Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:52 PM

26 posts, read 31,761 times

Advertisements

Considering an MRI Tech job at Carson Valley Medical Center.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 07:42 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
More than you can ever imagine coming from such an urban area. Douglas county has less than 50,000 people and is at the edge of the great Sierra Nevada mountains.
Douglas County, Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
One only needs to say Sierra Nevadas, as Sierra, in Spanish, means mountains. Sierra Nevada Mountains is from the Department of Redundancy Department.

Anyway, Northern Nevada has all kinds of critters running around.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Buzz,
Read the second and third paragraph:
Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sierra means mountains in Spanish, and Nevada means snow capped mountains, so in English it must mean Sierra Nevada mountains, because Sierra Nevada is a name that loses its original intent without translation.
Honestly, REALLY!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 PM

211 posts, read 333,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Buzz,
Read the second and third paragraph:
Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sierra means mountains in Spanish, and Nevada means snow capped mountains, so in English it must mean Sierra Nevada mountains, because Sierra Nevada is a name that loses its original intent without translation.
Honestly, REALLY!
Actually, Sierra is Spanish for saw, and is also applied to sharp and jagged mountain range
Nevada, simply means snow covered, on could have a Carcachita Nevada

Calling the Sierra Nevada, the Sierra Nevada Mountains would be like calling the Rocky Mountains, the Rocky Mountains Montanas.

A proper noun does not have to have an intent, it simply is, like Robert, or Sam.

One may properly call the Sierra Nevada, the Sierra, but not the Sierras. Unless you were talking about the Sierra Nevada and the Sierra Madre, those could be the Sierras.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:35 AM

First of all Wiki is not exactly the Encyclopedia, it is contributed to by regular folks. I saw some errors in the first couple of paragraphs. Sierravillian is correct. Also, a mountain range in silhouette appears to be serrated ...like a saw. Hadn't really thought of it, but I guess una Montaña would be one of the serrations separate from the others. ¿Verdad?

As far as the original question, you'll find all the usual suspects in and near the mountains. Where are you from now, and what kind of critters do you have there?

PS: I hope we don't get into another argument about the "Sierra" not being in Nevada.

Last edited by Buzz123; 05-21-2013 at 12:44 AM..

Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 AM

211 posts, read 333,666 times
Quote:
PS: I hope we don't get into another argument about the "Sierra" not being in Nevada.
I cannot think of a range with the term Sierra within the state of Nevada, although there are ranges such as the Rubies than could be called a Sierra, perhaps the Sierra Rubi.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM

Mount Rose is at 10,775 and is part of the Sierra Nevada range, and 100% in Nevada.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:45 PM

There was an earlier argument about whether any part of the Sierra Nevada lies within Nevada. But it does show up on the map that a small part is in Nevada. I haven't checked, but I was under the impression that Mt. Rose was not in the Sierras.

Also, I think that maybe local preference applies to the name Sierra(s) just like it applies in New Mexico to the Sandia(s) mountain range. But I seldom hear long time Northern Nevadans say Sierra Nevada Mountains. I do hear it here in the south. It's appalling to me how ignorant people at both ends of the state are about the other. 49 years ago I came here from West Virginia, "The Mountain State". All kids in West Virginia have been taught West Virginia History. That probably started right after it became a state in 1863. But I don't think other states do that, or if they do, it's not as comprehensive.

Anyway, what was the O/P's question?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Mount Rose is part of the Carson range which is a spur of the Sierra Nevada. I believe the Sweetwater range is another spur.

Funny Buzz, you came from the mountain state, to the most mountainous state.

Last edited by MrWillys; 05-21-2013 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada