U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 10:15 AM

1,009 posts, read 3,625,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackarachnia View Post
sounds like NV is looking to make unemployment numbers look more promising
And discourage "game the system" abuse.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 05:45 PM

43 posts, read 61,867 times
I received a letter from the Board of Appeals on Oct 5th that they will call me to hear why I am appealing on OCt 9th. They were 25min late calling me. So I was asked why I was asking for the review. I explained myself clearly. I was expecting questions. They stated the temp agency wasn't present, one person on the phone asked someone else on the phone if they had any questions, and the call was over in like 2 minutes!

Today I received a letter from them telling me they reviewed the recording and they agree with the referee. Which I was expecting since all my research says they always agree with the referee (At least I couldn't find any info on when someone won at this point).

What's frustrating to me is that's NV Unemployment but this issue that is being disputed is in Ohio and things are soooooo different here!

Old 10-18-2013, 10:29 AM

17,628 posts, read 35,949,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackarachnia View Post
I received a letter from the Board of Appeals on Oct 5th that they will call me to hear why I am appealing on OCt 9th. They were 25min late calling me. So I was asked why I was asking for the review. I explained myself clearly. I was expecting questions. They stated the temp agency wasn't present, one person on the phone asked someone else on the phone if they had any questions, and the call was over in like 2 minutes!

Today I received a letter from them telling me they reviewed the recording and they agree with the referee. Which I was expecting since all my research says they always agree with the referee (At least I couldn't find any info on when someone won at this point).

What's frustrating to me is that's NV Unemployment but this issue that is being disputed is in Ohio and things are soooooo different here!
The appeal is limited to what's in the record already. That's why the initial hearing is so important in terms of presenting evidence, including testimony from witnesses, if any, and documentary evidence. It's unusual to even have a phone conference like that at the appeal level.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:41 AM

The Review Board for NV Unemployment had no hesitations about agreeing with the referee.

Since I now live in Ohio, I spoke with Ohio Unemployment, but since I had an unemployment claim with NV within the last 18 months, I have to continue to file with NV in regards to my recent lay off.

I also inquired their input about my situation with the review Board, and Ohio Unemployment would had sided with me based on the "evidence."

Review Board granted me to file with district court by Nov 4th in the county where the job was performed. Which I did for $320 on Nov 1st -all on my own. I know I can represent myself by law. And any lawyer I had reached out to, they were baffled and kept telling me it has to be done in Vegas (pass the buck I say!). It's $2,800 at stake, yes I am going to fight. NV is being nonsensical!!!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 PM

440 posts, read 876,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
And discourage "game the system" abuse.
It's just about impossible to "game the system." After all, it is the EMPLOYER who decides to lay a person off. If you don't qualify for UI, you don't qualify.

It's just a load of right-wing b.s. that says laid off people who qualify for UI are "gaming" the system.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:28 PM

In case anyone was curious where my issue had gone:

A legal representative from DETR contacted me, admitting that the letter they sent me about I can file in court in the county where the "job" was held, was not entirely correct. They apologised, said they will waive the filing cut off time. NV Unemployment legal issues have to be dealt with in NV only. I was out the $320 court filing fee....

NV, there would had been no filing fee. Plus, there is a form (Motion to Proceed in Forma Pauperis)that could had been submitted to ask the judge to waive all future filing fees due to one's financial income. This DETR representative advised it would be just forms that needed to be filed. Once filed, it could be anywhere from 6 months to a year before we stand before a judge. Still living in Ohio, I had mailed all documents to my ex-boyfriend to file....and the court wanted way more than the documents that DETR told me to. There were like 10 things on the list needed to file, including a summons that would have to be submitted to the sherif's office so the parties could be served (which had a service fee; the Motion to Proceed in Forma Pauperis would have to be submitted to a judge first and then wait for approval, so more time will pass before the summons could be submitted).

Currently collecting unemployment, I inquired "What if I won in the end but I have exhausted my unemployment funds by then? Where would that money be awarded from?" After two weeks of research, DETR responded with nowhere, because you already used the very funds that you would had been awarded."

So I saw no reason to carry on. I hope this information helps someone else.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,082 times
Did any of you guys that didn't get your UE benifits receive your card in the mail. I was Injured at work and my doctor prescribed me pain killers but according to Nevada laws I can't operate a vehicle on these meds. There are other jobs my doctor cleared me to do so I'm waiting for my UE to help with the process of changing careers.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:14 AM

12,686 posts, read 31,794,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeej View Post
Did any of you guys that didn't get your UE benifits receive your card in the mail. I was Injured at work and my doctor prescribed me pain killers but according to Nevada laws I can't operate a vehicle on these meds. There are other jobs my doctor cleared me to do so I'm waiting for my UE to help with the process of changing careers.
UI = Unemployment INSURANCE.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,082 times
UI not UE

Old 10-12-2015, 07:47 PM

17,628 posts, read 35,949,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeej View Post
The unemployment insurance program is not designed to help you change careers. You have to be "available for work" to collect UI, so you have to have private or public transportation, and you can't have medical restrictions that take you completely off work. If your doctor says you are permanently unable to go back to the work you were doing when you were hurt, what you are looking for is vocational rehabilitation to get you into a different line of work through retraining, not the unemployment insurance program. Unless, of course, you are already qualified to do some or all of the other jobs your doctor says you can do. If so, get out there and apply for them, and find some other form of transportation so you won't be disqualified from UI while you are looking for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada