U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2012, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,322 times

Advertisements

Elko, NV
Ely, NV
Las Vegas, NV
Wells, NV
Winnemucca, NV

I am apply for positions in these areas and I have a small family, but of course want the best for them. Which area is safer and crime free?

Please any help would be great, we are coming from Kaneohe Hawaii and interested in working in the mainland.

Thanks much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,402,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuenaga886 View Post
Elko, NV
Ely, NV
Las Vegas, NV
Wells, NV
Winnemucca, NV

I am apply for positions in these areas and I have a small family, but of course want the best for them. Which area is safer and crime free?

Please any help would be great, we are coming from Kaneohe Hawaii and interested in working in the mainland.

Thanks much.

None of them. They all have Crime.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:49 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,506,540 times
Quote:
we are coming from Kaneohe Hawaii
Just curious . . WHY would you want to leave paradise?

Google . . Nevada school rankings

Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,535,412 times
If you are an outdoors person, Elko or Ely. If you are an indoors person, it matters not where you live.

For myself, I would take rural Nevada over Hawaii any day.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 AM

11,553 posts, read 20,487,434 times
Quote:
Elko, NV
Ely, NV
Las Vegas, NV
Wells, NV
Winnemucca, NV

Thanks much.
You are comparing apples to oranges, and I think asking the wrong question. First of all, Las Vegas is a major city of 2 million people, located just 4 hours drive (20-30 minute flight) from the largest city in America, Los Angeles. It has not only all the amenities of most other major cities on "the Mainland", but it has more amenities and conveniences than almost every other city of 2 to 5 million people. Most people in Las Vegas are just like everyone else, and the crime stats are about "normal" for any city this size. Way less crime than say Detroit, or Washington, DC.

The other towns that you ask about are small, isolated rural communities with almost no big city amenities. Winnemucca is the largest with about 7400 people, Ely has less than 4300, and I believe Wells has less than 1300 population. Ely and Winnemucca are the largest towns in their counties, the only real population centers, if you could call them that, and Wells is much smaller than Elko in Elko County, but Elko's not that big either. All three counties are each one larger than the entire State of Hawaii. So you can see from the relative sizes how isolated they are.

So what you should be asking is would YOU prefer to be in the middle of nowhere in a medical emergency, or could YOU live without certain things you might be used to having, or would YOU prefer to live in a large city that has so many great things to do?

Maybe if you are the outdoors type, you might enjoy the high desert of a Northern Nevada small community. Just keep in Mind that Winnemucca is 2 hours from Reno, which might not be so bad since there is no traffic in the open desert, but Ely is about 6 hours from Las Vegas.

Of the three rural communities, I think I'd prefer Ely. I'd really prefer Elko, but you didn't mention that. But too, the best on your list is Las Vegas. And nearly as good is Reno. Clark County has just under 2 million, I should say, with nearly all of them in the Las Vegas Metropolitan Area. The entire state, which is nearly the size of Germany, only has 2.7 million, and almost all those not in Las Vegas are in the Reno Metro Area.

Think Australian Outback when you think of rural Nevada, and ask yourself if you could actually live in those places.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:10 AM

Sorry, I see you did include Elko. It was cut off when I was writing the reply so I didn't see it. In my opinion, of the rural communities you asked about, Elko is the largest and is growing. Probably has the most going for it of all Nevada rural communities. But the location is both a curse and a blessing. It's beautiful there, but far from everything. Also, all of those towns are high desert, so you might not like the altitude if you have any health problems.

Las Vegas is low(er) desert at average 2,000 feet elevation.

It would be ideal if you could spend some time in each place before you decide.

By the way, what do you do? What kind of job are you applying for that you'd find in all those places?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:51 AM

775 posts, read 807,232 times
You're asking a question that nobody else can answer for you. It would be helpful to have specific questions that can be answered subjectively. 'Safer' than what for example, and crime free isn't a realistic expectation.

Do you have school age children?
Any special medical needs?
Have you ever spent time in a dry climate?
What do you like to do for entertainment?

I'm sure there are tons more, but you really should spent time in the area.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,773,558 times
I'm honestly trying to not take your post off topic but LA is not the largest city. According to the most recent data found here; "Biggest US Cities By Population". biggestuscities.com. 11 December 2010.

New York City is the largest city by far at 8,175,133 people
versus L.A.'s population at 3,792,621.

According to 2010 statistical data New York City is over twice the size of L.A. in population.

I'm not concerned with land mass or density just population within city limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges, and I think asking the wrong question. First of all, Las Vegas is a major city of 2 million people, located just 4 hours drive (20-30 minute flight) from the largest city in America, Los Angeles. It has not only all the amenities of most other major cities on "the Mainland", but it has more amenities and conveniences than almost every other city of 2 to 5 million people. Most people in Las Vegas are just like everyone else, and the crime stats are about "normal" for any city this size. Way less crime than say Detroit, or Washington, DC.

The other towns that you ask about are small, isolated rural communities with almost no big city amenities. Winnemucca is the largest with about 7400 people, Ely has less than 4300, and I believe Wells has less than 1300 population. Ely and Winnemucca are the largest towns in their counties, the only real population centers, if you could call them that, and Wells is much smaller than Elko in Elko County, but Elko's not that big either. All three counties are each one larger than the entire State of Hawaii. So you can see from the relative sizes how isolated they are.

So what you should be asking is would YOU prefer to be in the middle of nowhere in a medical emergency, or could YOU live without certain things you might be used to having, or would YOU prefer to live in a large city that has so many great things to do?

Maybe if you are the outdoors type, you might enjoy the high desert of a Northern Nevada small community. Just keep in Mind that Winnemucca is 2 hours from Reno, which might not be so bad since there is no traffic in the open desert, but Ely is about 6 hours from Las Vegas.

Of the three rural communities, I think I'd prefer Ely. I'd really prefer Elko, but you didn't mention that. But too, the best on your list is Las Vegas. And nearly as good is Reno. Clark County has just under 2 million, I should say, with nearly all of them in the Las Vegas Metropolitan Area. The entire state, which is nearly the size of Germany, only has 2.7 million, and almost all those not in Las Vegas are in the Reno Metro Area.

Think Australian Outback when you think of rural Nevada, and ask yourself if you could actually live in those places.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I'm honestly trying to not take your post off topic but LA is not the largest city. According to the most recent data found here; "Biggest US Cities By Population". biggestuscities.com. 11 December 2010.

New York City is the largest city by far at 8,175,133 people
versus L.A.'s population at 3,792,621.

According to 2010 statistical data New York City is over twice the size of L.A. in population.

I'm not concerned with land mass or density just population within city limits.
I knew I would have to qualify that to say "in area", but I figured people would get it. In area, NYC, as most other cities not in the west, are small, and the people are stacked all over each other. We don't like that kind of congestion out here. But, I think your numbers don't show the metro area of either NYC, or Los Angeles. But LA gets all lumped together, since, unlike a lot of other cities, you can't tell when you've left LA's city limits and are now in Hollywood, or Pasadena, etc. I think it might be because the same streets continue on and on for miles through other municipalities, and also, LA has some kind of arrangement where the other towns are all under many of the same public services.

I haven't looked that up, but think I'm right. I also think you'll find that LA County is the largest in the country. But that might be San Bernardino Cty I'm thinking of. Although there are many counties in states like Nevada, California, and Texas that are larger than many states, and foreign countries.

Population-wise, I think it runs, New York City, Chicago, then Los Angeles.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,467,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Just curious . . WHY would you want to leave paradise?

Google . . Nevada school rankings
Maybe this is why... (?)
Which City is better to raise a family?-scalloped-hammerhead-shark-kaneohe-bay-oahu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada