U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,195 times

Advertisements

I have been working for this company for almost 3 years. Over the weekend I injured my ACL.
I do not have sick or vacation pay to use for this time off. I have had some other issues happen.
Here it Thursday, and I have all ready gotten sick about going back to work on Monday.
I am going to see my Dr. tomorrow to explain what is going on.
My question is:
If my health is at risk, and I need to quit my job because of all the stress that my boss has placed on me...threats of losing job, YELLING at me in front of other employees, write up that have no reasoning.
and being reminded everyday, how i am not able to think, just do. When that is a BIG part of my job.
Am I able to collect unemployment then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 08:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 31,817,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frustratedtoday View Post
I have been working for this company for almost 3 years. Over the weekend I injured my ACL.
I do not have sick or vacation pay to use for this time off. I have had some other issues happen.
Here it Thursday, and I have all ready gotten sick about going back to work on Monday.
I am going to see my Dr. tomorrow to explain what is going on.
My question is:
If my health is at risk, and I need to quit my job because of all the stress that my boss has placed on me...threats of losing job, YELLING at me in front of other employees, write up that have no reasoning.
and being reminded everyday, how i am not able to think, just do. When that is a BIG part of my job.
Only if your doctor states IN WRITING that your illness is a result of the specific things in your job that are making you sick, and if he/she recommends IN WRITING that you need to quit the job in order to get better. Otherwise, man up. BTW: The best way to handle a bully is to stand up to them. Oh, and if your doctor does put it in writing, ask him/her if he/she would be willing to go to the appeal hearing, because I'd bet there would be an appeal.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:18 PM

813 posts, read 1,113,580 times
How about FMLA Leave for your own serious health condition for either the ACL injury or stress disability. Do you work for a 50+ employee business? Check the FLMA website perhaps you might have coverage.

Sounds like you injured yourself off duty which might have upset your employer or more directly, your supervisor. Did you tell your employer how you got injured? Maybe how you got injured is part of the problem?

I assume you don't have a Union to file a grievance on your behalf?

I

Last edited by Packrat1; 10-17-2013 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 PM

11,980 posts, read 23,473,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
How about FMLA Leave for your own serious health condition for either the ACL injury or stress disability. Do you work for a 50+ employee business? Check the FLMA website perhaps you might have coverage.

Sounds like you injured yourself off duty which might have upset your employer or more directly, your supervisor. Did you tell your employer how you got injured? Maybe how you got injured is part of the problem?

I assume you don't have a Union to file a grievance on your behalf?

I
Fmla doesnt pay anything. Nevada's disability rules are lousy. Just went through this

Old 10-18-2013, 06:04 AM

813 posts, read 1,113,580 times
Correct FMLA doesn't pay anything but it allows you to keep your job.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:01 AM

678 posts, read 1,643,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frustratedtoday View Post
I have been working for this company for almost 3 years. Over the weekend I injured my ACL.....
No, you are not entitled to unemployment if you quit your job.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,989,941 times
It sounds like your problem is an on-going issue with your boss. You need to work it out with your boss, or you will be better working somewhere else if you are capable of finding another job anyway.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:18 AM

17,629 posts, read 35,987,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
No, you are not entitled to unemployment if you quit your job.
That's a common misunderstanding. As Buzz123 indicates above, (and in other circumstances as well) there are scenarios in which a person can quit his or her job and collect unemployment.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:46 PM

2,373 posts, read 3,956,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That's a common misunderstanding. As Buzz123 indicates above, (and in other circumstances as well) there are scenarios in which a person can quit his or her job and collect unemployment.
Easier said than done. I have yet to witness anybody collecting un-employment after quitting a position due to a hostile work environment. Proving it at a hearing is next to impossible unless everybody in work environment comes out and makes the same claim.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:14 AM

17,629 posts, read 35,987,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Easier said than done. I have yet to witness anybody collecting un-employment after quitting a position due to a hostile work environment. Proving it at a hearing is next to impossible unless everybody in work environment comes out and makes the same claim.
That is a hard one to prove. But, that's not the only reason for quitting that is not disqualifying for unemployment. My post was responding to the one stating that someone who quits is never eligible, which is not true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada