U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 03:10 PM

76 posts, read 217,214 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a road trip. Are there any interesting things to see and do along I-80 between Reno and Salt Lake City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 04:01 PM

3,679 posts, read 13,130,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTaMove View Post
I'm planning a road trip. Are there any interesting things to see and do along I-80 between Reno and Salt Lake City?
Not really! It's a long drive between Reno and SLC. I enjoy the drive for the open and empty scenery - it's really quiet out there, but there's not many attractions along the way. Pull off I-80 at the towns (Lovelock, Winnemucca, Battle Mountain, Elko and Wendover) and stretch your legs. I really like the small towns out there - very friendly.

Nevada Division of State Parks - Rye Patch State Recreation Area between Lovelock and Winnemucca (can be seen from I-80 and their probably won't be anybody there. Thunder Mountain Monument, a monument to the Native American People. near Imlay (can be seen from I-80)
Historic Wendover Airfield Foundation - Wendover, Utah a leftover WWII air base

Near Elko is the town of Lamoille (about 15 miles east) at the base of the Ruby Mtns. This is one of the few "green" areas you will see in northern Nevada. It's an interesting little village Lamoille, Nevada: A Visitor's Guide to amenities, attractions and history from The Complete Nevada Traveler

Enjoy the Bonneville salt flats!

Old 06-06-2011, 11:18 PM

14,196 posts, read 23,882,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTaMove View Post
In Elko, you also have the Northeast Nevada Museum. It is a small museum that has some interesting history exhibits and a small collection of western art. The real attraction is the Wanamaker collection of wild animals. There are 300 animals in the collection and you can really get close on a lot of them. You will not confuse it with the Smithsonian BUT for a small town, it is really great.

Northeastern Nevada Museum

Down the road is the Western Folklife Center, home of the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering. It is another small, but pretty good museum. You can run through the museum in ten minutes, However, they have some phenomenal audio-visuals throughout the museum.

The Western Folklife Center

Across the street is J.M. Capriola Co., maker of custom saddles. It is a very interesting Western store where you can watch the masters at work.

Welcome to J.M. Capriola Co. Elko Nevada

I have heard Lemoille Canyon referred to as the Yosemite of Nevada. That may be hyperbole but the drive up to the trail head is well worth the drive. It is the first place where I ever saw a herd of bighorn sheet. If you get to the parking lot up top, it is a 1.5 mile moderate hike to get to the alpine lakes.

A Hike In Lamoille Canyon - Lamoille Lake

Now if you want to get "off the beaten track" during the summer months, head on over to the Ruby Lake National Wildlife Reserve, one of the most remote reserves in the lower 48. It is a great place to see a huge variety of birds and see a lot of spring fed marshes.

The drive to Ruby Meadows over Harrison Pass is an interesting but rough drive. INQUIRE OF LOCAL ROAD CONDTIONS.

Ruby Lake National Wildlife Refuge, a Nevada National Park

I would recommend the three major Basque restaurants in Elko - the Star Hotel, Biltoki, and the Nevada Dinner House.

One warning. Don't expect much in Wendover. The hotels and the food is a lot better in Elko.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:24 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,835,642 times
brothels

Old 06-09-2011, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 30,923 times
also, i love the smell of sweet scent of fresh air, not to get sand in your nose, but the emptiness of the road and just the sheer lonesome midnight drive. so enjoy the drive, nothing much to go and do out your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada