Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 02:28 PM

98 posts, read 349,940 times

Advertisements

We bought a used car here and the 30 day permit runs out on 7/7. We do not want to register here because we are moving to Colorado on 7/28. Dumb, I know but the move came up AFTER we purchased the vehicle. We really dont want to register it twice in less than 30 days. When we first got the vehicle we had a 45 day "in transit" permit from the dealer in Montana for moving it from state to state, then we got the 30 day because of an issue with the title, which had to be resolved with the dealer by mail. Does Nevada have an "in transit" type of permit so that we can legally move it out of state? The DMV website says there are "many types" of moving permits but is not specific except on new car purchases. Has anyone had any experiences on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 02:16 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Is there some reason you can't call the DMV and ask them? They don't bite. Asking strangers on a forum will only get you a lot of opinions and misinformation, but the DMV folks are very friendly and helpful.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 AM

126 posts, read 269,153 times
I had a kinda-similiar situation. Moved from overseas and my car was shipped to san diego (nearest port of entry), then brought it here to do some maintenance before driving to IL to give to my son. DMV gave me a 14-day move permit (think it was like $14) to drive it there so I wouldnt have to get it registered twice. Not sure if your case will be different since you bought it here, but always good to ask. The 14 days starts the day you get the permit and you need to have the car registered by the time it expires, so dont get it too early.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 AM

Thank you for the response mjjudd. I planned on calling the DMV on Monday, I tried yesterday and they only answer questions M-F 8-5. We were trying to figure out some of the financial aspects of moving yesterday. So I thought I would ask on here if anyone had ever dealt with a similar situation.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:42 PM

FYI, I did contact DMV and you can get a 15 day "drive away" permit for $8.25. We'll be getting it a little closer to our departure date (7/29). So for now we've parked the vehicle and are happy to not have to register it twice.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:07 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryville View Post
FYI, I did contact DMV and you can get a 15 day "drive away" permit for $8.25. We'll be getting it a little closer to our departure date (7/29). So for now we've parked the vehicle and are happy to not have to register it twice.
REMEMBER, with DRIVEAWAY permits, I BELIEVE you have to stop and any open "PORT of ENTRY" along the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada