U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who are you voting for? (Residents only please)
Harry Reid 35 46.67%
Sharon Angle 23 30.67%
Bugs Bunny 5 6.67%
None of the above or not voting 12 16.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2010, 07:53 PM
 
848 posts, read 1,509,831 times
Reputation: 213
I have not voted yet and same with the rest of my family but we'll be there at the polling station tomorrow. We are all off work and we will do our duty to help Senator Harry Reid win this election.

 
Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
788 posts, read 1,550,215 times
Reputation: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The only one with a real suggestion about what to do is Krugman who believes we should pour another Trillion or two into stimulus. He argues that you need to turn the economy around and that once it strongly turns you can pick up the money used.
I want some of what Krugman's smoking. After spending $800B, things got worse and now he wants to spend more? No thanks. Been there - done that. Got the t-shirt and the post card. Sorry, it's time to try a different plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt
What are Angle and the Repubs offering. "We ain't Harry Reid". That is of course true. How many points will it lower the unemployment rate?
For starters, how about stop spending money we don't have? And that includes addressing all entitlements in a meaningful way, not just tinkering around the edges. We must come to the realization that all of us have some bad medicine coming our way if we have any hope to survive as a nation. Burying your head in the sand is not going to make the problem go away.

Second, how about reducing the cost of doing business to encourage growth/hiring instead of making it much more expensive? You think unemployment is bad now, just wait until businesses start to shed employees and/or their benefits to reduce the costs associated with the healthcare law. Oh wait, that's already started since it's passage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The economy is screwed up because of the housing debacle. No one can fix that, it simply has to go back down to what the going rate is for a house within the local market. You can't prop it up, and I haven't seen Angle say she would, or have any plan to do so. Propping it up does nothing except hurt locals/natives anyways, so it's not a solution either.

Angle doesn't have ANY plan, except to be a TEA PARTY anti-everything person.
In addition to what I mentioned above, how about stopping the bailouts of failing companies. GM comes to mind, which was nothing more than a payoff to the UAW. You mentioned that we shouldn't prop up the housing market - I totally agree. But we should let those companies "to big to fail" fail when they cannot compete in the market place without government aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer
If you want LESS JOBS, Angle is your woman. The ONLY thing Angle will do is make sure green technologies don't come to Nevada, as she doesn't believe in solar and wind energy resources or companies coming to the state.
Green jobs? The only type of green jobs Harry is talking about are government funded jobs, the type that goes away when the funding dries up. If there are legitimate green jobs to be had here, the way to get them is to reduce the costs and regulatory burdens associated with creating them, which is what she supports.

I have no idea who is going to win this thing, but I sincerely hope the winner has a big enough margin tomorrow night so as to avoid any long, drawn out recount scenario.
 
Old 11-01-2010, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
In addition to what I mentioned above, how about stopping the bailouts of failing companies. GM comes to mind, which was nothing more than a payoff to the UAW. You mentioned that we shouldn't prop up the housing market - I totally agree. But we should let those companies "to big to fail" fail when they cannot compete in the market place without government aid.
I'm strongly against Wall Street bailouts and the housing market being propped up, but it is solely because what was going on there was just simply wrong on every level.

With the auto industry. Well, first, as a person who has lived in both Japan and Korea for over ten years...these countries over here (Japan/Korea) prop up their auto industries in MAJOR MAJOR ways. Major ways, which is why they are so damn competitive on the world stage.

Additionally, manufacturing SHOULD be protected in the States, especially the AUTO industry. The U.S. is the most auto-centric nation on the planet, bar none. We have the very worse public transportation in the developed world, actually most third world nations have much better public transportation. Why? Because we pump gazillions of dollars into our massive Public Highway System and are car-centric.

If we lost our auto manufacturers...that is just one ****load of a lot of money that us Americans will be giving over to Japan, Korea, China, etc. to buy THEIR cars, and continue to maintain OUR roads and massive highway car-centric system.

It would basically be the final NAIL in the COFFIN of America - which already has a ton of nails through and through.

In short, don't give up on the final backbone of what once made America great.

As to the housing and wall street debacle, there was nothing good there. It had to implode, and must deflate.
 
Old 11-01-2010, 09:55 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 33,413,204 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
I want some of what Krugman's smoking. After spending $800B, things got worse and now he wants to spend more? No thanks. Been there - done that. Got the t-shirt and the post card. Sorry, it's time to try a different plan.
Krugman answers - It made it better. Would have been two points higher but for the 800 Billion. Should have been 2 Trillion or more which would have actually got the economy growing.


Quote:
For starters, how about stop spending money we don't have? And that includes addressing all entitlements in a meaningful way, not just tinkering around the edges. We must come to the realization that all of us have some bad medicine coming our way if we have any hope to survive as a nation. Burying your head in the sand is not going to make the problem go away.
Sharron is going to do this? How? she is the last Repub. Gets to decide when she wants to go to bed...that is it.

Any significant attempt to cut spending, particularly in the discretionary category, is going to cause a loss of jobs...which will in turn make the economy worse. You have zilch opportunities to cut at this point. Cuts will simply drive the economy further into deflation and make the recession worse.

Quote:
Second, how about reducing the cost of doing business to encourage growth/hiring instead of making it much more expensive? You think unemployment is bad now, just wait until businesses start to shed employees and/or their benefits to reduce the costs associated with the healthcare law. Oh wait, that's already started since it's passage.
How? Cut taxes? Off hand the only one that would make any sense would be the employers contribution to SS. And that of course throws the SS system deeper into the negative. That what you want? Give credits for hiring? Is that not bailing out businesses unable to compete on their own? As to healthcare employers have been dumping employee benefits for years now...and it has not gotten any worse recently. Sure it turns out that Boeing wants to move more of its Cadillac plan to the employees...but the first reason for that is competitiveness.


Quote:
In addition to what I mentioned above, how about stopping the bailouts of failing companies. GM comes to mind, which was nothing more than a payoff to the UAW. You mentioned that we shouldn't prop up the housing market - I totally agree. But we should let those companies "to big to fail" fail when they cannot compete in the market place without government aid.
Sure they can stop the bailouts. And they could let us proceed into a deep depression. Yeah they could have cut GM loose...and vastly increased the profits at Toyota, Accura and Kia. You think that would help American workers?

The bailouts were not driven by competitiveness. The entire market was shutting down. There were going to be no operating banks. No way to cash a check or make a payroll. No where to get cash. A meltdown. You think Bush should have allowed that to happen?

Quote:
Green jobs? The only type of green jobs Harry is talking about are government funded jobs, the type that goes away when the funding dries up. If there are legitimate green jobs to be had here, the way to get them is to reduce the costs and regulatory burdens associated with creating them, which is what she supports.
At the moment the green industry is almost totally dominated by Europe and Asia. We don't even have players. The reason for that is that those governments have provided the neccessary environ to grow their green industry. And in the not to distant future when the green stuff actually begins to pay where will we be?

Any change to regulation drives up costs. That is given. Whether you make it more or less it drives up cost. That is because you create a need to relearn and rebuild your systems. Stable regulation is much more important than reducing regulation. And much regulation is a good thing. It should for instance not be possible to ship airplanes that crash.

It is easy to reduce cost. Just provide credits to those who do what you want. But that is a form of a bail out is it not? Exactly what costs do you want to remove? Try and ennumerate a few.

Quote:
I have no idea who is going to win this thing, but I sincerely hope the winner has a big enough margin tomorrow night so as to avoid any long, drawn out recount scenario.
From the look of things no winners tomorrow. We are all going to lose. Best case we have two years of locked down government where nothing can change.

The worst thing is an Angle victory if it does lead to the use of Nevada as the nation garbage dump. And it well may. We now have to count on Obama to protect NV after we turned on him. He may. But I can see little reason why he would feel very helpful to us. Heller speculates we may lose Yucca as a result of an Angle victory.
 
Old 11-01-2010, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The worst thing is an Angle victory if it does lead to the use of Nevada as the nation garbage dump. And it well may. We now have to count on Obama to protect NV after we turned on him. He may. But I can see little reason why he would feel very helpful to us. Heller speculates we may lose Yucca as a result of an Angle victory.
I wouldn't count on Obama, he is from a major nuclear energy producing state - Illinois. He's long been a promoter of nuclear energy.

So without Reid, Nevada simply would become the nuclear dumping ground of the States.
 
Old 11-01-2010, 10:08 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 3,427,357 times
Reputation: 2350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I wouldn't count on Obama, he is from a major nuclear energy producing state - Illinois. He's long been a promoter of nuclear energy.

So without Reid, Nevada simply would become the nuclear dumping ground of the States.
Exactly what has Reid accomplished with regard to stopping nuclear dumping here?

He was a Senator when Yucca Mountain was proposed and created. He's been a Senator during it's development.

As I said in another thread Obama tossed Reid a political bone by claiming he was putting an end to Yucca Mountain. As it turns out that political bone wasn't Obama's to toss as he needs Congressional approval (which he failed to obtain) to drive a stake through the heart of Yucca Mountain.

Reid has accomplished nothing with regard to stopping Yucca Mountain despite his lengthy term in government. I can see no believable evidence that reelecting him will put an end to the project.
 
Old 11-01-2010, 10:24 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 33,413,204 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Exactly what has Reid accomplished with regard to stopping nuclear dumping here?

He was a Senator when Yucca Mountain was proposed and created. He's been a Senator during it's development.

As I said in another thread Obama tossed Reid a political bone by claiming he was putting an end to Yucca Mountain. As it turns out that political bone wasn't Obama's to toss as he needs Congressional approval (which he failed to obtain) to drive a stake through the heart of Yucca Mountain.

Reid has accomplished nothing with regard to stopping Yucca Mountain despite his lengthy term in government. I can see no believable evidence that reelecting him will put an end to the project.
You are being naive. It has basically shut down. There is no one left working on it. The formalities to bury it are well under way. There is no way with Reid in place that it is going to get funded one thin dime worth. As the lead democrat Reid could keep it dead and get it buried over the next 6 years.

Angle not only can't she does not want to
 
Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 3,427,357 times
Reputation: 2350
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You are being naive. It has basically shut down. There is no one left working on it. The formalities to bury it are well under way. There is no way with Reid in place that it is going to get funded one thin dime worth. As the lead democrat Reid could keep it dead and get it buried over the next 6 years.

Angle not only can't she does not want to
I think the naievete comes with believing Reid's actual interests and concerns have to do with anything other then the betterment of Reid and the continued unchecked growth of federal government.

In point of fact Angle has publicly stated she is not in favor of continuing Yucca Mountain; Harry Reid - Sharron Angle debate: Nuclear power and Yucca Mountain | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.
 
Old 11-01-2010, 10:56 PM
 
848 posts, read 1,509,831 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post


Green jobs? The only type of green jobs Harry is talking about are government funded jobs, the type that goes away when the funding dries up. If there are legitimate green jobs to be had here, the way to get them is to reduce the costs and regulatory burdens associated with creating them, which is what she supports.

I have no idea who is going to win this thing, but I sincerely hope the winner has a big enough margin tomorrow night so as to avoid any long, drawn out recount scenario.
The State need the clout of Harry Reid to pursue and improve renewable energy sources in the State. Nevada need to survive the 21st century not relying just solely on gaming/tourism and the mining industry. Seed money from the goverment for investments in the renewable energy sources can help renew interest from investors here and abroad. Countries like the Netherlands, England, China, Germany and France to name a few are investing heavily on wind and solar energy sources. I would say cut the Defense budget in half and invest it heavily on renewable energy sources. The United States need to stop being the military police for the rest of the world.
 
Old 11-01-2010, 11:02 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 33,413,204 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I think the naievete comes with believing Reid's actual interests and concerns have to do with anything other then the betterment of Reid and the continued unchecked growth of federal government.
Ahh stop - that is all Right wing talking points. Reid is the chief Democrat operator but I think he is more a constrainer that an extender of the reach of big government.

I also see very little indication that Reid has done much if anything for the benefit of harry Reid. His net worth is down if anything over his term. And the 1.1 million dollar deal is pure garbage. That was simply Mr. Brown doing what he does well.

Quote:
In point of fact Angle has publicly stated she is not in favor of continuing Yucca Mountain; Harry Reid - Sharron Angle debate: Nuclear power and Yucca Mountain | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I had not picked that up. Earlier her view was different. From a Face to Face...


"Angle finally said she wants the Yucca Mountain project to move forward because it would have potential to turn “lemonade out of some lemons” and benefit the state. "

I am under the impression though that she generally wanted it to be a reprocessing facility...rather than a straight dump.

I believe however that is technically improbable at least any time soon.

I would also note she will have no control over Yucca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top