Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 PM

4 posts, read 34,409 times

Advertisements

I am a 40 year old woman who currently lives in Iowa and hates the snow and cold. I have visited Laughlin and Bullhead City several times, even in the hottest months. I used to live in Florida for 5 years so I know heat (but of course it was different with the humidity). I have worked for a insurance company as a team advisor for 10 years. It would be myself and small dog. I love the water and the beauty of the area. Where would you recommend to live in that area? How are the prices? What sites do you recommend to find a job or place to live? What kinds of activites is there to do? Any other advice you have? I will probably be moving in next 6 mths. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 03:30 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,041,958 times
Do you have a preference pertaining to being a Nevada resident or an Arizona resident? That may be one of the first considerations.

And, as you probably already know, the Laughlin/Bullhead City area is frequently one of the hottest places in the nation in the summer (shares that distinction with Death Valley). It sounds as if you're okay with that.

Personally, I prefer being a Nevada resident and would like living in Laughlin much more than on the Bullhead side or especially Kingman. But that's just me.

Do you have good prospects for a job?

Old 01-31-2011, 05:06 PM

I do like the tax advantage of NV, but not like I am some huge money maker. I don't mind the hot, have been there in August. I check the chamber of commerces for job leads. Do you have any other places where I should look to find jobs? What about any areas/apts that you recommend? I look on Craigslist for apts or roommates also, but am concerned there might be bad areas I should stay away from. Thanks for your response! I appreciate it!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 PM

3 posts, read 12,717 times
I live in Lake Havasu City, which is an hour from Kingman, and an hour and 1/2 from Bullhead City. I prefer this city compared to the others. The rent is inexpensive in all cities, but very hard to find a good paying job. Average job pays 9.00hr...Management positions pay 25,000.00 and you work many hours so it equals less than 9.00 hr...If your are a nurse the hospital starting pay is 22.00 hr..CNA's and Medical Asst make about 10.00 hr...I am moving in the next year due to the low wages. We will be renting out our house since it lost about 100,000.00 in equity and we wont be able to sell. I don't want to discourage you from moving here. We loved it for the 5 years we were here, but the economy has just gotten so bad we need a bigger city with better paying jobs. Also not much to do unless you have a boat...We usually go to Vegas or Phoenix on weekends. If you have any questions let me know..

Old 02-04-2011, 09:54 AM

7 posts, read 22,363 times
My wife's parents live in Laughlin and love it so much they are actually moving the whole family up there. We leave Saturday and while been to Vegas several times I never been to Laughlin.

It's a little scary because I sold a very successful nightclub here, but they been pushing us for over a year to move so we decided to go for it.

There are some incredible housing deals in the area. 3 bedroom houses here run over 1200 a month we got a 4 bedroom house with 2 living rooms and brand new appliances in Laughlin for 900. The Laughlin times newspaper has a lot of jobs in it especially medical field.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:56 AM

Thank you all for your replies! Good luck to you as well. I have only been around Laughlin, Vegas and Bullhead City. Would there be a better city to move around the Arizona/Nevada area? Is there a city with better paying jobs or more jobs or is everyone in the same boat? I hate to leave my friens and family but I go out there 3+ times a year and I love it there and I hate winter and snow!

Old 02-06-2011, 04:48 PM

What bigger cities do you recommend?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 14,157 times
I like all the things I am hearing about Laughlin. My family and I are used to the heat as we live in the Philippines, but are looking to move back to the states within a year. A friend of mine used to live in the Laughlin/Bullhead area, and he really liked it. I grew up in Minnesota/Iowa and i dont want to have anything to do with winter and freezing cold again. I am a retired disabled vet and i also see Laughlin is building a VA Clinic, which perfectly suits my needs. We have two children, 13 and 8, so they will be going to school there. And I like the size - small town usa, just like i grew up in back in the midwest.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:01 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,096,626 times
I wouldnt bet on a VA clinic in Laughlin....they STILL havent opened the one in Las Vegas....

You do know, there is a tremendous difference between the heat in the Phillipines and the heat in Laughlin

Old 12-20-2011, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 14,157 times
Ya, we know it is a dry heat compared to what we have in the Philippines. I do hope the va clinic opens though, otherwise will have to do some traveling for va appointments. my email is ronaldchesley@y7mail.com if you care to drop me a line about the area there and other info that may be of interest. thank you. ron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada