collect out of state?

I did call unemployment, was on hold for 2 hrs! My call was dropped! unreal! No time to keep calling them.

Please help

Thank You
Yes you can. When you get back there just call or go on line to the unemployment office in that state and tell them you wish to do an Interstate Transfer. They will handle the paperwork to let Nevada know that you checked in with them, and then you will just continue to file with NEVADA as usual. You may need to be a little more diligent in keeping track of your work search back there. If you stop looking for work during the time it takes you to move, do not file for those weeks that you didn't apply for jobs as you wouldn't be eligible during that time, and you don't want to answer your weekly claim questions fraudulently. If that is the case, you will be doing an interstate RO (re-open ) of your NEVADA claim. You can also file Interstate Claims from U.S. Possessions such as Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands, and from Canada.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:49 PM

3,602 posts, read 4,098,510 times
I had this happen recently and was told you can continue on regular unemployment out of state from Nevada for your original 6 month period, but they won't usually approve you for the emergency extensions. Since Congress hasn't passed them recently I guess it doesn't matter. But she said technically if you earned the unemployment by paying the taxes in Nevada then you are entitled to them elsewhere, but they do want you to report that you have relocated and give a new contact address. Otherwise if it isn't noted on your account by your case worker when it shows up you are taking withdrawals out of state or logging in with an out of Nevada IP address it could start an investigation because an investigator will assume you are out of state for leisure and not for a job hunt. Now I don't know if this would apply if you immediately moved out of state after losing your job, that might be a problem because you won't be able to go into the office and have your initial interview.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:59 PM

BTW: You do not have to waste time telling Nevada that you are leaving before you can go; you just have to reopen your NEVADA claim from the new state. Just keep in mind that you file weekly claims, and when you file you answer five questions. I don't remember the exact wording (you'd think I would after 14 years) but they ask if ...during the week ending (date-Sat midnight) did you look for work as instructed? And they ask if you refused any offers of work, as well as things like "...were you in school?", etc. If you were traveling and not looking for work for a week, you'll lose the benefits for that week. But they will just be tacked onto the end if you're out of work that long. Right now it looks like it will never end with Congress giving so many UI extensions.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I had this happen recently and was told you can continue on regular unemployment out of state from Nevada for your original 6 month period, but they won't usually approve you for the emergency extensions. Since Congress hasn't passed them recently I guess it doesn't matter. But she said technically if you earned the unemployment by paying the taxes in Nevada then you are entitled to them elsewhere, but they do want you to report that you have relocated and give a new contact address. Otherwise if it isn't noted on your account by your case worker when it shows up you are taking withdrawals out of state or logging in with an out of Nevada IP address it could start an investigation because an investigator will assume you are out of state for leisure and not for a job hunt. Now I don't know if this would apply if you immediately moved out of state after losing your job, that might be a problem because you won't be able to go into the office and have your initial interview.
Whoever told you that, I just hope it wasn't a State of Nevada ESD employee. If it was, they'd better be pulled off the phones until they get some training.

First of all, YOU NEVER PAID ONE DIME in taxes for unemployment insurance. It is 100% paid for by your employers, and it is 100% Federal money. Your claim will be administered by the state where you earned the money. You can file your claim from any other state, but it will be a Nevada Interstate Claim. There is one exception to that. If you have earnings in more than one state, you would file a Combined Wage Claim, and the claim will be on the state where you file as long as you move there before filing. Some people with combined wages will move to the state that pays the highest weekly benefits to file the original claim. If you file in Nevada and go to NJ, it will always be a Nevada claim, and you will get whatever benefits you are owed from Nevada. If you only worked in Nevada, it will always be a Nevada claim, no matter where you file it from. You would be entitled to any and all extensions that you would ordinarily be entitled to if you had never left Nevada.

One more thing: If you decide to move back to Nevada, you will need to call or go on line and transfer the claim back to the local office. When something changes and you don't let ESD know, they will hold payments until you contact them and tell them what's going on.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 PM

I will add my usual disclaimer here: NOT ONE LAY PERSON has ever told me anything that was ever true about unemployment laws at any time in the last 20 years. To make matters worse, even about 25% of the UI Claims Examiners at ESD (State of Nevada Employment Security Division) will be wrong 30% of the time. Since I have been retarded from ESD for a few years now, I wouldn't even believe me. But it's for sure that NOT ONE PERSON ON THIS FORUM will have the definitive answer, or even come close to the answer, to any UI questions.

So CALL ESD, and if you have doubts about the person you are talking to, ask to talk to a supervisor. I'd say read your manual, but I know for 100% certain that most people can read it all day and still won't understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of: