U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM

183 posts, read 543,018 times

Advertisements

Thank you Buzz, that was very helpful! I am going to try to see both DVNP and Valley of Fire on this trip. I will be putting together a weebly (miniwebsite) with lots of pics for my students back here in MI. These students are special needs, and they probably will never have the chance to see your part of the country. Getting excited!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 04:35 PM

12,686 posts, read 31,839,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoshoewalkr View Post
Thank you Buzz, that was very helpful! I am going to try to see both DVNP and Valley of Fire on this trip. I will be putting together a weebly (miniwebsite) with lots of pics for my students back here in MI. These students are special needs, and they probably will never have the chance to see your part of the country. Getting excited!!
How cool. Can you post the link for us to see too?

BTW: If you really want to show your kids something, take a trip to the Grand Canyon while you're here.

BTWA: you might need your snowshoes if you go for a hike on the sand dunes in DVNP.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:16 PM

Snowshoes!!!! Well, I don't think I can get them in my carry-on And I think by April I would like a break from snowshoeing! I went to the Grand Canyon in 2007; brought back lots of photos. Now, THAT's a special place in America.
I promise to post a link to my weebly after my trip!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:19 AM

735 posts, read 1,446,363 times
Whatever route you take, try to visit Rhyolite. It's the coolest ghost town you will ever see. It is just a few miles south of Beatty, NV. and not too far from the entrance to Death Valley near Scotty's Castle.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:24 AM

735 posts, read 1,446,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoshoewalkr View Post
Thank you for the suggestions, especially about making sure the gas tank is full! I am still a little confused about the best route to take out of the park to get to the Bullhead City/Needles area. On the map, it kind of looks like you "can't get there from here." Maybe CA 127/I-15/NV 164/NV 95??
You could also go down 127 and keep going that way when you pass the 15 at Baker. It turns into Kelbaker Rd and goes through the Mojave National Preserve. When you get to the other end of the preserve, you can take the 40 east the rest of the way to Needles.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:29 PM

Thanks, ProgShred! Is there a gas station at Baker? That stretch through the Preserve looks extremely isolated, and I wouldn't want to run out of gas in there!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:43 AM

Um, never mind about the gas station question. Google Earth is now my friend.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:09 PM

I am back from my trip to the Southwest! I had an amazing time!!!! Thanks so much to all of you who offered advice! I was able to see both DVNP and Valley of Fire State Park. As soon as I can sort through my pics and assemble my weebly, I will post a link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or