U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2013, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Pahrump, NV
2,185 posts, read 2,954,419 times
Reputation: 1946

Advertisements

air internet sold earlier this year, from 2 local guys to some larger company that is based (i think) in colorado. i know one of the original owners of air internet & he says the new company isn't offering the same level of support as he used to give.

good luck! i'm planning to sign up for the verizon broadband connection later this month. i'll let you know how it goes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 PM
 
Location: 89061
28 posts, read 111,493 times
Reputation: 18
cre8lite, verizon broadband? i checked and they dont offer broadband here in Pahrump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Pahrump, NV
2,185 posts, read 2,954,419 times
Reputation: 1946
yes they do - you have to go to the store on the corner of basin & hwy 160 to get it. you won't find it on verizon's webpage. i have the flyer right here in my hand, it says:

verizon homefusion broadband harnesses the power of the verizon 4g lte network to give you a lightning fast internet connection in your home. starting at $60/mo, or $20 if you add it to your share everything plan. features & benefits:
* fast internet: 5-12 mbps download, 2-5 mbps upload
* wireless router included
* connect up to 20 wifi enabled devices & 4 wired ethernet connections
* up to 5 email accounts included
* no extra charge for professional installation
* no activation fee
* no reoccurring device rental fees
* no equipment charge with a 2 yr agreement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 10:05 PM
 
Location: 89061
28 posts, read 111,493 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
air internet sold earlier this year, from 2 local guys to some larger company that is based (i think) in colorado. i know one of the original owners of air internet & he says the new company isn't offering the same level of support as he used to give. ....
I called the number on the air-internet site and it went to Digis so I asked questions, etc and ended up ordering their 10Mbit internet and VOIP phone. We'll see how that goes. I will use my own router so hopefully my connectivity issue will be solved. But it'll be 2x the internet speed (supposedly) so at least that is satisfying in some way. Digis allows 200GB per month. Hopefully our DirecTV doesn't use more than 100GB per month since we record lots of shows to be viewed later. We'll see how that goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 PM
 
Location: 89061
28 posts, read 111,493 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
yes they do - you have to go to the store on the corner of basin & hwy 160 to get it. you won't find it on verizon's webpage. i have the flyer right here in my hand, it says:

verizon homefusion broadband harnesses the power of the verizon 4g lte network to give you a lightning fast internet connection in your home. starting at $60/mo, or $20 if you add it to your share everything plan. features & benefits:
* fast internet: 5-12 mbps download, 2-5 mbps upload
* wireless router included
* connect up to 20 wifi enabled devices & 4 wired ethernet connections
* up to 5 email accounts included
* no extra charge for professional installation
* no activation fee
* no reoccurring device rental fees
* no equipment charge with a 2 yr agreement
That's interesting, okay. Good to know, thanks! I don't like the idea of "starting at $60/mo" or the 2 year agreement part. I'd prefer to stay below $60 for internet. But I'm glad you are considering it. I hope it works out well for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2013, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Reno
843 posts, read 1,829,442 times
Reputation: 583
I'd recommend checking your area for interference. I have terrible WIFI connectivity on 802.11g in the 2.4ghz range because there are dozens of people running 2.4ghz WIFI in my area. I moved my 802.11n network to 5ghz and the my connections are that are rock solid. I would think your Macbook supports 5ghz, not all 802.11n devices do though... almost certainly the WAP provided by your ISP doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2013, 03:45 PM
 
Location: 89061
28 posts, read 111,493 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
I'd recommend checking your area for interference. I have terrible WIFI connectivity on 802.11g in the 2.4ghz range because there are dozens of people running 2.4ghz WIFI in my area. I moved my 802.11n network to 5ghz and the my connections are that are rock solid. I would think your Macbook supports 5ghz, not all 802.11n devices do though... almost certainly the WAP provided by your ISP doesn't.
We will be using our own router here soon, and I will make sure it is set for dual-band (N for me and G for my parents). I'm not allowed to change any settings on the router CMA provided for us. It's totally locked down. So we are switching to Digis internet on the 21st and I will be using my own router. I'll do some diagnostics, etc and see which channels are best for my area. For now, I can only use the internet when my parents are not using their computer. Not sure why it matters, but for some reason it does. We have used these same computers on our wifi for at least a year (since I got my Macbook Pro late August last year) and never had a problem. So since my parents are out in Vegas currently I have the house to myself and can use our wifi without a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2013, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Reno
843 posts, read 1,829,442 times
Reputation: 583
Sounds like you have things in hand... there are some free tools out there that will help determine how many and what channels are active in your area... I usually use inSSIDer but there are others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Pahrump
2 posts, read 11,977 times
Reputation: 10
Directv does not provide internet directly. They use HughesNet. Look at the reviews on HN and judge from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Pahrump
2 posts, read 11,977 times
Reputation: 10
There is another company working I it's way into Pahrump called LVNET.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top