U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:25 PM

110 posts, read 257,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uli2000 View Post
The Great Basin Desert, which emcompases most of the state outside Clark and southern Nye Counties is vastly different from the Mojave desert that Las Vegas is located in. In the mountains and the higher elevation valleys, much of precipitation is in the form of snow, but it is still a desert.
Indeed, the desert climate in the cooler months outside Clark county can be extreme, especially in the high desert, where it can be downright dangerous in typically high winds and very cold temperatures, let alone the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 12:39 PM

232 posts, read 430,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uli2000 View Post
The Great Basin Desert, which emcompases most of the state outside Clark and southern Nye Counties is vastly different from the Mojave desert that Las Vegas is located in. In the mountains and the higher elevation valleys, much of precipitation is in the form of snow, but it is still a desert.
Any specific cities/towns?

Old 09-18-2011, 02:18 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,630,911 times
There aren't many towns in the entire state, they lie scattered along I 80 and 50 in the north, The only great difference between the Great Basin Desert and the Mojave climates are that in the north in the winter you may freeze to death before you die of thirst.

There are no temperate zones anywhere in the state, thank gawd.

Here, a factoid. Nevada is about the size of Great Britain and Ireland. Great Britain and Ireland have about 70,000 towns, cities and villages. Nevada has about 70 and that is stretching the definition.

There are only 5 streams in Nevada whose waters reach the ocean. The Bruneau, Jarbidge, Owyhee, Salmon Falls and Meadow Valley Wash

The rest of them run out onto the flats and evaporate.

I count three lakes that are not sinks in the flats, Summit, Blue and Angel (there are one or two more tarns in the Rubies. and of course 1/3 of Tahoe.

My list is not guaranteed, there may be something I missed. But the point is, Nevada ain't like them other places. which is what makes it the finest state in the nation.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,388,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
Are there any towns within an hour 1/2 to two hours outside Vegas that are more east coast climate. I am looking to have a house on a large lot with grass and not worry about watering or it dying. Is this possible in Nevada.

Lulz Still asking silly questions I see.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:05 AM

15,371 posts, read 34,584,913 times
FRISBEE just wont learn.....

Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 PM

232 posts, read 430,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
FRISBEE just wont learn.....
DYNIMAGELV just wont get off the internet.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:25 PM

81 posts, read 211,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlstraQ View Post
Indeed, the desert climate in the cooler months outside Clark county can be extreme, especially in the high desert, where it can be downright dangerous in typically high winds and very cold temperatures, let alone the snow.
Yes, they do get a lot of snow and wind in those higher desert areas!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:27 PM

523 posts, read 446,184 times
Nevada's climate is not the same as that of Las Vegas, its summers are hot but there's barely any humidity. The good thing is you can't beat the climate in the fall, winter and spring.

Reno/Sparks has a high desert climate, the elevation is about 4,000 feet so the summers a little milder than Las Vegas.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,751,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post
Nevada's climate is not the same as that of Las Vegas, its summers are hot but there's barely any humidity. The good thing is you can't beat the climate in the fall, winter and spring.

Reno/Sparks has a high desert climate, the elevation is about 4,000 feet so the summers a little milder than Las Vegas.
OP's subject line has a question (with an obvious answer) about all of Nevada, but wants to stay within 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Vegas. And get a more coastal climate (!!!!!). I thought of Mesquite, near the Arizona border, since it is an agricultural area with a river, but it looks nearly as hot as Vegas. One gains a bit of altitude, and loses a little heat, out towards Caliente and Pioche, but they are beyond OP's circle, and can still get hot in the summer and downright cold (with snow) in the winter. Nice places to visit, however. They could live in Laughlin, which has the Colorado River, but it sure wouldn't have a coastal climate.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 5,663 times
Which is nicer, Wyoming or Nevada? I want low humidity and I know Nevada would be perfect but I'm really attracted to Wyoming for the low pop and wide open land/mountains. Anyone hhere been t o Wyoming? What's the average humidity and does Nevada have some color or is it just brown everywhere? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada