Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:10 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,046 times

Advertisements

I live in NYS and believe me taxes are killing the state and has for years. The more they get the more they waste. If you want to keep NV don't put in a state income tax. Many people are looking to retire to NV in the next 10 years. These are people who have incomes and want to spend it. NV has the weather,housing and entertainment in place most of all no State income tax. That is why I am moving there to retire. How many people do you know who are going to retire in NYS???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 07:40 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
How many people do you know who are going to retire in NYS???
I guess you can count me in.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1985 View Post
On one hand it could give the state extra funding for public needs. On the other hand it may slow population growth or even business growth.

I'm not too keen in politics, but maybe the ideal medium is to introduce a relatively innocent looking income tax (.5% or 1%) to get it approved without resistance. Then, once people are used to filing 2 returns, increase the tax to a healthy level
It is not that kind of issue. An attempt to implement an income tax will fail in all Nevada precincts. Conservative, Liberal, Independent. It loses in all precincts.

Any politician who advocates such a course will be retired in the next election.

There are no exceptions.

This is not an endorsement that such behavior is sensible or rational...but it is a fact of life.

Nevada will double or triple the gaming tax before the income tax. Slap a large tax on all businesses. Increase all known fees..

But they will not allow an income tax.

It is a matter of faith..not good sense.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:02 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Just curious, LVD...have you ever been to NY? (not arguing the financial mess here...just wondering if you've ever been)
No, but my mom was born and lived in the Bronx in the early part of her life. I still have family there so I rely on they have told me.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:36 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
The Bronx is known for its desolate areas, but nice areas can still be found there. The Bronx was once known (way back) as "The Jewel of NYC". Long Island is very different than Upstate NY and NYC. Within Upstate NY, there are a handful of regions, some known for their beauty, especially The Finger Lakes, The Central Leatherstocking and The Catkill regions. The Long Island beaches (4 dead bodies recently found not withstanding) are reknown. Financially, the state is a mess, but I don't think as bad as CA.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:21 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Yes, Nevada is very interesting about the tax structure, many people and businesses come there for that.And the new republican governor won't accept that anyway.
Nevada will boom again, be patient (not before 2012..)

Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 PM

48 posts, read 117,545 times
I think the mining industry should be taxed first before anybody considers an income tax. The mining industry takes billions of dollars of ores from our mountains and we hardly see a dime from it. With a two billion dollar deficit, a tax on that industry would seem fair.

If that tax didn't work out too well, then well, perhaps an income tax. It'd be nice to actually see Nevada be a state renowned for its education instead of, what, #49/50? I reckon the good citizens of this state would make sure their money was well spent too - we're stingy, and rightfully so.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:07 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Nevada will mandate a state income tax some time in the next 2 years (you heard it here first!).
The politicians are all money-grubbing shills for the big money interests (gaming, mining, etc.).
John "Q" will pay (until it hurts).
I can see raising the heck out of calculations for property taxes and maybe coming up at first with a 1% state income tax as being possible.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:08 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazydriver View Post
I think the mining industry should be taxed first before anybody considers an income tax. The mining industry takes billions of dollars of ores from our mountains and we hardly see a dime from it. With a two billion dollar deficit, a tax on that industry would seem fair.

If that tax didn't work out too well, then well, perhaps an income tax. It'd be nice to actually see Nevada be a state renowned for its education instead of, what, #49/50? I reckon the good citizens of this state would make sure their money was well spent too - we're stingy, and rightfully so.
I'm sure there were fees and taxes enough taken out of the mining industry for the right to drill. There is no free ride in business.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:43 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
The politicians are all money-grubbing shills for the big money interests (gaming, mining, etc.).
You left out the public employee unions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of: