U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 08:57 AM

458 posts, read 1,490,789 times

Advertisements

Help me settle an argument.

In Nevada, is it illegal for a 5 year old to ride in the front seat (with booster seat) if there are no more seats available in the back, and the back seat is full of younger children?

We agree that it is not advisable, and certainly not optimal. Children under 13 should absolutely be in the back whenever possible. But when not possible, I'd like to know the legality of putting the oldest child in the front.

Anyone familiar with Nevada law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 AM

1,824 posts, read 4,549,727 times
This site claims Nevada law doesn't define a preference for the rear seat:

Nevada 5 years and younger and 60 pounds or less not permissible. law states no preference for rear seat.

Another site defines the DMV's recommendations:
The state of Nevada recommends that any child 12 years old and under be properly restrained in the back seat of the automobile. A child's knees should bend properly at the edge of the seat and the child should sit up straight against the back seat. The lap belt should be positioned low on the hips and fit snug. The shoulder strap should not lie on the neck and should be snug against the chest between the neck and shoulder.

Despite the law, there is always a case to be made for negligent homicide. Perhaps even more so when the act that may kill a child is premeditated and publically posted on forums where the primary concern was whether the dangerous act could result in a ticket while ignoring the welfare of the child.

When trying to murder innocent children it may be more economically feasible to shake them violently, smother them, or throw them down a flight of stairs. Death by airbag decapitation or head trauma does typically require that the vehicle be involved in a front end collision.

I guess my point is this, what could possibly warrant putting a child under 12 in a front seat if you know it will endanger their life? I think the answer is nothing, but the fact that it was asked hints that someone thinks otherwise.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:32 AM

458 posts, read 1,490,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post

When trying to murder innocent children it may be more economically feasible to shake them violently, smother them, or throw them down a flight of stairs. Death by airbag decapitation or head trauma does typically require that the vehicle be involved in a front end collision.

I guess my point is this, what could possibly warrant putting a child under 12 in a front seat if you know it will endanger their life? I think the answer is nothing, but the fact that it was asked hints that someone thinks otherwise.
Come now, no one has done it, nor was it even said they intended to. Merely a disagreement between playgroup parents to a hypothetical situation. Calm yourself, no one is going to murder any children.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:36 AM

1,824 posts, read 4,549,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
Come now, no one has done it, nor was it even said they intended to. Merely a disagreement between playgroup parents to a hypothetical situation. Calm yourself, no one is going to murder any children.
I'm calm, but I do worry that the question has to be asked!

You get me wrong though, I'm an automotive enthusiast and my primary concern was that parents were going to be crashing cars unnecessarily.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 AM

15,371 posts, read 34,644,612 times
all of that being said.....I only remember riding in the back seat once in my life and that was way back when they had just out Engines on buggies

Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 AM

1,009 posts, read 3,634,487 times
Per Nevada DMV:
"Air bags should be turned off only for those with
certain medical conditions, those who cannot sit 10
away and when transporting young children in the
front seat.
Never place a rear-facing child
safety seat in front of an air bag!
Children under 12 should ride in
the back."

NRS 484B.157

Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,843,848 times
now if you go back to the ole days [before the 90's} there were no law required kid seats and they could sit on someone lap up front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada