U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-12-2012, 04:45 PM
etx etx started this thread

49 posts, read 53,115 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to move from Montana to a warmer climate for health reasons. I've strongly considered the south, but am interested in staying closer to family if I can find what I need closer.

A friend in Vegas says its always nice and sunny there, so how is the northern part of Nevada weatherwise?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 05:29 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,475,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etx View Post
if I can find what I need
Only YOU can determine what specifically that is. Even Vegas gets a little snow occasionally. Why can't you Google the winter weather data for cities at various latitudes and elevations?

Old 05-12-2012, 07:04 PM

944 posts, read 339,297 times
North has snow and cold weather in the winter.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:05 AM

11,495 posts, read 20,168,486 times
How far north can I live and still be warm?

Somewhere south of Mexico City.

If you mean in Nevada, there is only Mesquite which would be 90 miles closer for you; but why not just move to Las Vegas where everything is convenient, and health care is plentiful. Plus you'd have access to one of the busiest airports on the planet, so you could fly home in two hours, or take I-15 where you can drive to Montaaaaanna in 11 hours or so.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
How far north can I live and still be warm?

Somewhere south of Mexico City.

If you mean in Nevada, there is only Mesquite which would be 90 miles closer for you; but why not just move to Las Vegas where everything is convenient, and health care is plentiful. Plus you'd have access to one of the busiest airports on the planet, so you could fly home in two hours, or take I-15 where you can drive to Montaaaaanna in 11 hours or so.

vegas has a lot of purrrtee ladies who can also keep him warm

Old 05-16-2012, 03:38 PM

537 posts, read 687,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
vegas has a lot of purrrtee ladies who can also keep him warm
For a nominal fee, of course.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:47 AM

25 posts, read 43,088 times
I have been a Nevada resident for most of my life, and I have spent time in most every town. I can attest that Northern Nevada has beautiful weather. Most towns from Carson City and every town along I 80 including Reno do get hit with snow from time to time (4-7 times a year on average), but it seems to melt astonishingly quick!

Right now I live in Winnemucca and yesterday on June 5th, it snowed here. It was a cold day, but today it was back up to 80 degrees! That was our 2nd snow this year.

It seems like every other year, we get a decent sized storm where it seems to take awhile for the snow to melt in higher elevations. Growing up in Carson City, I only remember 3 major snow storms in 18 years.

The weather is fickle in Northern Nevada, and I'm not sure what you are looking for.. so here are some things I like more than Vegas:

1. It is more beautiful and a little more green
2. Less hustle and bustle
3. We don't have to deal with that many 100 degree plus days
4. No traffic
5. Less Polution (outside of Reno)
6. Less Crime
7. Cheaper Gas (Carson City is usually the lowest).
8. Overall cost of living is lower.

Here are some negatives of Northern Nevada
1. Not very good public transportation
2. Unemployment is high outside of mining towns
3. Less public assistance for health issues
4. Not many sidewalks- not very pedestrian friendly
5. Very Windy!

Overall, my favorite part about Nevada is the weather. While it is fickle, the bad weather doesn't last very long! It seems to rarely drop below 40 degrees except at night in higher elevations. I would say that I wear shorts/skirts from March to November. Most Spring/Summer/Fall days seem to hang around 70-80 degrees. That isn't too bad compared to many other places!

Old 06-08-2012, 02:55 AM

62 posts, read 85,550 times
Reno-Tahoe - check out weather stats at RENO's (!!!) VERY OWN desert research institute (NOAA) for all US cities,

Western Regional Climate Center

then for cities look at

Climate Summaries | Western Regional Climate Center

reno -

Climate Data Summary

vegas -

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/clilcd.pl?nv23169

we are considering reno. you wrote -

" The weather is fickle in Northern Nevada, and I'm not sure what you are looking for.. so here are some things I like more than Vegas:

4. No traffic
6. Less Crime

5. Very Windy!"

all of this sounds GREAT except for the WIND - does the entire eastern sierra between Bishop and north of Reno have wind?

What neighborhoods between Carson City and north of Reno do *NOT* have wind?

Old 06-09-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAplus View Post
Reno-Tahoe - check out weather stats at RENO's (!!!) VERY OWN desert research institute (NOAA) for all US cities,

Western Regional Climate Center

then for cities look at

Climate Summaries | Western Regional Climate Center

reno -

Climate Data Summary

vegas -

Climate Data Summary

we are considering reno. you wrote -

" The weather is fickle in Northern Nevada, and I'm not sure what you are looking for.. so here are some things I like more than Vegas:

4. No traffic
6. Less Crime

5. Very Windy!"

all of this sounds GREAT except for the WIND - does the entire eastern sierra between Bishop and north of Reno have wind?

What neighborhoods between Carson City and north of Reno do *NOT* have wind?
between Carson and Reno is Washoe Valley the WINDY-EST area of all and closes down to RV's and trucks a lot and has advisories almost every week year round.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:20 AM

376 posts, read 881,794 times
If you like small town living, I'd say Lincoln County. Caliente or Alamo would both be good options. Alamo is further south, about 90 miles north of Las Vegas. Caliente is about 45 north of Alamo. Both are on US 93 which runs straight into Western Montana. Both are very small towns (~1000-1500) population. Need a job? Good luck with that. Need to be close to shopping. Once again, good luck. But both are quiet towns with decent weather (both slightly cooler than LV, snow happens, but is rare). And both are within a couple of hours of St. George, UT and Las Vegas.

If you need something slightly bigger, Mesquite, as previously mentioned would be a good choice. If you need more than that, I would choose St. George over Las Vegas, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada