Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 14,273 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to either Fallon or Fernley.

Things I need to consider as highest priority are:

the school system (elementary presently);
safe daycare/after school options for 6yo;
activities(SPORTS, with fair coaching, fair playing time and good skill-building)/recreation center for 6yo child;
medical care (pediatrics, primarily - no major illnesses to consider);
veterinary care (dogs,cats, other small critters);
and a "positive" feel amongst the people, versus repressed or depressed - would appreciate honest opinions
on how different races/cultures mix/treat each other.

Would like a house with a yard - may want to rent at first to make sure we like it and the job pans out. Credit not so great (despite being a home owner of an LV home for 11 years to present) and animals, so would need a flexible home-owner or agency.

I would be content with a WalMart and a thrift shop close by (know that these two cities/towns are about half hour apart so...).

I know that Fernley has a significantly larger population yet hear (/more about) that Fallon is "bigger" ??? What does that mean?

Thanks for any/all input!

Last edited by kaqfour; 02-06-2014 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: to add information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 14,273 times
Also, I prefer cooler weather and greenery (tired of desert and the different shades of brown!) - is one of these more cool and/or green than the other??

Old 05-10-2014, 06:45 PM

414 posts, read 973,124 times
If your job does not factor into it, then I would say Fallon.

Fernley unfortunately has become a suburb of Reno. A lot of people live there who commute to Reno every day. They also had a major flood a few years back when an irrigation ditch broke. Hundreds of homes were flooded. You will want to make sure you do not buy one of them or even buy in the area of where they were located. You never know if the ditch is going to flood again.

Fallon is nice and open with few large subdivisions of the same homes. You can get as large of a lot as you want. Fallon Naval Air Station is where the Navy does its Top Gun school so you get to see jet fighters flying almost every day.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:58 PM

42 posts, read 127,572 times
I am a teacher, and I have lived all over Northern Nevada all my life. I would say Fallon all the way. The whole vibe of Fallon is so much friendlier and nice compared to Fernley. Quite frankly, I feel there are a lot of "transients" that go through Fernley...and every time I stop there even for gas, I get hit up by crackheads. It's cheap to live there and close to Reno.. but the amenities are lacking and the crime is high for such a small town. The culture is lacking as well. For example, there is no movie theater- which many will argue that there is one just 30 minutes away to Sparks- but that drive is a little stressful, it's very curvy and windy and good luck in the snow, it's a nightmare!

My dad lives in Silver Springs- about 12 miles from Fernley, and 9 times out of 10, he would rather drive 30 minutes to get to Dayton than stop in Fernley for anything.

I would say that weather wise they are both hot and dry and brown... but Fallon has some charming alfalfa farms that make you feel like you are away from the desert. They also have a fun cantaloupe festival and air races every year. I feel that hands down the schools are much better there as well. I've met a lot of happy people from Fallon (I can't say the same for Fernley).

I would also recommend checking out Carson City. I was born and raised there. It is much closer to the Sierra Nevadas and much more green. Also, there are a lot of foreclosed homes and home owners willing to do owner carries... especially if you are willing to live in a mobile home. The schools are great too. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2014, 09:09 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
So there are no longer concerns about the former (I assume) childhood leukemia cases in Fallon???

No way would I move to a town with that in its history...but that's just me and everyone is welcome to their own opinion on this.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:03 AM

1 posts, read 6,327 times
So, I was going to ask about the leukemia clusters, as well, and I saw this last post addressing this very issue. The last studies I found were conducted in about 2003. Have there been any recent developments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada