U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:39 PM

7 posts, read 33,539 times

Advertisements

My husband was recently offered a great job opportunity in Carson City, however we don't want to live there because of the size of the city and some problems that occur in a city that size.

We are looking to rent for at least 6 months in either Gardnerville (not Ranchos), Minden, or Dayton. All are within 30 minutes of Carson City from what I remember.

Are there any mountain passes or other worries that we would have to worry about when he is commuting during the winter? Is there any shopping in Gardnerville, Minden, or Dayton? Which school districts would be the safest for a Middle School and High School child?

Currently we live in a small town that has a wal-mart, K-mart and several grocery stores. Any information you could tell me on why you would live in one of the towns versus another would be great.

If you live in any of the above areas, could you tell me what you love about the area? We aren't too much into hiking, but love camping, road trips and being in beautiful scenery.

Also, is it a good area for anyone that has allergy induced asthma? Is it okay for people with allergies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 AM

197 posts, read 460,493 times
Carson is just as good and bad as Gardnerville, Minden and Dayton......-and you will STILL have to come to CC for work, shopping and entertainment....then again your to scared to lol -just joking on the last part-

Old 08-29-2010, 08:21 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,298,693 times
I'll provide my perspective on a few of the questions you asked, but I'll leave it for others to address some of your other questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theautotechswife View Post
Are there any mountain passes or other worries that we would have to worry about when he is commuting during the winter?
No. The drive from the Carson Valley (Douglas County) into the Eagle Valley (Carson City/County) is straight up US395. Although it rises as you exit Douglas and enter Carson, I wouldn't call it an actual "pass" where the conditions change.

Quote:
Is there any shopping in Gardnerville, Minden, or Dayton?
Douglas County has a WalMart at the north end of the County along with a Best Buy, Barnes&Nobel, Home Depot, etc. Of course there are all the grocery stores you want in Gardnerville and a higher end one in Minden. Other than that, Minden and Gardnerville are pretty much limited to some speciality stores within the town limits.

Quote:
Which school districts would be the safest for a Middle School and High School child?
. . . funny you should ask this question. Here's a recent article from the local newspaper talking aobut the state of some schools in Douglas County: Five Douglas schools on watch list | RecordCourier.com

I'll leave it for others to address more about the school system in the two areas. My only impression is that Nevada is not known for the best school conditions if I have to paint it with a very broad brush. The drop-out rate is pretty high.

Quote:
Also, is it a good area for anyone that has allergy induced asthma? Is it okay for people with allergies?
Well, that pretty variable between different people. At one time of the year, perhaps for a month or so, the sage likes to send out pollen. That bothers some people. There's also a time during the year when I get a coating of yellow pollen on the patio and cars if they're parked outside. It's pretty thick. I don't know if it's the sage pollen or stuff from the pine trees on the mountains.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:07 AM

Thanks PAS36Bh and garth for answering some of my questions. My husband already has a job in Carson City, so we don't have to worry about that aspect of moving. One of the reasons we are moving from our current location is the fact that there have been more murders here in the past 5 years than the whole century before that.

I realize that we cannot get away from all crime, but I would like to avoid the dangers of gang violence (the recent shootings in Carson do scare me) and bad neighborhoods.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,298,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theautotechswife View Post
I realize that we cannot get away from all crime, but I would like to avoid the dangers of gang violence (the recent shootings in Carson do scare me) and bad neighborhoods.
That kind of stuff is everywhere to varying degrees. In terms of Carson vs. Douglas Cty, Carson has much more gang activity that any place in Douglas Cty.

In terms of Douglas Cty, you'll find more of the bad stuff down in a section of Gardnerville called "The Ranchos." There are some very nice areas adjacent to The Ranchos like the Chambers Field area. The houses there can get real big and expensive, but the Ranchos stand in stark compromise. It is a much more modest area.

Modest does not mean the area is bad. What it means is that it was built with affordability in mind. However, it has developed a reputation in the community that has resulted in some nicknames for the area. Instead of calling it the Ranchos, some people refer to it as Ranchghanistan.

Personally, I think it's a matter of perspective. When the County is perceived as relatively crime free or a low crime rural area, people view any part of the county that deviates from that perspective as bad no matter how small that deviation may be.

Ranchghaistan in no way compares to the problems found in some areas in Carson City. However, it does have some gang activity that's not readily or easily apparent in other areas of the valley (Douglas County).

Old 08-29-2010, 08:15 PM

514 posts, read 521,025 times
Quote:
Here's a recent article from the local newspaper talking aobut the state of some schools in Douglas County: Five Douglas schools on watch list | RecordCourier.com
All schools subject to the constraints of NCLB will eventually be on the watchlist, no matter how good. That is the way the law is constructed, ignore lists. Talk to the administrator and a teacher or two, but never forget that the school has the child for 1/4 of the day, you have the child for 3/4 of the day, whether your child is successful or not, is up to you, not the school.

And again, overwhelmingly, gang members attack other gang members, not the general population.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:07 AM

Again, I want to thank each of you for your comments. You are helping me relax a bit more about the move. I know there are more good than bad people in Carson City and Reno, and hope I haven't offended anyone with any of my comments. It is just nerve racking moving from an area I have lived for over half my life to an area I have visited during annual vacations.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:01 AM

197 posts, read 460,493 times
maybe you should rent in Carson for a few months and give CC a try before you buy xo

Old 09-30-2010, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 8,251 times
Hi All,

This is my first post on the forum. My husband and I currently live and work in Northern California and are planning on buying a property in Minden or Gardnerville or Dayton neighbourhood. We will probably spend our weekends there for a while but we eventually plan on retiring there.

I understand that all three towns are nice and quiet but
1. If you had to chose which one will you chose and why?
2. What are some of the better streets/neighbourhoods in each town?
3. Which place is more suited for growing fruits/vegetables/herbs?

One of reasons we are considering buying there is that we can get a bigger piece of land for relatively less money. I am a discretionary gardner. I love to grow things.

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 10,263 times
I am from Portland, Oregon and have long searched for an area to relocate to that has better weather. It rains here for 9 months a year, granted it IS beautiful but way to gray and drizzly depressing. Portland is WAY to big and I DETEST the traffic jams and general traffic related issues with a purple passion. I have read dozens of threads on this site concerning the Reno, sparks, cold springs, fernley, fallon, gardnerville, minden, dayton and carson city areas and even though they have been helpful I was hoping I could get some more input on which suburb areas/ towns/cities out of the above mentioned ones might be the closest fit to my little families needs (just me and my 14 year old son). I am an Licensed Practical Nurse (as of next month, yay me) and I dont want to live near areas that are highest in drug/gang activity, as my 14 year old is already trying on some bad decisions and has a tendancy to gravitate toward the kids that are defiant, sneaky types. I dont mind commuting an average of 30 minutes in any direction and can afford (1000 to 1300ish a month) a house in a neighborhood with wholesome activities available within a bike ride distance or walking distance for my son, like skate parks, boy scout stuff, community pool or community center. And I am hoping for somewhere with movie theaters/bowling alley/skating, lower crime and decent traffic, with the shortest commute possible for areas most likely to need nurses. suggestions please????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or