U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-26-2007, 08:20 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,135,547 times
Default There's lots of smoke in the Carson Valley

Here's the downside to living in the West. Instead of our usual clear, deep blue, skies in the Carson Valley, we've been suffering with choking smoke for a couple days. Why is that? Well, I'm sure y'all have seen the Lake Tahoe (Angora Ridge) fire on the news. It just keeps going and going and going. All those folks up on the hill have been severly affected by it, with many of them losing their homes . We've been getting the downwind affects of the fire with the smoke.

Here's a picture of the fire in Tahoe:

Click Here

Photo courtesy of jakefields (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315135@N06/ - broken link) at Flickr

. . . and here's a slideshow:

Nevada Appeal - Video

Photos courtesy of Nevada Appeal

Although the burn is primarily in California, it's right against the Nevada border. Due to the proximity of the fire, the smoke has been affecting Nevada Tahoe areas, like Incline Village and others, as well as the Carson Valley. Carson City up in Eagle Valley and Virginia City on the Comstock have also been affected with the smoke. The smoke just streams into the valley depending on the wind intensity and direction.

Here's a picture of the smoke settling in the Carson Valley:

Photo courtesy of Scott Schrantz (http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottschrantz/ - broken link) at Flickr

BTW, Scott runs a really good blog about things going on in the Carson Valley, as well as Carson City and other areas outside of the Carson Valley. If you're considering moving to the area, he provides a good reading resource for you. Here's a link to his blog: Around Carson

Hopefully this fire will be over soon and nobody will end up being physically harmed. Luckily, this isn't a common occurance in one area, but it is something that comes up now and again throughout the West. With any luck, no other houses up the hill will be damaged and the folks who have lost their houses will be able to quickly put their lives back together.

Here's a photo of a tanker helping to bring the fire to an end:

Photo courtesy of Scott Schrantz (http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottschrantz/ - broken link) at Flickr

So, if y'all are considering North-West Nevada, our area will be back to normal very soon. The smoke will go away and our air in the Carson Valley will return to it's grandeur. See y'all later!

Last edited by garth; 06-26-2007 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-27-2007, 06:15 PM

93 posts, read 222,392 times
I know, the smoke in Carson City is really bad. It was very clear before the fire started. It now kind of all looks like a great big cloud. It's so bad you can even kind of smell it. I really feel bad for all the people who lost their homes in the fire. I hope it gets better real soon.

Unread 06-28-2007, 05:08 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,518,958 times
Is Great Basin Guide being affected by the fires, I mean is he in harms way

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:17 PM

1,900 posts
No, I live north of the lake the fire is in the southwest corner of the lake. Thanks for your concern, we fret over fire all summer. On my five acres I have the south and west sides fenced and have llamas, they eat all the ground fuel, but when the wind blows the fire crowns, and that is the big danger for us.

My wife did find a burning car with an acre on fire on the way to Reno today on a back dirt road, fortunately the Forest Service jumped on it quickly.

In Reno in the past week there was a fire caused by a fellow mowing weeds on his property, the blade hit a rock, the fire went for 100 acres. There was another 80 acres south of Caughlin Ranch, probably a smoker, and another 20 acres caused by a golfer swinging in the rough and hitting a rock.

Pretty darned dry in the West these days.

Unread 06-28-2007, 11:05 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,135,547 times
Those darn golfers. They do that all the time. They ought to make golfing illegal . . .

Unread 06-29-2007, 07:52 AM

1,900 posts
I personally like the idea of outlawing mowing lawns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada