U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 PM

55 posts, read 154,735 times

Advertisements

IS Fernley up and coming or going to be an also ran?

I know there is going to b e a Walmart and Lowes, so there is some building going on. IS this going to be a place to be, or not so much?

IT is more affordable than most places in the area and not that far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 05:10 PM

3,681 posts, read 13,162,817 times
Fernley will continue to grow and become a suburb of Reno/Sparks. Housing is still cheaper in Fernley than in the Reno/Sparks area and that is a big draw to move there. And it's only 30 miles or so to Reno. Warehousing goods is a big business in the area (Nevada has no inventory tax, CA does, so goods are stored in NV and shipped out as needed). Amazon has a warehouse in the Fernley area.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:20 PM
aub

3 posts, read 36,719 times
is there a newpaper for fernley. i would like to see how much a apartment or house is for rent

Old 09-13-2007, 11:45 AM

3,681 posts, read 13,162,817 times
Go on line for the Reno Gazette Journal, the Fernley Leader or Fernley News.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Fernley is growing and will continue to improve

There is good construction going on - Lowes, Walmart , Starbucks, KFC....all the retail normals.

The population is the highest in Lyon county at 20k. So, you have a good tax base.

Home prices are cheap compared to what you get in Reno / Sparks or anywher eelse in the area. $300k will get you alot here, where it will not in Reno /Carson / Minden, etc... Also, it is a short drive to Reno.

Good family feel to the town.

I think with the cheaper prices, the town will boom, once it gets the infrastructure in place, which it is doing.

I do live in Fernley now, so there is that. Some will say that water is an issue, but they will start water treatment plant soon.....the bid was just awarded.

Thoughts?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:40 PM

9 posts, read 41,096 times
Fernley is a mess. The City is literally run by the "good 'ol boys" ... the planning commissioners, city councilmen, and particularly the Mayor. Pretty much it is a corrupt municipality. If you chose to live in Fernley, accept the consequences of the corruption and the associated anti-American oppression.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:42 PM

159 posts, read 560,777 times
Rents:

You can rent a brand spanking 4 bedroom house, 3 car garage for around $1000 (when we last looked) Same house in Reno will run about $1500.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:35 PM

Fernley is one of the worst places to live with regard to poor city planning, cheaply built housing development, and corrupt city management. Fernley officials are all about serving the tract-home developers and themselves.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:46 PM

Cool Ridiculous!!!

The new Fernley water treatment plant is being built in the middle of a nice residential area on property zoned residential. The facility is a dangerous chemical facilty... google Carter Lake water plant. No residents or residential areas anywhere in Fernley are safe from the vagaries and under-the-table money-driven decisions made by the Fernley city officials. Beware living in or moving to Fernley, Nevada.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:45 AM

Default I have to disagree

TEWTP ...sounds like you have a bit of sour grapes. I assume that you live near where the water treatment plant is being built. I may feelthe same if I were in your shoes, but I do not think that your posts relate what most people feel about Fernley.

I see it as a nice family friendly community. My child goes to Fernley Elementary school, which, if you check out Great Schools.Net, is rated an 8 out of 10. That is above average and rates the highest in Fernley, and favorably with schools in Reno.

The commercial development is improving. Housing is less expensive than any other in the area, so there are some good deals here, even before property values all over started plummeting.

The drive to Reno is a short, easy drive.

It is a small town, with a small town feel that is close to Reno. The schools are improving, per my note above, and the housing is affordable. You do not have that combination in most places in Northern Nevada.

Thansk,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada