U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 04:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,847 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a writer from England and I'm currently writing a short story about a couple whose car breaks down somewhere on the 360 (so somewhere between Tonopah and Hawthorne areas).
Being from England I have no idea about breakdown recovery in Nevada - who would they call? It's their own car, they're from Henderson travelling from Tahoe - who would they call for breakdown recovery?

(Obviously, for the dramatic point of the story, there's no signal on their phone, but they at least need to try!)

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate it!

Sparklybeck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 PM

3,680 posts, read 13,138,814 times
Highway 95 is the highway between Tonopah and Hawthorne. There is a highway 361 that branches off 95 towards Gabbs.

Cell phone service is probably spotty in this area of the desert.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:02 PM

514 posts, read 519,442 times
Probably Triple A, if not them, any tow service in either Hawthorne or Tonopah. I don't know about route 360, Driving from Tahoe to Henderson they would probably take 50 to 395 to 208 to Alt 95, to 95. Or 50 to 395, then through Death Valley to Pahrump hence to Vegas.

traveling in Nevada, smart drivers carry SPOT, , findmespot.com

Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 AM

53 posts, read 275,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklybeck View Post
Hi,

I am a writer from England and I'm currently writing a short story about a couple whose car breaks down somewhere on the 360 (so somewhere between Tonopah and Hawthorne areas).
Being from England I have no idea about breakdown recovery in Nevada - who would they call? It's their own car, they're from Henderson travelling from Tahoe - who would they call for breakdown recovery?

(Obviously, for the dramatic point of the story, there's no signal on their phone, but they at least need to try!)

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate it!

Sparklybeck
They'd have to be driving from somewhere like Benton, CA to Hawthorne, NV if they were to use highway 360. They would probably call AAA (although I very much doubt they would have any service), or as someone mentioned above, they'd be carrying SPOT.

I think it's worth mentioning that highway 360 is a very small highway (about 25 miles long) branching from highway 6, merging with (and becoming) highway 95 for about 20 miles (passing Mina Airport), then rebranching from 95 and becoming highway 361.

I honestly can't see why anyone would use 360 unless they're coming from the california border and trying to go north towards Walker Lake. Even then, I would personally use highway 167 which becomes highway 359 after passing the NV state line if I wanted to go towards Hawthorne or Walker Lake.

best of luck with your story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or