Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:27 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times

Advertisements

I am really grateful that I am in a right to work state. I used to belong to the union, but after some of their shenanigans, I fired them. They act like spoiled bullies. They say membership gives you a voice, but it really doesn't. They have a very skewed political agenda and will not consider any other position regardless of whether you are a member or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 01:43 PM

2,849 posts, read 4,521,584 times
Just because 1 union treated you badly, doesn't mean they are ALL that way.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
Just because 1 union treated you badly, doesn't mean they are ALL that way.
I didn't say they were. I was making the point that I am glad to have the choice.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Everdeen,
Yes, you have a right to receive wages and benefits fought for, and paid for by others. You are a freeloader that increases costs for other members no different than being on welfare! You also weaken the cause for which others fight on your behalf, because you are lazy and have a feeling of entitlement.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:19 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
I had to catch myself from jumping back into this thread as the OP clearly stated that he didn't want debate being for or against unions but I do want to express one sentiment if I may.

I'm not trying to be part of ganging up on you, Everdeen, but for me, being in a union is all about SOLIDARITY. When a member has a choice of joining or not joining or as you put it, "firing" your union, it dilutes that solidarity and therefore the purpose of having a union and collective bargaining in the first place. Mr. Willys points out why an open shop is in fact not the most effective in my opinion. Thus, in the long run, results in lower wages and benefits in general compared to those in states without "Right to Work."

Old 12-17-2012, 02:23 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
SOLIDARITY.

OK, I wasnt gonna say a word but you brought up this SOLIDARITY stuff.....

Lemme tell ya a story TRUE story.

In 1972 I went to work for Whittlesea Blue Cab in las Vegas.....The Teamsters Union was on strike and Whittlesea was hiring NON-Union drivers to work during the strike [Yes I AM a PROUD SCAB]

Anyway ......at this same time, the Teamsters Union International was holding their convention at the Las Vgas Convention Center.

Roy williams was running against Jimmy Hoffa......

I pulled up in front of the convention center and 4 men got into the cab. I recognized Roy Williams from the newspapers.... I politely said "Mr. Williams, I feel like I should tell you that the Teamsters Union is on strike against THIS company and I am a NON-Union driver."

His reply, and this is a DIRECT word for word quote. "**** em, take me to the Hilton."

So much for your union "SOLIDARITY"

Old 12-03-2015, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 559 times
Can the union force a company to sign into a union aggrement because of a major project that requires union employees to work it ( in nevada )

Old 12-04-2015, 04:18 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETAILDAVE View Post
Can the union force a company to sign into a union aggrement because of a major project that requires union employees to work it ( in nevada )
I don't think so, but then I don't think that company would be eligible to bid on the contract either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of: