Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:55 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,655,150 times

Advertisements

One cannot compare the Republican use of the process in the last few years to anything that ever went on before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 AM

901 posts, read 1,894,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
One cannot compare the Republican use of the process in the last few years to anything that ever went on before.
Maybe so, but my point is that the use of the filibuster has been escalating for several years, and will continue to do so when the shoe is on the other foot. FWIW, I believe if a party is going to filibuster, it should be done the way it was originally intended -- the old-fashioned way, not as it is done today.

Getting back on topic, what does any of this have to do with Harry Reid not being able to hold his own party together? Again, once Al Franken was sworn in, the Dems could ram though any legislation they wanted. The Reps were totally powerless. That is a fact.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:14 PM

483 posts, read 663,538 times
" Looks like Nevada, the swing state, has swung for Obama"

So...in other words, Nevada swung and missed.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Maybe so, but my point is that the use of the filibuster has been escalating for several years, and will continue to do so when the shoe is on the other foot. FWIW, I believe if a party is going to filibuster, it should be done the way it was originally intended -- the old-fashioned way, not as it is done today.

Getting back on topic, what does any of this have to do with Harry Reid not being able to hold his own party together? Again, once Al Franken was sworn in, the Dems could ram though any legislation they wanted. The Reps were totally powerless. That is a fact.
Quote:
n mid-January, pollsters for the Washington Post and ABC News asked a representative sampling of Americans the following question: “Obama has been president for about three years. Would you say he has accomplished a great deal during that time, a good amount, not very much, or little or nothing?”

When the poll’s results were released on January 18, even the most seasoned White House staffers, who know the president faces a tough battle for reelection, must have spit up their coffee: more than half the respondents—52 percent—said the president has accomplished “not very much” or “little or nothing.”

It is often said that there are no right or wrong answers in opinion polling, but in this case, there is an empirically right answer—one chosen by only 12 percent of the poll’s respondents. The answer is that Obama has accomplished “a great deal.”

Measured in sheer legislative tonnage, what Obama got done in his first two years is stunning. Health care reform. The takeover and turnaround of the auto industry. The biggest economic stimulus in history. Sweeping new regulations of Wall Street. A tough new set of consumer protections on the credit card industry. A vast expansion of national service. Net neutrality. The greatest increase in wilderness protection in fifteen years. A revolutionary reform to student aid. Signing the New START treaty with Russia. The ending of “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

Even over the past year, when he was bogged down in budget fights with the Tea Party-controlled GOP House, Obama still managed to squeeze out a few domestic policy victories, including a $1.2 trillion deficit reduction deal and the most sweeping overhaul of food safety laws in more than seventy years. More impressively, on the foreign policy front he ended the war in Iraq, began the drawdown in Afghanistan, helped to oust Gaddafi in Libya and usher out Mubarak in Egypt, orchestrated new military and commercial alliances as a hedge against China, and tightened sanctions against Iran over its nukes.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
You once told me that it's not a good idea to quote from the internet all day, or something to that effect. You also said that you never posted in the NV forums. I can dig up those posts to refresh your memory if needed, as well as similar comments by "Highnlite" and "Highnlite.", but that's for another day.

Let me try to keep things simple. Al Franken effectively became the 60th Dem vote in July 2009. Senate rules say that debate will continue (i.e. filibuster) as long as at least 41 senators vote to do so. The GOP only had 40 votes at that time and didn't get the 41st vote until Scott Brown took office in Feb 2010.

Please explain how the GOP had the power to stop anything between July 2009 and Feb 2010? No links, graphs, or quotes - just a simple explanation in your own words will suffice. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 PM

421 posts, read 897,151 times
Anyone interested in politics will enjoy this site. Electoral-vote.com: President, Senate, House Updated Daily Updates every day and it gets really exciting the closer you get to the election! Denise

Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 PM

8 posts, read 11,947 times
Some thoughts, strictly observations and completely opinionated.

Politics is a direct reflection of what we see in society. In the beginning, we all pretty much wanted the same things - health, happiness and the prospect of a bountiful future for everyone. At some point our wants changed to health, happiness and a bountiful future for ME.

Our elected representatives are no different - they come directly from society and bring all of societies attitudes with them. They each have their own agenda and are essentially working for themselves, not for the good of the people they represent. For example: Look at what the mayor of NYC is attempting to enact - a limit of the size of sweetened beverages a person can buy. Do you think the people of NYC asked him to do this? It's his idea based on what HE wants and the people he is supposed to speak for don't have a say - he can enact this without getting their permission (i think). It's the same way in Washington. They cut deals all the time to get what they want ... "I'll vote for your bill if you vote for mine" when it ought to read "let me ask my people how they they want me to vote". Logic tells us that we can't all have what we want at the same time but not everyone thinks logically, least of all politicians. We've seen elected officials actually go and hide out in order to avoid a vote they thought would not go their way. We've seen Harry Reid put a bill in his pocket and refuse to present it for a vote. We've seen House Republicans say their most important priority is to defeat Obama. I could go on. The bottom line is - they will do ANYTHING to get their way, regardless of how it hurts the people. A lot of us in society are like that too.

It's not the fault of Democrats or Republicans, it's the fault of all of us for allowing our own self-interests to come before the interest of our collective society and our country. I say we all need to be re-prioritized and re-patriotized. Perhaps then we'd find more common ground to accomplish the tasks at hand ... and bring our leaders and ourselves back to earth.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
You once told me that it's not a good idea to quote from the internet all day, or something to that effect. You also said that you never posted in the NV forums. I can dig up those posts to refresh your memory if needed, as well as similar comments by "Highnlite" and "Highnlite.", but that's for another day.

Let me try to keep things simple. Al Franken effectively became the 60th Dem vote in July 2009. Senate rules say that debate will continue (i.e. filibuster) as long as at least 41 senators vote to do so. The GOP only had 40 votes at that time and didn't get the 41st vote until Scott Brown took office in Feb 2010.

Please explain how the GOP had the power to stop anything between July 2009 and Feb 2010? No links, graphs, or quotes - just a simple explanation in your own words will suffice. Thanks.
I commonly post in Nevada forums, having worked in Nevada for nearly 40 years, and own several ranches in Nevada, and have family in Nevada, I am sorry that my posting upsets you. You may be angry because the "new economy" the Post Bush economy has passed you by, I am truly sorry for that, but, the recession is certainly a problem for those without a college education. I assume you are unemployed due to the time you seem to have to look up stuff on the internet.

I like the chart, charts are handy, succinct representations of fact. Problem for Conservatives is that they don't like facts, for some odd reason they prefer belief, even if the facts are contrary to the belief

A few more facts:
Quote:
The nature and frequency of filibusters has changed since then, and what politicians think of them often depends on who is in power. In 2009 and 2010, with Democrats in control of the Senate, Republicans launched a record number of filibusters, forcing more than 90 “cloture” votes, which require 60 senators to agree to limit debate on a measure before it can move to a vote. Republicans said they often had no choice since Democratic leaders denied them the opportunity to offer amendments to legislation more than 40 times.

In December 2010, frustrated by routine filibusters and other procedural blockades, Senate Democrats urged their leadership to negotiate with Republicans to change the rules that govern how the Senate does business. A number of them proposed requiring senators to remain on the floor of the chamber during a filibuster, a step that would likely to have dramatically shortened them.
You might also spend some time getting up to speed on "Blue Dog" Good luck!

Last edited by .highnlite; 09-18-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I commonly post in Nevada forums, having worked in Nevada for nearly 40 years, and own several ranches in Nevada, and have family in Nevada, I am sorry that my posting upsets you. You may be angry because the "new economy" the Post Bush economy has passed you by, I am truly sorry for that, but, the recession is certainly a problem for those without a college education. I assume you are unemployed due to the time you seem to have to look up stuff on the internet.

I like the chart, charts are handy, succinct representations of fact. Problem for Conservatives is that they don't like facts, for some odd reason they prefer belief, even if the facts are contrary to the belief

A few more facts:

You might also spend some time getting up to speed on "Blue Dog" Good luck!
First, I don't have a problem with you posting here, but I will call your integrity into question when I see it. In this post (which you replied within my original post), you said "you have? I don't recollect posting on the NV forum".

Second, I can assure you that I'm extremely fortunate to have a job that pays extremely well and gives me plenty of time off. It is you who I wonder about, who is like the CD Forum version of herpes as you always seem to have the last word. Don't worry, I'll let you have it here too.

Third, I'm not going to defend Bush's policies. Despite what he said, his actions were not of a conservative.

Fourth, charts and quotes are nice, but only when they answer the question. Between July 2009 and Feb 2010, the Dems effectively had 60 votes, enough to end or limit debate on any bill. You still have yet to answer how any GOP opposition could stop a bill from going forward. I am familiar with Blue Dogs, but if Harry Reid can't get his all of own party in line to simply allow vote on a bill, why would you blame the opposition for doing the same?

Old 09-19-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I've also gone round and round with him on taxes in the NV forum
. Sorta puts the lie on your premise, by your own words, curious.

Quote:
job that pays extremely well and gives me plenty of time off
Must work for Ndot, (the new WiFi'd shovel) or at least the state,

Quote:
Harry Reid can't get his all of own party in line to simply allow vote on a bill, why would you blame the opposition for doing the same?
As Will Rogers once said, "I am not a member of any organized Political Party, I am a Democrat"

Republicans are commonly baffled by the inability of Democrats to march in lock step. It has to to with the way Democrats see the world, as opposed to the hierarchical psychological operant of Conservatives. Conservatives like Hierarchy, gives them a feeling of security. Liberals do not see the world co equally, no leaders no followers. Conservatives as a rule simply cannot comprehend that, which is why they love to comment on things like Air America or Rachel Maddow, thinking that Liberals follow some leader, as the Conservatives follow their truly bizarre talking heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of: