U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 PM

24 posts, read 48,305 times
Question Four UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS questions I can't seem to get answered.

Four questions I've found no clear answer for, anywhere.

QUESTION #1: STUDENT LOANS

In August, I'll go back to school and apply for grants and loans which will be a minimum of $5000 or so.

Since they will be online classes, I'll have plenty of time to work/find a job.

I'm just wondering how this effects the unemployment claim. I've seen questions about going back to school and it effecting your unemployment, but I've found nothing as to whether the loans/grants effect the loan. Do they take that as "income" or it into consideration? Will I be denied? WHAT WILL HAPPEN?!

QUESTION #2: EXTENTIONS

My benefits will RUN OUT in August.

What then? What is the procedure? There is literally NO bloody explantion for this on the UI web site, just some vague crap about "emergency" beneits and "state extended benefits".

Can I file for an extention at that time? What KIND of extention would it be? Is it some Federal extention that has to be approved by Congress -- and has one been approved for THIS year, 2012? Is it the STATE extended benefits (which require a lot more paperwork/documentation of job seeking)? Is it the EMERGENCY benefits?

QUESTION #3: GETTING HIRED BUT NOT WORKING YET

I may be hired NEXT WEEK for a TEMP JOB that BEGINS in LATE MAY. Will this effect the benefits, do I need to report it? I won't bloody be working until LATE MAY, but I *WILL* TECHNICALLY have a "job". At this point, the job will be designated as "full time" OR "on-call" -- not sure which yet.

THANK YOU for your help.

Last edited by cubd1; 03-17-2012 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 03:46 PM

10,481 posts, read 13,983,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubd1 View Post

In August, I'll go back to school and apply for grants and loans which will be a minimum of $5000 or so.

I'm just wondering how this effects the unemployment claim. I've seen questions about going back to school and it effecting your unemployment, but I've found nothing as to whether the loans/grants effect the loan. Do they take that as "income" or it into consideration? Will I be denied? WHAT WILL HAPPEN?!

What then? What is the procedure? There is literally NO bloody explantion for this on the UI web site, just some vague crap about "emergency" beneits and "state extended benefits".

Can I file for an extention at that time? What KIND of extention would it be? Is it some Federal extention that has to be approved by Congress -- and has one been approved for THIS year, 2012? Is it the STATE extended benefits (which require a lot more paperwork/documentation of job seeking)? Is it the EMERGENCY benefits?

I may be hired NEXT WEEK for a TEMP JOB that BEGINS in LATE MAY. Will this effect the benefits, do I need to report it? I won't bloody be working until LATE MAY, but I *WILL* TECHNICALLY have a "job". At this point, the job will be designated as "full time" OR "on-call" -- not sure which yet.

QUESTION #4: BEING OUT OF STATE FOR A WHILE

I'm planning on visiting Arizona for THREE WEEKS after obtaining this TEMP job. I do NOT plan on informing the Nevada UI office of this, or reporting it to the Arizona UI office and doing a transfer, since I'll be RIGHT BACK in Nevada in three weeks. Seems like a waste of time and a lot hassle I need not go through. However, I WILL be looking for jobs in Arizona WHILE I'm there (on the off-chance I'll find something worthwhile, which I'm NOT counting on at all!). So I don't consider it a period of time in which I will NOT be looking for work.

My question is: CAN THE NEVADA UI OFFICE KNOW OR TELL IF I'M OUT OF STATE by the IP address I login to file the claim? Or the PURCHASES I make on the card? Will they care? Is this relevant?

OR is it a simple procedure, that while I'm there for three weeks, I should do a state transfer? What about when I get BACK to NEVADA? WHAT THEN?

THANK YOU for your help.
Read the book that comes with your first unemployment mailing. You CANNOT go to school, and not only that, you are admitting you are going to be criminal with question number 4. They will hopefully find out and prosecute you for fraud if you do what you have suggested.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Read the book that comes with your first unemployment mailing. You CANNOT go to school, and not only that, you are admitting you are going to be criminal with question number 4. They will hopefully find out and prosecute you for fraud if you do what you have suggested.
[mod cut-- rude] I didn't know that was a crime, and now that I do, I will follow the proper procedures.

Last edited by observer53; 03-17-2012 at 11:33 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 03:56 PM

10,481 posts, read 13,983,823 times
Quote:
You are ridiculous. I didn't know that was a crime, and now that I do, I will follow the proper procedures.
I am on unemployment for 18 weeks myself, [mod cut-- orphaned]. As I said, read the small booklet that comes with your first mailing. They are cracking down on any fraud, and you were suggesting TWO frauds per the booklet. Not only that, you were doing it on a public forum.

Last edited by observer53; 03-17-2012 at 11:34 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 04:05 PM

11,337 posts, read 19,271,812 times
#1. The loan has nothing to do with UI. But taking classes can if they interfere with your ability to look for or accept suitable employment. You'll just have to fill out a form and probably your claim will be put on hold for a week or two until the issue is adjudicated. Shouldn't be a problem though, and as long as the classes don't interfere with your obligation to look for and accept work, you'll get the money; it might be a little late in coming though.
But, jeez...August? You should have a job long before that. You'll almost be out of benefits.

#2. OK, I'm reading each one then answering it. They can't tell you anything about Extended Benefits until the time comes. Nobody knows what Congress or the State Legislature will do that far in advance about EB. EB is based on percentage of unemployment, so nobody knows that far in advance if everyone in America will be back to work. Not bloody likely though. Then again, the State might be out of money and the Feds might cut us off.

#3. Any income must be reported on your weekly claim, and remember it's not when you get paid, it's the days of the Benefit Week that you earn it, so keep good track of what you earn on a daily basis. If it adds up to more than your UI benefit, you wonít get unemployment that week, but if it is less, you will get a partial UI payment (I know-they don't send checks anymore, but it's easier to explain that way). It's not a 1 to 1 deduction, but now I can't think of the formula. Now keep in mind that when you work the claim goes on hold until you are out of work in any week again. If you have earnings of less than your weekly benefit, they will deduct it, and your claim will go on. But if you make more than your weekly benefit, the claim stops until you reopen it, so letís say your weekly benefit is $300, and you earn $301 next week, but the following week you make either nothing at all, or less than $300, then you'd have to reopen your claim DURING THE WEEK YOU WISH TO CLAIM. In that case the last and next to last employers, and dates worked for them, become the last and next to last times you were called in. Each time you are sent home from a call-in job to wait for the next call you are considered laid off, even if they call you the next day. So your last two employers change each time you get that call even if it's the same employer. So you'd report (employers name) worked March 27 (next to last; and (Name of employer) worked March 28th (last employer). Both times is same employer but two different jobs since they laid you off and hired you back for a day and laid you off again.

I know it can be confusing, but literally thousands of convention and banquet workers do this 52 weeks a year. Most have always got a claim in effect but many never collect all of it due to their work is always on call, and in their case, usually for different employers.

Now, you said you'd be going back to work in May? Do you know the EXACT date? And will it pay more than your UI benefit? If it pays more it is really a F/T job and UI goes on hold for the rest of the Benefit Year or until you reopen it due to a lay off during that same year, as I just described. And, if you have an EXACT DATE and the employer will give it to you in writing, six weeks prior to that you can stop looking for work if you want to. But you have to tell ESD and give it to them in writing from the employer. (I'm sure it's six weeks but things may have changed since I retarred, so better ask to be sure).

#4. You would be bordering on committing fraud (if not out rightly committing fraud) unless you are seriously looking for work and can prove it. When your claim is audited they will check the employers that you claim to have talked to and you'd better hope the employer has a record of it. You are required to look for suitable work at least three days per week, and keep good records of your job search. If it is found that you didn't follow all the rules of UI, you will have to pay back those weeks of benefits that were obtained illegally. In some extreme cases I've seen people go to jail, or be put on probation. Try finding a job in order to pay back your unemployment when you have been convicted of fraud.

Are you saying the part time job will be in Arizona? If so, you will most likely be required to report to a local office in AZ. But since it is all done by phone or computer now, the rules have changed, so you need to ask somebody at ESD if it isn't in your Claimant's Handbook. If you didn't get one of those yet, you will. If not, ask for one, or find it online.

Of course if the P/T job pays more than UI, it's really a full time job as far as ESD is concerned, and you'd stop filing until you are no longer working that or any subsequent jobs. If you go to another state in search of a job, you'd don't have to report that. But if you will be there for a while you have to transfer the claim. Then when you come back you have to transfer back. Again, due to the fact that unemployment is done on line and by phone these days, it might not matter at all. ASK ESD BEFORE you get into trouble. Taking the attitude that you can't be bothered with rules just means you are contemplating fraud and YOU WILL GET CAUGHT; I don't care what your friends tell you. I happen to know several of the people whose job it is to investigate those things.

Collecting unemployment claims is a serious contract between you and the State, and it is the most complex stuff you ever saw. I feel sorry for the layman who is expected to know this stuff, but as they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse. And flaunting it will come back to bite you in the a**.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am on unemployment for 18 weeks myself, so I am not ridiculous as I know what I am talking about. As I said, read the small booklet that comes with your first mailing. They are cracking down on any fraud, and you were suggesting TWO frauds per the booklet. Not only that, you were doing it on a public forum.
I read the booklet and they say to contact them if you are out of state MORE than "two weeks". So that clears that up.

I'm not intending to commit any sort of fraud. I have a job interview next week and I'm doing my due diligence.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
#1. The loan has nothing to do with UI. But taking classes can if they interfere with your ability to look for or accept suitable employment. You'll just have to fill out a form and probably your claim will be put on hold for a week or two until the issue is adjudicated. Shouldn't be a problem though, and as long as the classes don't interfere with your obligation to look for and accept work, you'll get the money; it might be a little late in coming though.
But, jeez...August? You should have a job long before that. You'll almost be out of benefits.

#2. OK, I'm reading each one then answering it. They can't tell you anything about Extended Benefits until the time comes. Nobody knows what Congress or the State Legislature will do that far in advance about EB. EB is based on percentage of unemployment, so nobody knows that far in advance if everyone in America will be back to work. Not bloody likely though. Then again, the State might be out of money and the Feds might cut us off.

#3. Any income must be reported on your weekly claim, and remember it's not when you get paid, it's the days of the Benefit Week that you earn it, so keep good track of what you earn on a daily basis. If it adds up to more than your UI benefit, you wonít get unemployment that week, but if it is less, you will get a partial UI payment (I know-they don't send checks anymore, but it's easier to explain that way). It's not a 1 to 1 deduction, but now I can't think of the formula. Now keep in mind that when you work the claim goes on hold until you are out of work in any week again. If you have earnings of less than your weekly benefit, they will deduct it, and your claim will go on. But if you make more than your weekly benefit, the claim stops until you reopen it, so letís say your weekly benefit is $300, and you earn $301 next week, but the following week you make either nothing at all, or less than $300, then you'd have to reopen your claim. In that case the last and next to last employers, and dates worked for them, become the last and next to last times you were called in. Each time you are sent home from a call-in job to wait for the next call you are considered laid off, even if they call you the next day. So your last two employers change each time you get that call even if it's the same employer. So you'd report (employers name) worked March 27 (next to last; and (Name of employer) worked March 28th (last employer). Both times is same employer but two different jobs since they laid you off and hired you back for a day and laid you off again.

I know it can be confusing, but literally thousands of convention and banquet workers do this 52 weeks a year. Most have always got a claim in effect but many never collect all of it due to their work is always on call, and in their case, usually for different employers.

Now, you said you'd be going back to work in May? Do you know the EXACT date? And will it pay more than your UI benefit? If it pays more it is really a F/T job and UI goes on hold for the rest of the Benefit Year or until you reopen it due to a lay off during that same year, as I just described. And, if you have an EXACT DATE and the employer will give it to you in writing, six weeks prior to that you can stop looking for work if you want to. But you have to tell ESD and give it to them in writing from the employer. (I'm sure it's six weeks but things may have changed since I retarred, so better ask to be sure).

#4. You would be bordering on committing fraud (if not out rightly committing fraud) unless you are seriously looking for work and can prove it. When your claim is audited they will check the employers that you claim to have talked to and you'd better hope the employer has a record of it. You are required to look for suitable work at least three days per week, and keep good records of your job search. If it is found that you didn't follow all the rules of UI, you will have to pay back those weeks of benefits that were obtained illegally. In some extreme cases I've seen people go to jail, or be put on probation. Try finding a job in order to pay back your unemployment when you have been convicted of fraud.

Are you saying the part time job will be in Arizona? If so, you will most likely be required to report to a local office in AZ. But since it is all done by phone or computer now, the rules have changed, so you need to ask somebody at ESD if it isn't in your Claimant's Handbook. If you didn't get one of those yet, you will. If not, ask for one, or find it online.

Of course if the P/T job pays more than UI, it's really a full time job as far as ESD is concerned, and you'd stop filing until you are no longer working that or any subsequent jobs. If you go to another state in search of a job, you'd don't have to report that. But if you will be there for a while you have to transfer the claim. Then when you come back you have to transfer back. Again, due to the fact that unemployment is done on line and by phone these days, it might not matter at all. ASK ESD BEFORE you get into trouble. Taking the attitude that you can't be bothered with rules just means you are contemplating fraud and YOU WILL GET CAUGHT; I don't care what your friends tell you. I happen to know several of the people whose job it is to investigate those things.

Collecting unemployment claims is a serious contract between you and the State, and it is the most complex stuff you ever saw. I feel sorry for the layman who is expected to know this stuff, but as they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse. And flaunting it will come back to bite you in the a**.
Thank you for this excellent and clear reply. I now understand it better.

I was planning on going to Arizona to look for some jobs down there (since I'm originally from there), but wasn't sure if reporting that and transferring it would be necessary since I wasn't planning on necessarily moving there or being there very long. The booklet says "more than two weeks" is necessary for reportage, so I'll plan on staying under two weeks.

Assuming I get the job I'm interviewing for, it begins May 27th. The hire date to the work date will LIKELY be MORE than six weeks, though it is possible the company may make the hire "official" later on, in April or May. I'm not sure. In event, I'll report everything going on to UI.

My concern was that I know I'm 1) possibly getting hired but 2) won't actually start WORK itself until late May. Confusing, weird, but that's how they do it. I was just worried if the benefits get cut off at that point, because I'm going to need them to pay bills until then.

Anyway, thanks again.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:21 PM

11,337 posts, read 19,271,812 times
Quote:
I read the booklet and they say to contact them if you are out of state MORE than "two weeks". So that clears that up.

I'm not intending to commit any sort of fraud. I have a job interview next week and I'm doing my due diligence.
You'll be OK. It's complex, but just be sure to answer those five questions (I guess it's still 5) truthfully on your weekly claim. The important thing to remember is that you must be able and available, and looking for work each week. The five questions are designed to catch able and available issues that you might not think of. Usually they will just ask you about it and if it's nothing, life goes on. But it is up to them to decide, not the claimant.

Also, in some cases, if you work P/T and it's a regularly scheduled thing and you make the same each week, they might set it up so you don't have to do anything unless the work or pay changes.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
This will only be applicable if I get this temp job over the summer. I'll reapply for benefits when it is over, and then go to school. I was just wondering if school would be an issue. Sounds like it won't, as I'll report everything, they'll review it, see I'm taking online classes leaving plenty of room to search for work.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 PM

4,863 posts, read 5,325,541 times
Quote:

THANK YOU for your help.
As soon as you use your debit card or withdrawl money in another state: Busted...

I am pretty sure the state tracks your spending with the Nevada debit card. If they don't, they are surely "able" to, by pulling your account.

I have actually heard this in different cases.

I don't know if it's 100% true but do you want to test the state of Nevada?

You will lose.

Don't file for the weeks you are not in this state. Or be honest and notify them of your absence so they don't pay you benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada