U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:12 PM

57 posts, read 126,777 times

Advertisements

I am taking a country wide road trip and after leaving Moab, I plan on driving 50 W through Nevada.

After realizing exactly where Moab was in relation to the Bonneville Salt Flats, I wanted to go check it out and possibly drive on them.

Due to other deadlines it doesnt seem that I will be able to go past Salt lake city so my question is...

along US 50, is there anything that resembles the Salt Flats of any sort? Any local input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 04:52 PM

3,679 posts, read 13,130,785 times
I have seen a few dry lake beds along Hwy 50 but they weren't very big. You don't want to drive out there if the lake beds are wet as you will get stuck. Also, the salt is not good for your car.

Check out Sand Mountain which is off Hwy 50 east of Fallon. Sand Mountain Sand Dune Guide Don't get stuck in the sand either. It's a long way for help!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 PM

ok cool....I guess some sand will do!

Being from the North East, it will be a different experience either way! Dont worry, I wont drive too far into the sand.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 AM

12,686 posts, read 31,814,570 times
Do you know what we call north-easterners that venture off the highways out here?

"Dead north-easterners."

If you get stuck there won't be anyone to rescue you. And if you're talking about doing this in the summer, most people trying to walk out of the desert make it about eight miles. Headlines, for some reason, always say, "Bodies found eight miles from car." I don't know what makes that the magic number, but it's true. Traveling alone in the desert, in summer, is suicide if you aren't up on desert survival.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:01 AM

250 posts, read 349,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbittaudia4 View Post
ok cool....I guess some sand will do!

Being from the North East, it will be a different experience either way! Dont worry, I wont drive too far into the sand.

You will see plenty of sand on Hwy 50.. trust me. It's desert the WHOLE way except a few spots through Austin,Nv which is up there in elevation. The rest is pure high desert. I passed by quite a few low spots with some dry lake beds in the area. If you use google maps you can easily see those areas. There are also some off-shoots from 50 north or south that will take you to some dry lake beds. Like others were saying.. stay off them with your car .. you could get stuck and there aren't many people if any out that way during the summer times. Very desolate

Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 AM

You may also be breaking some environmental laws. New tracks in the desert will still be there 1,000 years from now. That's why "off-roading" is mostly "dirt-roading" these days. The 4x4 clubs began respecting the environment years ago by educating their members about not breaking the microbiotic crust, and not creating new trails.

Biotic Crust Project: welcome main

Old trails in the desert may also have historical significance as pioneer wagon trails, and may be a violation of the Antiquities Act to spoil them with tire tracks. Just because it's desert, and there seems to be a lot of it, we still need to preserve the wilderness, as well as our heritage.

At Bonneville, it is set up for driving on the flats. It is not always OK to drive on dry lakes. There are critters like brine shrimp that lay eggs in dry lake beds during rare rain storms. When it gets wet, the eggs hatch and out come the shrimp to lay more eggs. Those eggs can lay there for years before they get enough water to hatch. Those shrimp are millions of years old.

If you plan to visit our state, make sure you educate yourself on life in the desert, and don't trash Nevada.

Why Owens Lake Ca. is Red (DesertUSA)

Old 07-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Don't worry, I wasn't planning on "trashing" anything....

Old 07-13-2011, 11:48 AM

3,679 posts, read 13,130,785 times
Check out the Black Rock desert about 100 miles north of Reno. I have driven out on the alkali flats, but once again you can get stuck and it's a long walk to anywhere. Black Rock Desert, Nevada

It can also be a hundred miles between gas stations. Top off the tank when you see a gas station.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbittaudia4 View Post
Don't worry, I wasn't planning on "trashing" anything....
Tire tracks, dude, tire tracks.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Completely aware of what you were inferring, dude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada