Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times

Advertisements

Education Week: States Show Spotty Progress on Education Gauges

Just something for all the "Las Vegas schools aren't so bad" crowd to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Interesting that the article states that Nevada ranked as a D, but lists Nevada in the C- category in the list on the right of the article. Perhaps the author was a CCSD graduate?

I noticed that Idaho ranked poorly as well, and I found that surprising. When I lived in Idaho (Pocatello), I had some of the best teachers I've ever encountered. Granted, that was a long time ago.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:32 AM

557 posts, read 793,333 times
I may be in the minority here, but my child seems to be more challanged here than back East. The communication between the teacher and us has been really good. The only issue I could see in our school is class size, but overall we are very happy with our school.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
My daughter has three classmates in her 4th grade class that take extra courses because of English being their second language. At the beginning of the year, there were five. On top of that, just about every two months my daughter is talking about a new student in class or a classmate that is moving to a new school.(most of the time it's out of town).

A very transient city with a high Spanish speaking population=Difficult school system

Just look at the recent threads in this section of the forum. "I'm moving to Vegas soon, what are the good safe areas for me and my family"? It's the middle of the school year.

At least the military tries not to move a family with grade school kids till the summer. During the school break is when you see the most "we just got orders to Nellis...".

What can we do but focus on our own individual kids.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
I may be in the minority here, but my child seems to be more challanged here than back East. The communication between the teacher and us has been really good. The only issue I could see in our school is class size, but overall we are very happy with our school.
CCSD Is a troubled school system but there are pockets of success stories spread out. This year my daughter has the best teacher she could ever have.(young, energetic, new to teaching so not stuck in old ways, loves her career, patient).

Last year she had the worst teacher possible. It was the teacher's last year teaching so I think her efforts were more into post teaching moves. (Over 30 years teaching, no patience, grumpy, hard for me to communicate with, didn't believe in extra credit, biased against the valley)

Hit or miss.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-11-2013, 03:50 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Everywhere you go there are SH**TY school systems and great ones.... Take California for instance.. Also keep in mind that each and every List, Poll, Report, etc is going ot be different and skewed to whomever is doing it....

Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
If you go to the education forum, similar problems exist across the US. Teachers all over complain about the same things that teachers here complain about. I have only taught here, so I have no other frame of reference. We do have some very high performing schools, but there are so many poor performing schools that it paints the entire district as bad.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:53 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
At this link, you can see the NAEP results. Although Nevada is low, there are several states below us. Another interesting correlation from the graph is how it shows the correlation between poverty and test scores.

Shanker Blog » Which State Has "The Best Schools?"

Old 01-12-2013, 01:20 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Everywhere you go there are SH**TY school systems and great ones.... Take California for instance.. Also keep in mind that each and every List, Poll, Report, etc is going ot be different and skewed to whomever is doing it....

lipstick on a pig. the schools are bad as well as the universities in Nevada.

education is (generally) not valued or needed in Nevada.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,227 times
This is a depressing thread. I was fortunate to attend the best private schools in America in Connecticut from the time of grade school. While it's true there are many paths to success, I had a huge advantage every step of the way based on my superlative private grade school / high school education. I was able to enroll in a top Ivy League school with copious AP credits and a lot more confidence to succeed than those who came from public schools; I ended up with 3 Ivy League degrees (2 are Masters) while graduating at the top of my class from each institution - pedigree that has made a big difference in my professional career.

Now I have a young son about to enter grade school and looking at the test scores out here even the top rated schools like Meadows, Las Vegas Day and Henderson International don't seem to hold a candle to the schools back East. Looks like we'll be moving to the dreadfully cold and tax repugnant East Coast to give my son the same opportunities in life I had. When I look at my classmates from even grade school, benefits that accrue early in life certainly seem to persist...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada