U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:28 PM

1,887 posts, read 2,056,206 times

Advertisements

The 10 happiest states are: The 10 Happiest States In The U.S. | Co.Exist | ideas + impact

1 Hawaii
2 Colorado
3 Minnesota
4 Utah
5 Vermont
6 Nebraska
7 Montana
8 new Hampshire
9 Iowa
10 Massachusetts

And there are five states--West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Arkansas--that have ranked at the bottom since 2008. This probably has a lot to do with poverty levels in those states--but more importantly, these states rank poorly on all of the factors surveyed. West Virginia is actually ranked 38th for "work environment," but 50th on everything else. Behold, the 10 least happy states in the country, ranked from happiest to least happy.
  1. Nevada
  2. Indiana
  3. Louisiana
  4. Ohio
  5. Alabama
  6. Arkansas
  7. Tennessee
  8. Mississippi
  9. Kentucky
  10. West Virginia
All dark red states with the exception of Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:11 PM

4,575 posts, read 9,640,895 times
We're unhappy because of biased journalism!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:32 AM

12,686 posts, read 31,886,108 times
Sorry, but we are in those best of/worst of articles all the time and we locals usually find that the writer never lived here and doesn't know shi*.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:03 PM

67 posts, read 172,677 times
Carson City, has been voted once again as the number one place to retire... That's a happy news.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:56 AM

24 posts, read 37,390 times
Horrible educational system (most of the states in the bottom 10 are also at the bottom of the educational spectrum), lower wages tilted towards unfulfilling service jobs, and high crime are a lot of the problem. We will always lead the pack in suicide rates due to being home to a disproportionate percentage of people with addictions (be it gambling, drugs, alcohol, etc), but that is known from the outset.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:46 AM

45 posts, read 75,126 times
Nevada is a much less depressing state than any of the states in the Deep South--don't let any of those lists fool you.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,975,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
The 10 happiest states are: The 10 Happiest States In The U.S. | Co.Exist | ideas + impact

1 Hawaii
2 Colorado
3 Minnesota
4 Utah
5 Vermont
6 Nebraska
7 Montana
8 new Hampshire
9 Iowa
10 Massachusetts

And there are five states--West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Arkansas--that have ranked at the bottom since 2008. This probably has a lot to do with poverty levels in those states--but more importantly, these states rank poorly on all of the factors surveyed. West Virginia is actually ranked 38th for "work environment," but 50th on everything else. Behold, the 10 least happy states in the country, ranked from happiest to least happy.
  1. Nevada
  2. Indiana
  3. Louisiana
  4. Ohio
  5. Alabama
  6. Arkansas
  7. Tennessee
  8. Mississippi
  9. Kentucky
  10. West Virginia
All dark red states with the exception of Nevada.
Utah is pretty "red". So are Nebraska and Montana! West Virginia and Ohio are actually really "purple" states, to be honest.

I don't see a political correlation at all.

Here's what I do see:

"Unhappy" states:

- Largely Southern (with the exception of NV, IN and OH)
- Heavily Union (NV, OH, WV, LA)
- Lots of mining (NV, WV, OH, KY)
- Heavily blue collar
- Large African American populations, with the exception of WV and NV, although I think NV's African American population might be growing again in Las Vegas.

"Happy" States:

- Largely Northern, except HI.
- Very scenic
- Largely Caucasian, with decent-sized Hispanic and Asian minority population in CO, UT. The inverse being true for Hawaii.
- Colder climates with more snow, with the exception being HI again...
- Very small African American populations.
- More tech workers, less blue collar.

But as anyone can tell you, "happiness" is relative. I would be much happier in Las Vegas, NV than I would be in St. Paul, MN, I can assure you!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:49 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,975,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson City View Post
Carson City, has been voted once again as the number one place to retire... That's a happy news.
Sorry, not for me!

I drove through there this past May and there was snow falling...

The Reno/Carson area is too cold.

Count me among those who would rather be over in the Mesquite, NV or St. George, UT areas!

I actually wish there were a really nice retirement community somewhere between and Las Vegas and Mesquite, that would be very ideal!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:00 PM

4,575 posts, read 9,640,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Sorry, not for me!

I drove through there this past May and there was snow falling...

The Reno/Carson area is too cold.

Count me among those who would rather be over in the Mesquite, NV or St. George, UT areas!

I actually wish there were a really nice retirement community somewhere between and Las Vegas and Mesquite, that would be very ideal!
Yeah, the Winters are milder further South, but at a cost. Windows are open, and it's below 80 right now. Also, that hard freeze we get kills all the insects, so their season here is limited.

That said, yes, we can have snow in early October, and late May. Mid December through the end of February can be quite cold. However, some feel it's worth it for a mild Summer. Our AC gets used in July, and part of August.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 7,518 times
Any golfers on here...looking at moving to Carson city or dayton...love peace and quiet...low humidity, lots of sunshine...love kayaking...lake Tahoe? Or washoe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada