U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:50 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,985,404 times

Advertisements

Well from what I understand you won't really be able to get electricity you will need 300.00to run off of a generator that's why we didn't buy in Unionville I didn't want to be off the grid. The seller's had told me that power was close by but when I called the county to find out they laughed at me and said about 20 miles away. 1 pole in 2005 cost $6300, the well went down 260 feet and cost $13,000. but I have 90 gpm and it's said to be cold so thats good. Water can be bad and no we haven't had ours tested yet but well water is a gamble in any state even here in Alaska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 06:28 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,812,752 times
I have been out of town, just read these, Buena Vista Valley is a great place. Unionville is a lovely town, take your wife to the Old Pioneer Garden bed and breakfast, stroll the town, she will love it. You can stay in a building Mark Twain stayed in, you can see his cabin site, where one night a cow fell through the roof into the cabin,, he writes about it in Roughing It.

It is ( I have stated this to Tressa, so she knows, a far far better place to live than Rye Patch.)

We were going to buy the old school house, move out there and open a classic motorcycle museum (old Arials and BSA,s but we were badly outbid.

Kyle hotsprings has seen better days. It is sometimes useable, sometimes full of cow dung.

You can do solar, it works well. Your shopping is in Winnemucca, which has all you need.

Plus with UPS and the Schwan man, you really never need to go to town.

An old Rancher I know retired and moved into Winnemucca, he could not stand the racket and he is now managing a ranch in Buena Vista Valley.

A little history. The 40 mile desert was a desperate crossing for the pioneers, much death along that route. If they had explored the Buena Vista Valley they would have discovered they could have by passed the 40 mile and crossed easily with water and good grass right to the Carson River.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,065 times
Hello tkaser,

I was looking at coordinates of your land next to old emigrant trail. We also bought land in your neighborhood next to old emigrant trail and wondering if you have visited the area and have any photographs of this place? If we plan to drive do you have any advice as regards the vehicle / gear we need to take along. Did you come across wild animals or snakes on your land.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaser View Post
This question is pretty much for you greatbasinguide, I really try to stay involved in what you have to say. I look forward to all of your replies, so here goes. We purchased 40 acres off of Old Emigrant Trail and American Canyon Road in what I have been told is the Buena Vista Valley. We liked what we have seen so far and the view of Granite Peak is incredible, our only concern is (my wife) the moron crickets but that really isn't my question, my question is what do you honestly think of the area and please be frank. I know regardless we will hopefully make our move to the area and enjoy the peace and quiet. Everyone feel free to chime in all input will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
tkaser & Vinney

Old 03-08-2009, 08:46 AM

14 posts, read 45,120 times
Default Pictures etc.

Hello neighbor, For me I would never go out there without a pickup or SUV, it doesn't have to be a monster truck but something that does have some clearance. Our land (or road) does have some dips that can pose some issues but driving slow will get you around those obstacles. We currently live in Florida so we bought the property in 06, went out in the middle of summer (July) of 06 and you will need plenty of water! I/we have never seen any wild animals. We went back in 07 around November/December, only thing we saw was some mule deer in Unionville. I went out this past time by myself same time frame Nov/Dec. I have a ton of photos and will try to post them here on the forum or if you would like send me and email address and I can send them out to you. Mine is tkaser@gmail.com

Old 03-10-2009, 03:47 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,360,687 times
Quote:
I hear ya, we haven't actually made the move as of yet but that is the key "kind of quiet" when we came out last year after buying this chunk of land that was the first thing that hit me when I closed the door.....you could hear ......NOTHING! that my friend is AWESOME. Perfect place for me, not so sure about the wife but time will tell. One question if you know, when looking at the area from google earth there appears to be some sort of mine, plant or whatever just to the west of us on the other side of the range, but not close to I-80. Any ideas?

Thanks again,
tkaser & vinney
Be very careful.
A friend of mine always wanted to live out in the back country of New Mexico. He was a long time hermit want-a-be. He loved to hear..Nothing! His wife on the other hand wasn't so sure of the place.
To make a long story short......he loved it and she hated it. They built a very pretty spread. She had to drive 200 miles to meet with her weaving club. After a few years, he died due to lack of good doctors in the area and she is sitting the home miserable, trying to sell the place and move near realtives. It is of course a tough market and the house has been up for sale for about a year. Sad tale. Couples must really decide if both are in agreement about an area and not just "go along" to make the other happy!

Time really never tells!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,065 times
Thanks Tkaser for your response. Since you have seen the area - do you think it can be used for off the grid living? Did you get any reliable information regarding depth of water or cost of well? Option of using solar energy or wind energy? Did you see / research about log home kits? I have been trying to dig answers for all this but nothing concrete yet. I will share information from my side as I make progress.

Quote:
Hello neighbor, For me I would never go out there without a pickup or SUV, it doesn't have to be a monster truck but something that does have some clearance. Our land (or road) does have some dips that can pose some issues but driving slow will get you around those obstacles. We currently live in Florida so we bought the property in 06, went out in the middle of summer (July) of 06 and you will need plenty of water! I/we have never seen any wild animals. We went back in 07 around November/December, only thing we saw was some mule deer in Unionville. I went out this past time by myself same time frame Nov/Dec. I have a ton of photos and will try to post them here on the forum or if you would like send me and email address and I can send them out to you. Mine is tkaser@gmail.com

Old 06-13-2009, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,372 times
hi neighbors tkaser and liveoffgrid, my girlfriend and I bought land right in the same area in april. We did see the land and it's great views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or