U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:53 AM

7 posts, read 21,918 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are thinking of moving to Dayton, CC, Reno area in Dec. this year. Currently living in Raleigh, NC. Familiar with Dayton and CC areas as we have visited last 10 years on way to time share in incline village.

You might call this last move for retirement purposes. Have viewed many postings but would like to hear comments reflecting more current conditions.

Hoping to work part time to supplement income...don't mind the low pay, currently working as part time produce clerk in grocery store. Like the inter-action with people and have never been put off by manual labor.

Regarding Dayton... See many affordable homes in both Sutro and Mark Twain areas plus some that are attractive by the river, but perhaps a little large for 2 folks looking at semi-retirement.

Understand that no matter where you move today you will find the bad..gangs, drugs, high un-employment but was wondering what you all consider the good in your area? Would appreciate your honest thoughts about your community and what you see occuring for the area in the future. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 11:55 AM

3,681 posts, read 13,159,080 times
I would go with Carson City, Gardnerville or Minden. There's more to do there including shopping, restaurants and other amenities. There's not much going on in Dayton. You would also be closer to your time share at Lake Tahoe. www.carsonvalleynv.org

I have a retired friend who worked part time at the CC Walmart.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Default Thanks for the input

Thank you for your input. Seems like we're gonna just head out that way and rent furnished apt in Reno for a few months in December then just get a feel for the land in person.

I don't mind being out of the big city...there's always something to do or new to discover in desert regions. Seems to me that crime statistics probably equal out in proportion to the size of a city...Just a bit easier to figure out where you shouldn't be in a small town..plus folks seem to be a bit more friendly in smaller places.

Difference in driving time from Carson City to Tahoe and Dayton to Tahoe is maybe 30 minutes and I can live with that. There is just something about Dayton that struck me as a place that would be nice to live.

The other thing was more newer homes at a price point I can live with. I'm 64 and looking for a place that will keep me busy but not kill me cutting the grass.

Used a non-powered push mower to cut my lawn in Boise Idaho for 12 years, cut it in four directions just for the exercise, never had the neighbors complain about the noise. But then don't see a whole bunch of big lawns in Dayton in the first place. Maybe it's just that vista I've seen looking at the hills and Mountains around Dayton round sunrise and sunset that calls to me.

But there is something about Dayton that calls to me, I may be wrong but I think alot of folks sell it a little short in the telling.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 PM

197 posts, read 448,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw77 View Post
Thank you for your input. Seems like we're gonna just head out that way and rent furnished apt in Reno for a few months in December then just get a feel for the land in person.

I don't mind being out of the big city...there's always something to do or new to discover in desert regions. Seems to me that crime statistics probably equal out in proportion to the size of a city...Just a bit easier to figure out where you shouldn't be in a small town..plus folks seem to be a bit more friendly in smaller places.

Difference in driving time from Carson City to Tahoe and Dayton to Tahoe is maybe 30 minutes and I can live with that. There is just something about Dayton that struck me as a place that would be nice to live.

The other thing was more newer homes at a price point I can live with. I'm 64 and looking for a place that will keep me busy but not kill me cutting the grass.

Used a non-powered push mower to cut my lawn in Boise Idaho for 12 years, cut it in four directions just for the exercise, never had the neighbors complain about the noise. But then don't see a whole bunch of big lawns in Dayton in the first place. Maybe it's just that vista I've seen looking at the hills and Mountains around Dayton round sunrise and sunset that calls to me.

But there is something about Dayton that calls to me, I may be wrong but I think alot of folks sell it a little short in the telling.

Hi, this note was on the general NV board so I did not see it until now ---

You really might consider Fernley --- it is about the same distance, tons of great homes for wonderful price and becoming a favorite for retirees looking for value. Still not far from Reno.

Great idea to come to town and visit a bit before making a decision --- there really are a lot of great areas : )

Good luck and congratulations with your decision!!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 PM

33 posts, read 145,109 times
If you're a golfer, then Dayton is the place. Best greens in No. NV. Look closely at the houses around the Dayton Valley golf course.

If you don't play golf, then Dayton is a probably a push compared to Carson or Minden/G'ville. I am told that there are few part-time jobs, but I haven't been looking. The weather seems milder (less snow) than in Carson or Minden/G'ville because there is another mountain range between Dayton and Lake Tahoe.

Pretty quiet here. If you need to get out and go places everyday, then get a place closer to Tahoe, Reno or Carson. If you want more details, send me a DM and ask anything you want. I've been here four years now and I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 6,921 times
Be very careful with Dayton. Small towns in Nevada are not like small communities in other parts of the US. People live in rural areas here to be left alone, whether that has good intentions or bad ones. Lots of drugs. House values in Dayton are bad and not looking to improve any time soon. Dayton is mixed - Mark Twain area has some decent homes, but a lot crime, drugs, Lyon County cops break up domestic violence often out there. The south side of the river has many ranches, and big expensive homes, bought up by rich Californians 5 + years ago, many stand vacant now. Golf Course is okay, but they have struggled and changed ownership. The CC&R's are cruel out there for such a rural location for homes and a golf course. Be prepared for conservative thinking as well. The population has declined here, and realize that the nearest hospital is a 30 minute drive. One stop light, one grocery store, and the local highway is plagued with fatal accidents. Living in rural Nevada is a harsh reality once you settle in - please don't interpret this into some romantic fairy tale.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:41 PM

32 posts, read 59,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinewitch View Post
Be very careful with Dayton. Small towns in Nevada are not like small communities in other parts of the US. People live in rural areas here to be left alone, whether that has good intentions or bad ones. Lots of drugs. House values in Dayton are bad and not looking to improve any time soon. Dayton is mixed - Mark Twain area has some decent homes, but a lot crime, drugs, Lyon County cops break up domestic violence often out there. The south side of the river has many ranches, and big expensive homes, bought up by rich Californians 5 + years ago, many stand vacant now. Golf Course is okay, but they have struggled and changed ownership. The CC&R's are cruel out there for such a rural location for homes and a golf course. Be prepared for conservative thinking as well. The population has declined here, and realize that the nearest hospital is a 30 minute drive. One stop light, one grocery store, and the local highway is plagued with fatal accidents. Living in rural Nevada is a harsh reality once you settle in - please don't interpret this into some romantic fairy tale.
This is SO accurate ..... great post

Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 AM

Well would seem that Dayton is another american city. Maybe smaller in size but having all of the flavor of any place in america today. I agree with people being in rural areas to be left alone, was the reason for looking at Dayton but with better intentions rather than bad ones. Truth is that in the larger cities all the more to do things take you in to areas where you are at higher risk of getting mugged. was wonering if anyone other than nevadajack had good things to say about Dayton? Is the Sutro area like Mark Twain crime wise?

Old 11-22-2011, 04:51 AM

98 posts, read 187,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinewitch View Post
Sad, but true.
I delivered the materials that were used to build many of those fine homes years ago and it's a shame to see that many are now vacant.

To the OP: If you have ANY significant health issues, you are going to want to live in Reno/Sparks. The other areas simply have satellite health facilities and they will transfer you (at a significant cost to you and your family) to a medical center in Reno for almost any serious medical condition. Living in Reno/Sparks will help you avoid this from occurring.

Also, none of the outlying areas are going to have the serious shopping and entertainment venues that you may require, which will necessitate one or more weekly, if not monthly, trips to the Reno/Sparks area. If you need anything other than the BASICS, you aren't going to find it outside of Reno in Northern Nevada.

Finally, if you have a foreign automobile, you are going to have to go to Reno to have it repaired. There used to be a good shop in Carson,but it has apparently closed. You'll have to have your vehicle towed to Reno to have it worked on and unless you have a road service that could prove to be expensive.

I grew up in Reno, so I would always advise that any new people to the area strongly consider living in or around the Reno/Sparks area unless they have no health issues, are well-off and don't mind driving 30+ minutes minimum (or longer during poor weather) to shop or go out.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:48 AM

33 posts, read 145,109 times
I agree with many of the comments in this thread. I have no health issues and don't drive a foreign car. And I rarely go shopping at a mall, so Dayton is fine for me. Cable, cell phone and internet access are more than adequate. I also like the quiet and the lack of gourmet dining is not a minus for me. I only travel by car, so having to drive to Reno for an airplane is also no concern.

I suspect others have different requirements -- so that's why this forum is so good for getting all of the thoughts on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada