Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 08:19 PM

13 posts, read 36,430 times

Advertisements

We live in Carson City and are looking at homes in the Wellington/ Topaz Ranch area. Anyone live out that way? How do you like it? What advantages/disadvantages are there to living there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 08:34 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Wellington and Topaz Ranch are two different places. Life is good in either, if you are an outdoors person, have some land, horses, or dirt bikes etc. If you don't have anything to do, you are likely to drink a bit too much, all day long.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM

8 posts, read 20,830 times
What do you mean by "drink a bit too much, all day long"???? Would you please care to tell me? Thanks!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 31,828 times
Default Also interest in Wellington/Topaz Lake area

I am also looking at Wellington ..near Topaz Lake looks nice but less affordable for my budget but I'm still looking for a deal there if possible. Would love to hear from others about life in both areas. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 PM

484 posts, read 854,674 times
been to both and the phone reception is BAD. Its pretty but not much to do or shop that i noticed. there was a big fire there now an its a sore eye

Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM

4 posts, read 31,828 times
Yes, we were there two weeks ago and couldn't get cel phone reception ..but I was hoping it was because I am using TMobile. Last month I was able to tether wi-fi to my laptop in Silver Springs ..but unfortunatly my wife wasn't impressed with that area. Will have to check to see if other cel phone providers get through to the area ..if not; maybe satelite phones might be an option. I do like the area ...so if we find something that works then maybe I can live without a cel phone while there. Thanks for the reply peerage.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 PM

The PLUS about Silver Springs and Stage Coach you can get a lot of land for your money CHEAP..... its a up and coming area if you can deal with it the way it is now you will have be happy in the future. I have purchased a lot of land in the region. The box stores have started to contact me. Costco and Walmart already have purchased land not from me tho......Lake lahotian is the NEXT tahoe. Its classified as a Sleeper in Gentrification mode.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Lake lahotian is the NEXT tahoe. Its classified as a Sleeper in Gentrification mode.
Lahontan I suspect. The next Tahoe?! Lahontan Reservoir has 12,000 surface acres when full., Tahoe has 122,200 surface acres.

How is the Mercury clean up coming along?

Old 11-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Lahontan I suspect. The next Tahoe?! Lahontan Reservoir has 12,000 surface acres when full., Tahoe has 122,200 surface acres.

How is the Mercury clean up coming along?

i don't know how the clean-up is. But I do know that they area working on making it the next tahoe- meaning more built up . commerical and ressidential properties hotels etc. While i have been buying an selling in the area I have had to spead a great deal of time in the county seat Yearington and have meet a lot of Gov. workers and that is there goal/mission.

UNR has already started a poject on one of my parcels testing soil. I am in the process of using another area for just solar panels ........

Old 11-06-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
The Carson River Mercury Site includes mercury-contaminated soils at former mill sites, mercury contamination in waterways adjacent to the mill sites, and mercury contamination in sediments, fish and wildlife over more than a 50 mile length of the Carson River, beginning near Carson City, Nevada and extending downstream to the Lahontan Valley. Contamination at the site is a legacy of the Comstock mining era of the late 1800s, when mercury was imported to the area for processing of gold and silver ore. Ore mined from the Comstock Lode was transported to mill sites, where it was crushed and mixed with mercury to amalgamate the precious metals. The mills were located in Virginia City, Silver City, Gold Hill, Dayton, Six Mile Canyon, Gold Canyon, and adjacent to the Carson River between New Empire and Dayton. During the mining era, an estimated 7,500 tons of mercury were discharged into the Carson River drainage, primarily in the form of mercury-contaminated tailings.

Today, the mercury is in the sediments and adjacent flood plain of the Carson River and in the sediments of Lahontan Reservoir,
Carson River Superfund Site

Quote:
From the information collected, the Nevada State Health Division has issued health advisories recommending no consumption of certain fish species from seven northern Nevada waters due to elevated mercury levels. These include:

No consumption of any fish from Carson River from Dayton downstream to Lahontan Reservoir, including the reservoir.
Making Lahontan another Tahoe, is not going to happen. Invest at Pyramid lake, you can eat the fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada