Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 01:41 AM

93 posts, read 182,495 times

Advertisements

We are different. We have our core beliefs, about doing unto others, etc. We also are fair to good shots, should that become necessary. We are also, Thank God, of actual retirement age (my wife hits her 'full' retirement age late summer)! We also have a couple of small pensions, and a $75K nest egg.

We do NOT want to hear boom-box auto-speakers. We do NOT want to hear of our neighbors getting burgled, or otherwise robbed. We want to make a few good friends, relax, and actually try to enjoy our remaining years in retirement. We want a home close (1/2 hour or so) to a Hospital ER. And its important that the hospital has a decent record when it comes to working on older folks.

We like to hunt (not so much, but in a friendship with other advocates) and we love to fish. I like dangling a 'ford fender off a line with a bell attached, and my more industrious wife likes fly fishing.

We do not party - let me clarify....we don't drink alcohol, or do drugs. We find enough idiots willing to consume our share, and we are glad to let 'em have it.

So, will $75K get us paid in full and into a clean, ready to move in place in y'alls neck of the woods, or is that a pipe dream. 2 years ago, we drove up to Redmond, Or, and found at least 20 homes that were less than 12 years old, 3 bed/2 ba in great condition for between $75L-$95K. Like a dummy, I waited to pull the trigger, and now my pal in Az owns THREE which he bought for under $65K each, and is renting for $750 per month. THIS TIME, I'll get a home inspection, clear title, and close in a week, with NO loan contingency. This is, of course, contingent upon us liking the place. Of those I offered in the subject line, which is the best place to live, and feel free to add another if you know of one.

Oh, and important to these conditions is the question of safe and clean drinking water. How is the water table? As long as it has no chance of running low within the next 15-20 years we're fine. My grandkids live near SanDiego, close to their mom and all of the 'family money' so there set without any help from me. (What that means is that we are poor. But we do intent to give hale of our empire (I sound like Redd Foxx) to my daughter and her children, and the other half to my wires daughter, and any kids she might have by the time it happens.

Thanks again,
F
Thanks for all your time and consideration. We appreciate it!
Fred
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:56 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
I don't know if $75,000 will be enough. I think you can scratch Sparks off your list. Take a look at Fernley. It's about 30 minutes from the hospitals in Reno. Fernley does have a medical clinic for basic problems, but I think you have to go Reno for anything serious. Fernley has shopping including a Walmart, restaurants, a golf course, etc. Near Fernley is the Lahontan Reservoir with good fishing I'm told. They have walleye, white bass, catfish, trout. Lahontan State Recreation Area | Nevada State Parks

Old 03-19-2014, 12:39 AM

93 posts, read 182,495 times
Thanks for your quick and kindly reply. In reality, we're not trying to reinvent the wheel, but even up to $110K $115K might work. We would rather settle for a lesser home, but crime and quiet are deal breakers.

Thank again,
Fred

Old 03-19-2014, 12:43 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
I'd say Fernley. Nice little town and close to Reno where they do have good medical.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:36 PM

75 posts, read 99,325 times
we are also looking to relocate within a year to NV - we have family and friends who've already moved to the Carson/Dayton area (said it was the best decision they made) - we've been visiting them throughout the last 12 years and I'm looking forward to the open views and blue sky! we live in the mountains and I'm really tired the trees (can hardly see the stars). I took early retirement and waiting for my husband to follow suit. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada