U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:20 AM

45 posts, read 72,023 times

Advertisements

Didn't mean to seem rude; I was away for a few days.
I really don't need a range on my property. The thought appeals to me. Something I've enjoyed doing, right outside my door. Just some silly way to take up space. Using someone's land for a range without isn't right for me. Hopefully my lot would be left alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 07:52 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,629,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I assume you're talking about a canyon that is green and has trees (and therefore water) such as the canyon Unionville is in. This is not going to happen. The green places are already taken up and if some land was available, it would be expensive. I think the OP will have settle for the flat land.
Not necessarily, a canyon property would not need green and water, although those places are there, and vary between expensive and not...

A canyon, or hilly areas provide topographic relief. Easier on the eye, a greater chance of some timber, even if just PJ's. and shelter from wind and weather.

It is also very likely that your well will be much shallower (cheaper) with better water

Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 PM

843 posts, read 1,829,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
<snip>

To the OP, why do you need a target range on your own property. You can just go most anywhere out in the middle of the desert and shoot off a gun or rifle.
Im many cases doing that is unsafe, and may be illegal if you cross into the wrong jurisdiction.

Having your own property allows you to build suitable bullet stops, berms and the like rather than assuming there is 'nothing out there' to get hit.

That being said, there are likely many shooting clubs with nice ranges if you can't find a place where having your own range is possible. May be hard to find though, a lot are private and don't really advertise.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Im many cases doing that is unsafe, and may be illegal if you cross into the wrong jurisdiction.
I am guessing you have never been to Nevada.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I am guessing you have never been to Nevada.
You would be guessing wrong, been shooting there many times some at club ranges and other times not. Try shooting near a military installation and see what happens.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:55 AM

You changed your argument. There are over 50 million acres of public land to shoot upon. Enfringing on a congested area (you are familiar with those no shooting signs?) or being near enough to a military installation to upset someone takes some actual effort.

Interestingly there is a military installation in Nevada with a hunting lodge and thousands of acres upon which the top military brass hunt.

Just east of Sparks up until recently there was a canyon full of junk washing machines, sofas, cars, etc. The place was littered with brass from thousands of rounds fired, our public land being recreated on. Given some time I could find a hundred or more canyons just like that where the shooting public shoots.

Club ranges are for city slickers.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
You changed your argument.
...snip..
How exactly did I change my argument? I stated ".. and may be illegal if you cross into the wrong jurisdiction." Shooting near a military installation may be illegal. No change at all, simply providing a specific example.

This was is response to a suggestion:
Quote:
To the OP, why do you need a target range on your own property. You can just go most anywhere out in the middle of the desert and shoot off a gun or rifle.
Suggesting you can 'go most anywhere' certainly needs to be better defined.

And implying that 'club ranges' are for city slickers seems a poor attempt at ad hominem attack. Last club range I shot at in Nevada was 200+ acres a few hours outside Vegas, not exactly city slicker territory.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:04 PM

A "jurisdiction" commonly refers to a town or city. There are few military installations in Nevada, while they may be large in acreage, the possibility of approaching the boundary of one is nearly negligible, while town jurisdictions are more common, a reasonable person is going to assume you meant the relatively common town jurisdictions of which there are about 70 compared to military installations of which there less than ten.

Gun clubs and organized ranges are popular among city slickers, with over 50,000,000 acres of public land in which to fire weapons, I stand by my statement. I cannot imagine what circumstance would lead me to attend some sort of organized gun range, and thousands of rural dwellers undoubtedly have the same opinion.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Gun clubs and organized ranges are popular among city slickers, with over 50,000,000 acres of public land in which to fire weapons, I stand by my statement. I cannot imagine what circumstance would lead me to attend some sort of organized gun range, and thousands of rural dwellers undoubtedly have the same opinion.
You lack imagination or experience. Here are several reasons to shoot at an improved private range:

• Many people prefer to not fire class III weapons in public.
  • Private ranges allow permanent target setups, steel plate targets can be left there, shoot houses can be built, etc.
  • 1000+ meter range, sure you can pick a rock and use a rangefinder however there are many advantages to a pre-measured range of this type.
  • You don't have to deal with unsafe people, generally all clubs will weed the yahoos out quickly.
Those are just off the top of my head. Having a private range (on your own land, club land, whatever) has advantages. If you're a casual plinker, hunter sighting in or the like maybe not so much.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
You lack imagination or experience. Here are several reasons to shoot at an improved private range:

• Many people prefer to not fire class III weapons in public.
  • Private ranges allow permanent target setups, steel plate targets can be left there, shoot houses can be built, etc.
  • 1000+ meter range, sure you can pick a rock and use a rangefinder however there are many advantages to a pre-measured range of this type.
  • You don't have to deal with unsafe people, generally all clubs will weed the yahoos out quickly.
Those are just off the top of my head. Having a private range (on your own land, club land, whatever) has advantages. If you're a casual plinker, hunter sighting in or the like maybe not so much.

Like I said, you are not familiar with Nevada. Everything on your list can be found aside from people on public land. Shooting in a Nevada Canyon is hardly "in public".

You need to load up your truck, get out of town, get away from the masses of people (in Nevada that is more than 5 in any given location).

A gun range is to shooting as a city park is to National Forest.

Oh, we don't use steel plates, cars and road signs work just as well.

We had a range on our place. we did hang steel plates of various on wires from the trees, the handy thing was, when you hit the target it would spin and you could see what you did.

Nevada attracts a class of people who dislike organized operations like gun ranges, or golf courses, out in the state there is room to do most anything, but, tis true, most people are not comfortable with that vast empty space, they want small controlled spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada