Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 12:38 AM

90 posts, read 212,062 times

Advertisements

I have been renting my home for 3 years. My lease is up Oct1st we gave a 45 day notice last month and everything was fine. I was allowing the landlord to show the home and they found a new tenant. Well that tenant wants to move in September 20th. I was planning on moving out the 16th of September so it was no big deal. But When I asked for a pro-rated amount of rent "If" and only IF they rented the home out early they flatly refused. I have paid in full for this month. I have $2700 in deposit on the line and don't know if I should push this issue? What I want to know is do I have a legal leg to stand on or should I just eat $575? Am I allowed to refuse to give them the keys till the 30th even though my notice said I would be moving out the 16th? Remember I have paid the entire month all ready. Is my landlord allowed to collect rent from two different tenants at the same time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 PM

843 posts, read 2,207,916 times
Read the rental/lease agreement you signed. It should all be spelled out there.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 AM

90 posts, read 212,062 times
No it's not, all it says is my lease is up Oct 1st.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 AM

23,469 posts, read 23,803,082 times
Then tell them you won't release the unit until October 1st. If they want it sooner, they can change the lease to whatever date you agree on, and you can stipulate the refund.

The lease is the controlling contract. You have no obligation to let them have the unit back any earlier than October 1st, and if they're not going to give you your money back for that time, then you have no reason to give them a $500 gift.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:18 AM

4 posts, read 23,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Then tell them you won't release the unit until October 1st. If they want it sooner, they can change the lease to whatever date you agree on, and you can stipulate the refund.

The lease is the controlling contract. You have no obligation to let them have the unit back any earlier than October 1st, and if they're not going to give you your money back for that time, then you have no reason to give them a $500 gift.
Agreed.

Their feelings over the matter shouldn't affect them refunding your security deposit (might also want to look into if they have to refund the interest on your deposit, too). I said shouldn't because sometimes landlords let their emotions override reason and compliance with the law/contracts, so... maybe try talking to them about it again? Pro-rating might sound a lot better if they might be losing two tenants (you and the prospective new one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada